All Things Charleston 411

ChucktownSteve

Thanks guys. I had already checked the 'special events' calendar and it looks OK for the weekend we're there (19/20 Aug). Unfortunately (I think:confused:), I've got 5 years to go to qualify for the senior rate, but its nice to know you're thinking of the old folks Steve!!

Simon

Thanks guys. I had already checked the 'special events' calendar and it looks OK for the weekend we're there (19/20 Aug). Unfortunately (I think:confused:), I've got 5 years to go to qualify for the senior rate, but its nice to know you're thinking of the old folks Steve!!

Simon

Your signature says you are in the UK...just be aware that in mid Aug it will be HOT and HUMID here. So bring and wear appropriate clothing and stay well hydrated. ;)

We went to Boone Hall a few years ago and I think we were there close to 3 hours, start to finish. We did a guided house tour which was maybe 45 minutes. Then we walked around the gardens and grounds for a bit on our own. Then we went down by the old slave quarters and watched a presentation on the slave experience and Gullah culture that I thought was well done. I would say between 2.5 and 3. Hours to see it without rushing, depending on the timing of tours you might want to do.

Thanks BM...thats really helpful. Another quickie, as it was mentioned about going to PP, then Ft S, then back to PP, I assume PP tickets are valid all day and you can come and go no problem.

Simon

I believe that they are... The Ft. Sumter boat is actually behind where you would get a ticket for the Yorktown, at least it was years ago when I went with family in town. Regardless when leaving to go the FS, just ask for re-entry pass/stamp/wristband. Should be no problem....

Thanks BM...thats really helpful. Another quickie, as it was mentioned about going to PP, then Ft S, then back to PP, I assume PP tickets are valid all day and you can come and go no problem. Simon

The Ft Sumter and PP ticket windows are adjacent to each other and are clearly marked. Your PP ticket stub gets you in and out of PP all day long as you come and go. It includes the three ships down the pier, the Medal of Honor Museum in the Yorktown's Hangar Bay II and the nearly 3 acre Vietnam Experience exhibit which is land side.

You can either do the PP self walking tours or you can rent an audio tour guide for $6. I recommend that because as you go to an exhibit you just enter the exhibit number and it gives you a good description. There are also bonus audios of actual sailors and volunteers sharing their experiences.

Thought y'all would like to know,

Charleston Water Taxi announced that their Waterfront Park dock that was damaged during Hurricane Matthew has reopened. The water taxi is departing at :15 past the hour (9:15am-7:15pm ) seven days a week. Waterfront Park is located at the end of Vendue Range and Concord...about two blocks or so from the cruise terminal walkway.

Because a lot of visitors mention the Charleston Water Taxi, I wanted you to know they have just raised their rates from $10 to $12 pp for an all day ticket. That's still a very good value to go between two downtown locations and two Mount Pleasant locations.

I discovered it when I was doing further research after my last post:).

• 2 weeks later...

Read through this new thread, not much info on Hotels for one night before a cruise (night of Nov 3, 2017. Not looking for anything fancy, and doesn't have to be "right in the heart of things." Looked at Best Western in Mt. Pleasant, seems to be a reasonable rate for one night. Parking at the port, so no need for specials.

Any recommendations? Is it safe in Mt. Pleasant? Saw on google maps a Mobile gas station nearby the Best Western that looked shutdown and had a bit of graffiti on it. Just checkin...

We stayed in Summerville last time, but that's quite a drive.

Prices "in town" seem way high (200 a night? Yikes :confused:).

Any other places to avoid when looking for a night-before hotel?

Thanks,

GP

Looked at Best Western in Mt. Pleasant, seems to be a reasonable rate for one night. Parking at the port, so no need for specials.

Any recommendations? Is it safe in Mt. Pleasant? Saw on google maps a Mobile gas station nearby the Best Western that looked shutdown and had a bit of graffiti on it. Just checkin...

Generally speaking, Mt. Pleasant is very, very safe. The Best Western is just over the bridge from downtown, in an area clustered with budget hotels, but also just a couple minutes from shopping and restaurants. I live in Mt. Pleasant and can't picture what gas station you're referencing. There's a closed down restaurant on a corner near the hotel area, but I can't recall a closed down restaurant. Real estate doesn't usually stay vacant very long here; business/building are booming. Personally, I think Mt. Pleasant is your best option. Downtown Charleston can be pricey, and the West Ashley part of Charleston isn't nearly as nice IMHO as Mt. Pleasant. Summerville, as you've noted, is not convenient to downtown and I'd avoid North Charleston like the plague.... not as convenient as Mt.P, not that nice, and far more crime!

Generally speaking, Mt. Pleasant is very, very safe. The Best Western is just over the bridge from downtown, in an area clustered with budget hotels, but also just a couple minutes from shopping and restaurants. I live in Mt. Pleasant and can't picture what gas station you're referencing. There's a closed down restaurant on a corner near the hotel area, but I can't recall a closed down restaurant.

The Mobile is that gas station right at the corner of 17 and Magrath Darby Blvd (the one that goes by WCBD-TV). It had a "Welcome Visitors" sign up at one time. I think when they made that not a thru street it kinda killed it for a gas station.

If you were to pick a hotel area in Mt. Pleasant that would be iffy this is the area.... having said that it's better than lots of other places.... and still pretty safe. The Red Roof Inn and Day's End have sketchy pasts....

Quality End on the corner of Coleman and the Patriots Point Rd. (the extension of Magrath Darby) at rates that might appeal to you and although near the others, a bit better. Restaurant/gas station in walking distance.

https://www.choicehotels.com/south-carolina/mount-pleasant/quality-inn-hotels/sc064/rates?adults=2&checkInDate=2017-11-03&checkOutDate=2017-11-04

On the Nov. 3rd there is a rate of $106 for pre-paid room

If you were to pick a hotel area in Mt. Pleasant that would be iffy this is the area.... having said that it's better than lots of other places.... and still pretty safe. The Red Roof Inn and Day's End have sketchy pasts....

Quality End on the corner of Coleman and the Patriots Point Rd. (the extension of Magrath Darby) at rates that might appeal to you and although near the others, a bit better.

True, but Mt. P is still very safe compared to North Charleston for instance. The area in question is fine, just doesn't have the "personality" that other parts of town do. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Hampton or HIE that are in that area though. Personally my first choice would be one of the hotels along the Isle of Palms connector, but it's further from downtown and usually the prices are higher given its proximity to the beach and Town Center.

Read through this new thread, not much info on Hotels for one night before a cruise (night of Nov 3, 2017. Not looking for anything fancy, and doesn't have to be "right in the heart of things." Looked at Best Western in Mt. Pleasant, seems to be a reasonable rate for one night. Parking at the port, so no need for specials.

We stayed in Summerville last time, but that's quite a drive.

Prices "in town" seem way high (200 a night? Yikes :confused:).

Any other places to avoid when looking for a night-before hotel?

Thanks,

GP

You may reconsider parking at port if your hotel allows you to park there free for the cruise duration. For a 7 day cruise you're looking at $119 to park at the port. $15 to Uber to port from Mt. P is much cheaper than $119 to park. ;)

We normally cruise out of Port Canaveral and love the stay/park/cruise options there. Anything like that available for Charleston?

Personally we liked the Mainstay Suite in Mt. P. It was around $100/$150 for a 2bd/2ba room and they allowed us to keep our car there for the week for free. Uber was $15 to port. (Parking would have been $119 at port)

Wow Guys and Gals!

Lots of great info. We appreciate it all. If only all the threads were this informative.

One other question, since we're going with another couple (maybe three couples total), any opinions on a beach house rental for one night? I know sometimes they have a 3 night minimum, or a high cleaning fee that makes it not worth it, but just throwing that out there, in case anyone knows of something along those lines.

All three couples are good friends, so we can share amenities (i.e. bathroom) in a house/condo, would just like separate bedrooms. :cool:

GP

Wow Guys and Gals!

Lots of great info. We appreciate it all. If only all the threads were this informative.

One other question, since we're going with another couple (maybe three couples total), any opinions on a beach house rental for one night? I know sometimes they have a 3 night minimum, or a high cleaning fee that makes it not worth it, but just throwing that out there, in case anyone knows of something along those lines.

All three couples are good friends, so we can share amenities (i.e. bathroom) in a house/condo, would just like separate bedrooms. :cool:GP

Hi GuitarPlayer,

You need to decide which beach you want to stay at and if price is a consideration. There's Isle of Palms, Folly Beach, Sullivans Island, Kiawah and Seabrook. Different rental companies cover each area. I believe many rental houses are week long not one or two nights. You may be able to rent a condo for less time at Kiawah but it's 45 minutes from downtown Charleston. There are also condos at Isle of Palms. The most expensive tend to be Kiawah/Seabrook, Isle of Palms, Sullivans Island then Folly. Each has its own lifestyle type.

Here is a link to the beach rental page at the Charleston Convention & Visitors web site. No sense reinventing the wheel. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/beaches/where-to-stay/charleston-beach-rentals/

Hope y'all have a great visit & cruise.

Isle of Palms oceanfront homes might be available beginning of Nov but lots will be in winter rentals (Oct-April). IOP.net is the Islands website, lots of free info and list of rental companies... you can also get a free t-shirt by filling out a form!

Sullivan's Island has very few short term rentals, the Town Council made very restrictive rules and unless you were currently renting out (grandfathered in) you could not do it. If you quit doing it you cannot go back to it. Might be a handful but most will be in winter rental mode (Oct-April).

Kiawah/Seabrook are so far away it would be the beach only.... Seabrook is similar to Sullivan's Island...

Hope this helps.... FYI from late April to Labor day weekend the minimum days for a rental are generally 3 days to a week, Most oceanfront homes are a full week and start around $4000 (+taxes and fees) going up past 10k. The few homes on SI would be the same.

As already confirmed, one night rentals for beach houses will be all but impossible. But honestly, why worry about getting a house if it's only for 1 night? Just get hotel rooms for that short a stay. No hotels on Sullivan's Island, and IMHO Kiawah/Seabrook are too far to worry about for one night. Stay at Wild Dunes on Isle of Palms, or at Folly Beach.