All Things Charleston 411

ChucktownSteve

I seem to remember from previous visits to Charleston there was a free trolley. Is there a stop near the ship pier? Also, is the Gibbs art gallery open again? Thanks!

Yes the Gibbs is open.

They stopped using the trolley and transitioned to small buses. Here is the CARTA map and bus schedule. All the routes go to the Visitor Center on John Street then the green route to the Market. http://www.ridecarta.com/wp-content/...11_21_2016.pdf

BTW the Green DASH (Downtown Area Shuttle) route also goes to the Cruise Terminal at the end of Cumberland and the Market on Concord. A lot of people like the Fleet Landing Restaurant next to the cruise terminal.

I "found" it!

Hope people come here to ask questions, several of us from the Charleston area are ready to help you!

Thanks ChuckTownSteve for starting the NEW Charleston thread... here's hoping it gets 100 plus pages of great info...

I've clicked on the link and don't get it! I am interested in excursions that pick up at port -

especially harbor cruise and planation(s) tours. Can anyone help - thanks.

I've clicked on the link and don't get it! I am interested in excursions that pick up at port -

especially harbor cruise and planation(s) tours. Can anyone help - thanks.

Apparently someone decided to delete the thread.

I don't recall hearing much about excursions operating at the port other than by the cruise lines. You could take a pedicab, cab or Uber to the harbor cruise dock. Plantations are even more difficult. Have you tried visiting the Convention & Visitors Bureau web site?

If you can put a group of people together from your roll call, perhaps you could find a tour company that would pick you up at the port? http://www.charlestoncvb.com/plan-your-trip/tours-attractions~204/

Yes the Gibbs is open.

They stopped using the trolley and transitioned to small buses. Here is the CARTA map and bus schedule. All the routes go to the Visitor Center on John Street then the green route to the Market. http://www.ridecarta.com/wp-content/...11_21_2016.pdf

BTW the Green DASH (Downtown Area Shuttle) route also goes to the Cruise Terminal at the end of Cumberland and the Market on Concord. A lot of people like the Fleet Landing Restaurant next to the cruise terminal.

We're staying at the Embassy Suites, Historic district before our cruise. We will have no vehicle. I was thinking of taking a taxi to the port, but this post made me think........I believe the DASH stop is close to our hotel. would we look like complete dweebs to try to get on this bus with all our luggage? Is there room to accommodate that? TIA

We're staying at the Embassy Suites, Historic district before our cruise. We will have no vehicle. I was thinking of taking a taxi to the port, but this post made me think........I believe the DASH stop is close to our hotel. would we look like complete dweebs to try to get on this bus with all our luggage? Is there room to accommodate that? TIA

Actually where you drop your luggage is not at the cruise terminal. You enter the Union Pier gate at Concord & Laurens close to the Maritime Center. Concord no longer continues through. Concord stops at the Laurens gate and picks up Prichard. That area has been converted into luggage drop off and BMW transport ship storage.

Thus I would recommend taking the taxi (or Uber as some suggest). Your hotel desk or concierge can call one for you.

Returning to Charleston after it was just a stop from Baltimore, like many have said, just not enough time, especially when we needed to pit stop at the minute clinic. The bus system was amazing, received that tip off here and worked well. Beautiful city in just the small amount of time we had.

2 questions...Do you know what hotels offer park and cruise in the Charleston Area...2nd if you only had time to do one plantation visit which one would it be? Thanks.

Returning to Charleston after it was just a stop from Baltimore, like many have said, just not enough time, especially when we needed to pit stop at the minute clinic. The bus system was amazing, received that tip off here and worked well. Beautiful city in just the small amount of time we had.

2 questions...Do you know what hotels offer park and cruise in the Charleston Area...2nd if you only had time to do one plantation visit which one would it be? Thanks.

Glad you found the contributions of the Charleston posters useful.

Re: the one plantation...everyone has their favorite. I tend to favor Middleton Place. It has the formal gardens, an original out house (the original house was destroyed by Sherman) which they turned into a house tour. There's also a restaurant on property. They have what is said to be the original Camellia brought over from England which are a type of tea plant brought over by Andre Micheaux. They also have a beautiful Butterfly lakes overlooking the Ashley River. However there are plantations others may prefer.

The park and cruise hotels tend to be in North Charleston and further from the downtown/port are than other properties. I'd suggest you look at the Charleston CVB web site for packages. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/special-offers/packages/stay/

Check out the rate without the package to see how much they really charge for leaving your car there. You may be better off with parking at the port for the difference since it's only a five day cruise. But you need to do the math. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning everyone. We're still in the (very) early stages of planning a Spring 2019 cruise and (assuming the itineraries remain constant) are interested in a 9 day out of Baltimore with a stop in Charleston from 7-4. We'd like to do Fort Sumter and are also interested in the Tea Plantation. Given that the first ferry to the Fort is at 9:30, and the tour/trip lasts about 2.5 hours, is it doable (and/or worth it) to try and squeeze the Tea Plantation in after that? Or would we be better served sticking around Downtown? Thanks in advance.

Good morning everyone. We're still in the (very) early stages of planning a Spring 2019 cruise and (assuming the itineraries remain constant) are interested in a 9 day out of Baltimore with a stop in Charleston from 7-4. We'd like to do Fort Sumter and are also interested in the Tea Plantation. Given that the first ferry to the Fort is at 9:30, and the tour/trip lasts about 2.5 hours, is it doable (and/or worth it) to try and squeeze the Tea Plantation in after that? Or would we be better served sticking around Downtown? Thanks in advance.

I doubt you have time to visit the tea plantation. If the ship leaves at 4, all aboard will be around 3 or a little after. Sound like you won't get back from Ft. Sumter until at least noon, so you only have 3 hours to get down to Wadmalaw Island, tour the plantation, and then get back. You would be rushing the entire way. And if you want to take a lunch break in between, forget it. Personally I'd stick to downtown. Enjoy Ft. Sumter at your leisure, then wander downtown, walk along the battery and down some of the residential streets to admire the gardens etc., and have a fabulous lunch. It will make for a much more relaxed day. Oh, and there's a shop in the market where you can buy tea from the Charleston Tea Plantation. :)

I have 2 questions for you.

Does Boone Hall still have a fabulous wildflower patch down the dirt from the house. I recommend friends to visit May or June to see it, and I worry that it's not there any more.

Does 82 Queen still have the best shrimp and grits in the world? I know it's my opinion, but I know I'm right!!

Thanks for being willing to share your knowledge of beautiful Charleston.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Does 82 Queen still have the best shrimp and grits in the world? I know it's my opinion, but I know I'm right!!

Thanks for being willing to share your knowledge of beautiful Charleston.

I can't speak to 82 Queen since I haven't eaten there in decades. However here is an article titled 10 places for great Shrimp and grits. http://charleston.eater.com/maps/best-shrimp-and-grits-charleston

And here's another source with many of the same restaurants in the above article.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/charleston/the-10-best-charleston-restaurants-for-shrimp-grits

YMMV so happy hunting. Perhaps you can try each one?

I

Does Boone Hall still have a fabulous wildflower patch down the dirt from the house.

Does 82 Queen still have the best shrimp and grits in the world?

I haven't been to Boone Hall for a tour in over 20 years. I'd just call and ask about the wildflowers.

As for shrimp and grits, the best are found at my house, but I'm busy that day and can't make them for you. :')

In all seriousness though, it really depends on your tastes. Practically every restaurant around features them, but they all add their own touch or variation so it just depends on exactly how you like them. That makes it difficult for someone else to tell you if a particular restaurant's version is "the best." :)

That's why it's just my opinion. No andouille, brown gravy, 82 Queen's just had creamy grits, shrimp, a very mild bbq sauce and a sprinkle of chopped green onions. Yum!

That's why it's just my opinion. No andouille, brown gravy, 82 Queen's just had creamy grits, shrimp, a very mild bbq sauce and a sprinkle of chopped green onions. Yum!

Grits themselves are an art.... If you have someone that can make GOOD grits then the rest is "easy"...

But I've had too sweet, to spicy, just right but tails on the shrimp... sausage when there should be none, baby shrimp, to big (yeah they were to big) shrimp. As Waterbug says, the best are at my house... for me!

So I hope 82 Queen's still has your Fav! (I've not been there in years myself)

Grits themselves are an art.... If you have someone that can make GOOD grits then the rest is "easy"... But I've had too sweet, to spicy, just right but tails on the shrimp... sausage when there should be none, baby shrimp, to big (yeah they were to big) shrimp. As Waterbug says, the best are at my house... for me! So when are you inviting me over? ;p

So I hope 82 Queen's still has your Fav! (I've not been there in years myself)

Whatever you do, make sure you NEVER eat at a restaurant that uses instant grits!!!! :eek:

Whatever you do, make sure you NEVER eat at a restaurant that uses instant grits!!!! :eek:

That would be blasphemous!

BTW just did a 4 night on the NCL SKY, not bad. Had a bunch of people onboard tell me how much better NCL was compared to Carnival. I asked them how many NCL cruises they had been on and how many Carnival cruses... plenty of NCL, not one Carnival BECAUSE Carnival was terrible... how do you know if you have never been on one? I just don't understand that mind thought. Oh well... The SKY did have a unique thing, all passengers (over 21) had free booze. So no card to show, no ticket to sign, just ask and the drink was handed over. I did tip ($1) a good bit and it was amazing how fast my service was!

In May the SKY is going to overnight in Cuba on it's 4 night cruises....

Hi guys, our upcoming cruise in May stops in Charleston and wanted to see which of the following tours people would recommend we choose:

1 Boone hall and plantation 4 hours includes some time in historic district of C.

2 historic walking tour with Nathaniel Rus (2.75hr)

3 fort Sumter 4.5hr. Includes tour of historic district

4 magnolia gardens 4 hrs includes Audubon Swamp Garden, nature train, magnolia house

5 Drayton hall 3 hr.

6 kingdom by the sea 3 hr. Hampton park and citadel and Presbyterian church

Thanks

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Hi guys, our upcoming cruise in May stops in Charleston and wanted to see which of the following tours people would recommend we choose:

1 Boone hall and plantation 4 hours includes some time in historic district of C.

2 historic walking tour with Nathaniel Rus (2.75hr)

3 fort Sumter 4.5hr. Includes tour of historic district

4 magnolia gardens 4 hrs includes Audubon Swamp Garden, nature train, magnolia house

5 Drayton hall 3 hr.

6 kingdom by the sea 3 hr. Hampton park and citadel and Presbyterian church

A lot would depend upon your personal likes/interests and how much time you have on your port of call. Are these all ship excursions?

Yes all ship excursions... they are "free". We arrive 2pm and leave 4pm the following day.

Just realised the lay tour is on the first day so will sign up for that. The others are all the next morning.

As Australians we would love to see a plantation property (but we will also be visiting Savannah and other areas of the south on a separate road trip).

The fort doesn't really appeal.

We are very open to suggestions

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums