All Things Charleston 411

ChucktownSteve

Yes all ship excursions... they are "free". We arrive 2pm and leave 4pm the following day.

Just realized the lay tour is on the first day so will sign up for that. The others are all the next morning.

As Australians we would love to see a plantation property (but we will also be visiting Savannah and other areas of the south on a separate road trip).

The fort doesn't really appeal.

We are very open to suggestions

Then I would suggest you do the Boone Hall Plantation with time in the Historic District. Boone Hall touts itself as the most photographed plantation and has been the setting of many well known movies and Television series in the U.S.

Every plantation has it's unique history and layouts. You can't say because you've seen one, you've seen them all. :) It might be interesting for you to visit plantations in several places you stop so you can determine for yourself how they differ by geography.

Then I would suggest you do the Boone Hall Plantation with time in the Historic District. Boone Hall touts itself as the most photographed plantation and has been the setting of many well known movies and Television series in the U.S.

Every plantation has it's unique history and layouts. You can't say because you've seen one, you've seen them all. :) It might be interesting for you to visit plantations in several places you stop so you can determine for yourself how they differ by geography.

Ok sounds like a good choice for a first time visitor... we had temporarily selected Drayton Hall based on some minimal research.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

We toured Boone Hall Plantation when we visited Charleston three years ago and I really enjoyed the visit. We did a guide-led house tour and then walked down to the slave quarters row to see a presentation about the Gullah culture and the lives of the slaves. It was really well done and the grounds were gorgeous, we walked around the gardens for a bit on our own after the presentation.

We also walked around the historic district on our own before a walking Ghost Tour. We are cruising out of Charleston this summer and are looking forward to seeing more of the historic district and also hopefully visiting the Fort. It's a beautiful city.

The new Charleston cruise terminal is expected to be tied up in the courts for at least another couple of years according to the guy who built Charleston's cruising to what it is today. However, he's leaving his position at the ports authority though. In the article he said the available 104 annual cruise call limit on Charleston is sold out through next year and 2019 is expected to also sell out.

If you wish to read more about Charleston's cruising, here's the article from Seatrade Cruise News that may interest you. http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/charleston-s-cruise-leader-takes-an-early-buyout-but-plans-to-stay-in-the-business.html

Hi guys, our upcoming cruise in May stops in Charleston and wanted to see which of the following tours people would recommend we choose:

1 Boone hall and plantation 4 hours includes some time in historic district of C.

2 historic walking tour with Nathaniel Rus (2.75hr)

3 fort Sumter 4.5hr. Includes tour of historic district

4 magnolia gardens 4 hrs includes Audubon Swamp Garden, nature train, magnolia house

5 Drayton hall 3 hr.

6 kingdom by the sea 3 hr. Hampton park and citadel and Presbyterian church

Thanks

I would skip Drayton hall and either do Magnolia or Boone Hall. Much more to see at those two than there is at Drayton.

I would skip Drayton hall and either do Magnolia or Boone Hall. Much more to see at those two than there is at Drayton.

Thanks for that, everyone on here seems to be voting Boone. Interestingly, on TA someone recommended Drayton stating it is the only one with the original house from the 1700's and claiming that Boone was built in 1930 as an idea of a plantation house.

Thanks for that, everyone on here seems to be voting Boone. Interestingly, on TA someone recommended Drayton stating it is the only one with the original house from the 1700's and claiming that Boone was built in 1930 as an idea of a plantation house.

If you're into architecture, then Drayton Hall is the Plantation to visit. The house is preserved not restored. There are no furnishings at all. You will see it in it's original form.

You're correct about Boon Hall.

Magnolia Plantation moved their "house" to the property, I believe in the 1970's. They force their flowers to bloom year round for the visitors. Of all the plantations, I'd liken it to more of a Disney experience without being a Disney experience. They have a tram ride and snack bar.

Middleton Place plantation is in my opinion the more beautiful and also original with America’s Oldest Landscaped Gardens. You can see the formal gardens, butterfly lake overlooking the Ashley river and an original flanking house built in 1755. The main house was destroyed by Union General Sherman. However the foundation and other flanking house foundation show where they were positioned. Middleton wasn't included in your original options. Middleton has an on property southern style restaurant.

Here's a link to their history https://middletonplace.org/history.html

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Looking for park & cruise hotels with shuttle to port. Will be arriving 2 days early so recommendations for Charleston tours would be appreciated.

The Charleston Convention & Visitors Bureau has a web page dedicated to Stay and Cruise. Some may have transportation but you could use Uber or a taxi too for not a lot of money if you're closer. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/special-offers/packages/stay/

You might also compare the added cost of the hotel parking/stay package to their regular room rate vs. parking for the short cruise at the terminal. There is also the convenience of not waiting for transportation to and from the port. The options are yours to select.

I hope Steve or Dave can help me get my head round this (a long shot , I know!!).

We want to do Ft Sumter and Patriots Point on the same day. If we do Ft Sumter first and get the boat from Liberty Sq, can we get a boat to Patriots Point or have you got to use the same boat back to Liberty Sq? This would mean we have then got to get the water taxi over to PP...correct? If so, do we need to pre book the water taxi, or is it OK to buy tickets on the day in case plans change? (though I will pre book Ft S and PP, so will almost certainly use water taxi).

On the other day of the weekend (we arrive at Embassy Suites on Fri 18th Aug, leave Monday) plan is to ride the 3 routes of the Carta Dash buses and end up near Anson St and ride either Old South or Palmetto (any difference?). Does this sound like a plan? I realise we should have time to do other stuff too, but these are my 'primary objectives'!

Thanks for help and comments.

Simon

I hope Steve or Dave can help me get my head round this (a long shot , I know!!).

We want to do Ft Sumter and Patriots Point on the same day. If we do Ft Sumter first and get the boat from Liberty Sq, can we get a boat to Patriots Point or have you got to use the same boat back to Liberty Sq? This would mean we have then got to get the water taxi over to PP...correct? If so, do we need to pre book the water taxi, or is it OK to buy tickets on the day in case plans change? (though I will pre book Ft S and PP, so will almost certainly use water taxi).

On the other day of the weekend (we arrive at Embassy Suites on Fri 18th Aug, leave Monday) plan is to ride the 3 routes of the Carta Dash buses and end up near Anson St and ride either Old South or Palmetto (any difference?). Does this sound like a plan? I realise we should have time to do other stuff too, but these are my 'primary objectives'!

Thanks for help and comments.

Simon

Simon,

Yes it sounds like a plan.

Regarding getting the Ft Sumter tour from downtown and ending up at Patriots Point, I don't think you can do it. Besides even if you could, you'd have to spend way too much time (the equivalent of two tours) before catching the second boat. That's time you'd miss at Patriots Point.

The water taxi starts from the Maritime Center (closest to the Embassy Suites) at 9:30am and runs hourly on the half hour. http://www.charlestonwatertaxi.com/departing-downtown-charleston/ The First Ft. Sumter Tour leaves from PP at 10:30. So that works.

Or you can take the three hour Ft. Sumter tour at 3:30pm. ^Note the 3:30pm tour departing from Patriots Point this tour is a 3 hour tour and the boat makes a brief interim stop at Liberty Square before and after Fort Tour.

However the cost for the water taxi is one fee for the entire day. If you buy the water taxi tickets in advance you'll pay an advance 20% fee. Thus take that into account.

Both Old South and Palmetto are good choices. I've always recommended Palmetto for a variety of reasons I don't wish to go into here. But Old South is also professional.

Since you're going to Patriots Point, don't forget one of my postings near the beginning of the thread that will give you a Cruise Critic discount coupon code to use when buying their tickets online. Patriots Point also has an online convenience fee for pre-purchased tickets.

You can get a coupon for Palmetto Carriage here. https://travelerofcharleston.com/coupons/

Did I answer your inquiry sufficiently?

Edited by ChucktownSteve

You can have your gold star Steve!:D

That more or less confirms what I thought. One last thing. Bearing in mind this is an August weekend, is it better to do the two days in any particular order? I'm thinking PP might be more popular with families on a Sunday.

TTFN

Simon

You can have your gold star Steve!:D

That more or less confirms what I thought. One last thing. Bearing in mind this is an August weekend, is it better to do the two days in any particular order? I'm thinking PP might be more popular with families on a Sunday. Simon

Thankx but I'd prefer a scotch on the rocks. ;)

In Summer, tourists who drove to Charleston (families), tend to leave for home on Sunday. Saturday will probably be more busy for Ft Sumter Tours and Patriots Point. However since the Patriots Point is so large, you won't have a problem either day. The Ft Sumter boat is limited to a couple hundred seats per trip. But if you pre-purchase those tickets as you indicated, you won't have a problem there either.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Thanks Steve. As your reward, heres a whole lot of Scots on the Rocks!

scotch_on_the_rocks_200.jpg

though I'm sure you'd prefer one like this.

johnnie-walker-black-label.jpg

Cheers!

Simon

Thankx I'll take you up on it when I run out of Blue and Platinum. ;p

IMG_2146_zpsbptdon1r.jpg

We'll be embarking in Edinburgh the beginning of August. So maybe I'll get to see those Scots on the rocks firsthand. Cheers. Enjoy Charleston!

If you're into architecture, then Drayton Hall is the Plantation to visit. The house is preserved not restored. There are no furnishings at all. You will see it in it's original form.

You're correct about Boon Hall.

Magnolia Plantation moved their "house" to the property, I believe in the 1970's. They force their flowers to bloom year round for the visitors. Of all the plantations, I'd liken it to more of a Disney experience without being a Disney experience. They have a tram ride and snack bar.

Middleton Place plantation is in my opinion the more beautiful and also original with America’s Oldest Landscaped Gardens. You can see the formal gardens, butterfly lake overlooking the Ashley river and an original flanking house built in 1755. The main house was destroyed by Union General Sherman. However the foundation and other flanking house foundation show where they were positioned. Middleton wasn't included in your original options. Middleton has an on property southern style restaurant.

Here's a link to their history https://middletonplace.org/history.html

I was going to mention Middleton but didn't only because it was not on the posters list. But it is probably the best of the "big 3" here in West Ashley.

Plan D for Charleston!

More logistics problems!!! Ok, my wife says she would like to go to Boone Plantation and I've sort of added the Hunley to the list, so (bearing in mind we've got a car) would it be practical (timewise) to go to the Hunley about 1030ish on Saturday, then Boone Plantation, then Patriots Point (as its sort of over that way) and do Ft Sumter and Carriage ride on Sunday, or would you do Hunley, Boone and Carriage on Saturday and leave Ft S and PP until Sunday?

Decisions, decisions!!:confused:

Simon

Plan D for Charleston!

More logistics problems!!! Ok, my wife says she would like to go to Boone Plantation and I've sort of added the Hunley to the list, so (bearing in mind we've got a car) would it be practical (timewise) to go to the Hunley about 1030ish on Saturday, then Boone Plantation, then Patriots Point (as its sort of over that way) and do Ft Sumter and Carriage ride on Sunday, or would you do Hunley, Boone and Carriage on Saturday and leave Ft S and PP until Sunday? Decisions, decisions!!:confused: Simon

Make sure you purchase the Hunley tickets in advance. They're limited. I would do the Hunley in the morning. Followed by the Carriage tour, then Boone Hall.

The next day I would do Patriots Point & Ft. Sumter from Mt. Pleasant. You can go early to PP and visit the almost 3 acre Vietnam exhibit then board the Ft. Sumter boat about 10:30. When you return, you could spend as much time visiting the carrier Yorktown, destroyer Laffey & submarine Clamagore as much as you desired without rushing.

Definitely combine Ft. Sumter and Patriots Point on the same day. Unless something has changed, I believe you can get a combo ticket to tour Patriots Point, and take the ferry from there to Ft. Sumter.

It's been over 20 years since I visited Boone Hall, so I can't advise on how much time to allow. It's on the other side of Mt. Pleasant from Patriots Point, so Patriots Point is actuallly closer to downtown Charleston than Boone Hall, although we're only talking maybe 10 minutes difference.

Definitely combine Ft. Sumter and Patriots Point on the same day. Unless something has changed, I believe you can get a combo ticket to tour Patriots Point, and take the ferry from there to Ft. Sumter.

It's been over 20 years since I visited Boone Hall, so I can't advise on how much time to allow. It's on the other side of Mt. Pleasant from Patriots Point, so Patriots Point is actuallly closer to downtown Charleston than Boone Hall, although we're only talking maybe 10 minutes difference.

On a Sat.Boone Hall can get busy depending on the date. Besides the plantation side it's also a working farm that has strawberries in the spring along with all kinds of veggies. It's a "pick your own" as well as being picked for sale onsite and in a shop nearby. They have events on some weekends:

http://www.boonehallplantation.com/special-events/

If you are coming on a weekend that an event is planned it's almost not worth going, traffic is a nightmare.

Fort Sumter/Yorktown combo tickets:

http://www.fortsumtertours.com/combos/fort-sumter-tour-uss-yorktown-combo/

Hope this helps!

The combo ticket saves $4 off the regular price of both attractions. If you are 62 and older, the Senior combo saves you $2.50. Bear in mind that Fort Sumter Tour purchases are non refundable but are transferable at least 24 hours prior to your booked tour time.