All Things Charleston 411

ChucktownSteve

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

No, sorry.  Since I live here (and have for 25 years) I've never taken one.  I would suggest checking Trip Advisor to see if you can find any reviews.  Also google trolley tours.  I think there's a trolley that maybe does a tour (not certain) from the visitor center; I don't actually recall seeing any big tour buses trying to navigate the downtown streets.  Not saying there aren't any, just that I don't recall ever seeing them, and I think they'd have a difficult time in that area.

All of the van tours operate out of the shed at the Visitor Center on Meeting at John. You can buy tickets inside the Visitor Center, walk up to the van you like or possibly purchase advance tickets online. Trip Advisor was a good suggestion.  There are no big buses allowed in the heart of the downtown area except for specific outlying routes like Lockwood, Meeting to the Visitor Center and near the port on Concord.

I'd also visit www.charlestoncvb.com to search info on van tours.  I believe you can still ride the downtown CARTA DASH trolleys for free but they're only transportation without any tour.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

13 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

All of the van tours operate out of the shed at the Visitor Center on Meeting at John. You can buy tickets inside the Visitor Center, walk up to the van you like or possibly purchase advance tickets online. Trip Advisor was a good suggestion.  There are no big buses allowed in the heart of the downtown area except for specific outlying routes like Lockwood, Meeting to the Visitor Center and near the port on Concord.

I'd also visit www.charlestoncvb.com to search info on van tours.  I believe you can still ride the downtown CARTA DASH trolleys for free but they're only transportation without any tour.

Thanks. Yes I am looking at the mini van tours from the visitor center shed. Also researching the DASH routes.

On 5/27/2018 at 9:41 AM, TruckerDave said:

Well, Ft Sumter IS part of the national park service, so yeah they kind of run it. (the boats out and back are not NPS but contracted to take people to the fort) Don't know how much more time you need out there. There really isn't much out there, once the rangers give their little talk and you walk around a bit, there really isn't much else to see. (Ft Moultre is much more fun to wander around and explore in my opinion). As far as the Hunley goes...you only get to see the sub itself for maybe 5 minutes, the rest of the tour is just the history of it and what happened to her. Total time, maybe an hour. Not really worth the time and expense to get there if only in town for a few hours. If in town for a few days and have a car (assuming here on a weekend) then absolutely go and visit. (especially if it is a rainy or hot summer day).

I would like to visit Ft. Moultrie. Can you tell me about how long a ride it is from the cruise port to the fort? I want to make sure I have enough time. I'm also wondering if I should take an Uber or if there are any sort of tours that run there. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Edited by LynnT3

7 minutes ago, LynnT3 said:

I would like to visit Ft. Moultrie. Can you tell me about how long a ride it is from the cruise port to the fort? I want to make sure I have enough time. I'm also wondering if I should take an Uber or if there are any sort of tours that run there. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Ft. Moultri is on Sullivan's island. You'll either have to Uber or taxi.  No tours stop there. Depending upon time of day, other than afternoon rush hour, it should take about 20-25 minutes

On 11/4/2018 at 8:37 AM, ChucktownSteve said:

Ft. Moultri is on Sullivan's island. You'll either have to Uber or taxi.  No tours stop there. Depending upon time of day, other than afternoon rush hour, it should take about 20-25 minutes

I'd take Uber to the fort on Sullivan's Island.  Then assuming the weather is good, walk the mile or so back to the Middle Street/Station 21-22 area and grab a burger at Poe's Tavern if you can find a table.  It's a local institution.  Or for a more "foodie" meal, The Obstinate Daughter.  Other options in the same couple of blocks:  Mex 1 Cantina, Home Team BBQ, and Dunleavy's Pub.  Then Uber back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

An Uber to Sullivan's Island would be the way to go. It shouldn't be too much from the port, and I highly recommend Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan's Island for food after your Ft. Moultrie visit. Uber is super easy to get here and you'll hardly have to wait at all (especially downtown and near the cruise port, and when there's a ship in port). I don't know anyone who uses taxis. 

If you don't want to leave the peninsula, downtown Charleston has some amazing restaurants and you could uber or take a pedicab. 

Are Magnolia's and Blossom's still there?.........I will be in Charleston in April and was not planning to do any tours. (I have visited the city over the years but not recently.) You have some of the THE BEST restaurants:classic_biggrin:.....figured I would do lunch and then walk around a bit.

22 hours ago, Lois R said:

Are Magnolia's and Blossom's still there?.........I will be in Charleston in April and was not planning to do any tours. (I have visited the city over the years but not recently.) You have some of the THE BEST restaurants:classic_biggrin:.....figured I would do lunch and then walk around a bit.

Yes.   If the weather is nice though, my favorite lunch spot is the rooftop Pavilion Bar at the Market Pavilion Hotel.  Beautiful setting and views, and good food.  The tuna tower is one of my faves.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hannibal54 said:

In October 2019 the USS Saratoga is having a reunion there. My question is are there any other cruise lines besides Carnival that sail from that port. I may do the reunion & a cruise.

No.  Only Carnival sails from here. Other lines make port visits but only CCL has a ship based here. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2018 at 9:54 AM, waterbug123 said:

I don't know what all Royal lists for excursions here, so I don't know what you've already ruled out.  That said, some things other visitors tend to want to do include:

-Guided walking tour of historic downtown Charleston

-Tour of a plantation, like Boone Hall or Middleton Place (would require some kind of transportation)

-Visit the Yorktown; you can take the ferry or a quick Uber ride across the river to Mt. Pleasant to do this; follow with a short Uber ride to Mt. Pleasant's Shem Creek waterfront area for lunch

-Speaking of Shem Creek, if it's seasonally appropriate you book kayaking or paddleboarding there, or get a fishing charter

-Walk to the Battery & White Point Garden, then meander back through the residential streets throughout the tip of the downtown peninsula; there are beautiful homes and gardens to enjoy as your stroll

-Visit the SC Aquarium

-Stroll along King St, wander into the shops, and then have a great meal of one of downtown's many fantastic restaurants

-Depending on the season, some enjoy the beach (the county park beach on Isle of Palms has restrooms and showers) or golf if that's your thing

How far is Boone Hall from the port? Is it the best plantation to visit? Can you recommend any tour/excursion local companies to use? There are 7 in our party, so we could easily arrange a private independent excursion. FYI, Charleston is a port day visit for us; we are obviously restricted to port times 😉. TIA.

On 1/5/2019 at 5:14 AM, villauk said:

How far is Boone Hall from the port? Is it the best plantation to visit? Can you recommend any tour/excursion local companies to use? There are 7 in our party, so we could easily arrange a private independent excursion. FYI, Charleston is a port day visit for us; we are obviously restricted to port times 😉. TIA.

Boone Hall is about 11 miles from the port in Mt Pleasant.  The other popular one is Magnolia Plantation and garden in the west Ashley part of Charleston. It is about 13 miles from the port.  (mileage can vary a tad depending on route taken to get there).   Can't comment on any excursion or transportation to either as I live here. 

3 hours ago, TruckerDave said:

Boone Hall is about 11 miles from the port in Mt Pleasant.  The other popular one is Magnolia Plantation and garden in the west Ashley part of Charleston. It is about 13 miles from the port.  (mileage can vary a tad depending on route taken to get there).   Can't comment on any excursion or transportation to either as I live here. 

Thanks. Is one better than the other?

On 1/8/2019 at 2:25 AM, villauk said:

Thanks. Is one better than the other?

I have only been to Boone Hall once and that was for a food festival a couple years ago, so I only did a quick walk around so I can't honestly give a detailed/knowledgeable reply on it.  (from what I did see it was nice). I have been to Magnolia quite a few times to take pictures and play tourist. And I do like it, especially in the spring when the flowers are in bloom, plus there are plenty of good photo ops. (If that is a thing for you).    Sorry I can be of more help. 

3 minutes ago, TruckerDave said:

I have only been to Boone Hall once and that was for a food festival a couple years ago, so I only did a quick walk around so I can't honestly give a detailed/knowledgeable reply on it.  (from what I did see it was nice). I have been to Magnolia quite a few times to take pictures and play tourist. And I do like it, especially in the spring when the flowers are in bloom, plus there are plenty of good photo ops. (If that is a thing for you).    Sorry I can be of more help. 

Thank you for replying 😉. We’re still undecided but are definitely looking forward to our Charleston visit.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Anyone stay at the King's Inn  in Charleston historic district?

the location looks good  but wonder if the rooms are small ?

Also time to get  from Historic district  to airport ?

Travel time to airport will probably be about 1/2 hour give or take. (could be a little  longer if during morning/afternoon rush).   Never stayed at that property as I live here, but probably a pretty good bet the rooms are smaller than what you would find by the airpot or off the peninsula.

14 minutes ago, TruckerDave said:

Travel time to airport will probably be about 1/2 hour give or take. (could be a little  longer if during morning/afternoon rush).   Never stayed at that property as I live here, but probably a pretty good bet the rooms are smaller than what you would find by the airpot or off the peninsula.

Thanks  Dave

Just wanted to give plenty of time to make our flight   it will be a weekday  so will allow  more time

On 1/7/2019 at 10:29 PM, TruckerDave said:

I've lived here 25 years and haven't been to either since shortly after moving here so dont recall details.  Try their websites. or go to Trip Advisor and look at visitor descriptions and photos.

On 1/9/2019 at 4:35 PM, LHT28 said:

Anyone stay at the King's Inn  in Charleston historic district?

the location looks good  but wonder if the rooms are small ?

Also time to get  from Historic district  to airport ?

In non-rush hours downtown to airport can be 15-20 min.  If you hit rush hour. particularly afternoon rush hour which is worse in that direction, it could easily take 45 min.  Add an accident or other traffic tie-up at any time and you can count on delays.  (Charleston is a great place, but infrastructure, including roads/interstates, has become woefully inadequate for the population surge that has taken place.  Combine that with the multitude of bridges -that obviously limit routings anyway- taking traffic over the intracoastal, multiple rivers, and largecreeks, and a tie up on one commuter routing can cause tie-ups on multiple others.

So happy to have stumbled across this thread and I have much to continue reading. We will be taking the Ecstasy out of Charleston Mid March. Taking Amtrak down from NJ which will get us in the evening before the cruise around 7/8PM. I've read some worrisome articles about the amtrak station in north charleston. Originally I envisioned we would just reach out for an uber when we arrived, now I'm wondering if we should have a taxi schedule/waiting for us so my family and I are not standing around looking lost/helpless. Any suggestions? Should I be worried about getting into the station in the evening? (not that I have any other options at this point..)..We're staying at Elliott house the evening we get in. Does anyone know if any taxis or car services come with car seats? (highly unlikely...)

Thanks!

I live in the Charleston area but have never gone in or out of the Amtrak station here.  But it does have a reputation for being pretty sketchy.  If you need car seats, I think your best bet is to look into car services.   Taxis and Uber cars are unlikely to just randomly have them, but a car service that is arranged in advance may well be able to provide one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

I live in the Charleston area but have never gone in or out of the Amtrak station here.  But it does have a reputation for being pretty sketchy.  If you need car seats, I think your best bet is to look into car services.   Taxis and Uber cars are unlikely to just randomly have them, but a car service that is arranged in advance may well be able to provide one.

A lot of Ubers do have car seats. You can request a car seat when making your Uber call.