All Things Charleston 411

ChucktownSteve

...why worry about getting a house if it's only for 1 night? Just get hotel rooms for that short a stay...

We agree. Realized we wouldn't really get to enjoy the amenities of a beach rental just overnight, so we went a hotel in Mt. Pleasant.

*********** Thanks for all the info! ***********

This may come in handy if we bring the kids to town for a vacation.

GP

Generally speaking, Mt. Pleasant is very, very safe. The Best Western is just over the bridge from downtown, in an area clustered with budget hotels, but also just a couple minutes from shopping and restaurants. I live in Mt. Pleasant and can't picture what gas station you're referencing. There's a closed down restaurant on a corner near the hotel area, but I can't recall a closed down restaurant. Real estate doesn't usually stay vacant very long here; business/building are booming. Personally, I think Mt. Pleasant is your best option. Downtown Charleston can be pricey, and the West Ashley part of Charleston isn't nearly as nice IMHO as Mt. Pleasant. Summerville, as you've noted, is not convenient to downtown and I'd avoid North Charleston like the plague.... not as convenient as Mt.P, not that nice, and far more crime!

The high class rich folk live over in Mt Pleasant. ;p Us poor working stiffs are banished to West Ashley. :D.

Just kidding, my sister and her husband live in MP and I like to mess with them. (Of course they make fun of MP way more than I do and they live there). They only part of North Charleston that is "ok" is by the Tanger Outlet/Airport hotel area.

The high class rich folk live over in Mt Pleasant. ;p Us poor working stiffs are banished to West Ashley. :D.

Just kidding, my sister and her husband live in MP and I like to mess with them. (Of course they make fun of MP way more than I do and they live there).

You mean "Mt. Plastic?" ;p

I live there, so I can say that LOL.

When my spousal unit and I got married she had a Mt. Pleasant condo and I had a West Ashley house. It was time to find "our" house. She kept dragging me over the old bridge to look in Mt. Pleasant while I kept dragging her back across to West Ashley. I won out after we found a 1/2 acre tree'd lot with nice sized house, close in, on a wildlife active tidal marsh.

IMG_0598_zpsvpflb8qi.jpg

We're ten minutes from downtown...ten minutes from the airport. Now she thanks me for us living in West Ashley. Gasoline and groceries are more expensive where "Mr. Plastic" lives. Traffic with northern driving habits seems more prevalent over there too. :p

As they used to say in that old car commercial, "Eggs are cheaper in the country."

PS: I work in Mt. Pleasant.

Hello Steve - and any other Charleston residents/experts out there!!!!

We're cruising on August 19th and are driving to Charleston on the 16th so we'll have two full days to explore the city. We've done a few day trips while visiting Litchfield by the Sea and Hilton Head but want to see things we haven't done previously. It's my husband and I, and three kids age 15, 16, and 20.

The kids wanted to do a water park one of the days and were very disappointed when we found out that the three Charleston County water parks go to weekends only on August 12. (We will be there the 17th and 18th which are a Thursday and Friday.) Are there any private water parks that would be open on weekdays later in the season? I couldn't find anything online other than the three CC ones. If not we'll probably do a beach day and was wondering which one(s) would be best for three active teens. We're staying in Mount Pleasant (Hampton Inn on the Isle of Palms Connector) but are up for driving. I have been told that Isle of Palms and Folly Beach are both beautiful and have day parking which should have plenty of spots on a weekday later in August. Which would you recommend for us?

I will probably be back with more questions as we brainstorm what to do for the sightseeing day (probably Fort Sumter, Patriot's Point, maybe walk across the Ravenel Bridge). We did the walking tour, plantation tour, city market, etc. on previous visits and are still figuring out everyone's lists for this visit. But in the meantime the kids were asking about water parks and beaches.

Thank you!!!!!

Boston Mom,

Nope. There are no other water parks because our tax dollars funded the facilities to put the private enterprise out of business. So You'll be stuck with the real beach. I recommend Isle of Palms since you're right there. It will be the most busy and there are plenty of bars and stores for you while the kids play. ;-)

It's really not worth the hour drive time each way to get to Folly Beach.

Thanks Steve! I figured the 3 county water parks were the only ones in town because I couldn't find anything else online - although I do remember there being a privately owned one years ago.

Isle of Palms beach was my thought too. My daughter's friend goes to U of C and kept telling her to go to Folly Beach. But looked like a long ride to me when there's Isle of Palms so close.

Thanks Steve! I figured the 3 county water parks were the only ones in town because I couldn't find anything else online - although I do remember there being a privately owned one years ago.

Isle of Palms beach was my thought too. My daughter's friend goes to U of C and kept telling her to go to Folly Beach. But looked like a long ride to me when there's Isle of Palms so close.

Folly is not as upscale as IOP so I can see why college kids go there. If you want to visit Folly Beach, I'd suggest staying in West Ashley. There are several properties by the Ashley River and the James Island Connector. Holiday Inn Riverview, Residence Inn and Springhill Suites. There's also a LaQuinta next to California Dreaming Restaurant. That overlooks the river and marinas.

We're staying in Mount Pleasant (Hampton Inn on the Isle of Palms Connector) but are up for driving. I have been told that Isle of Palms and Folly Beach are both beautiful and have day parking which should have plenty of spots on a weekday later in August. Which would you recommend for us?

Thank you!!!!!

As Steve said, no other water parks. Since you're staying on the IOP Connector, definitely go to an IOP beach instead of Folly. Folly has a much more casual eclectic vibe that IOP, and is popular with college kids, mainly because the surfing is better there and they used to have much more lenient alcohol laws but I believe that has changed. Not worth the drive, really, when your hotel is 5 min from a beautiful beach on IOP.

As soon as you cross the connector bridge to IOP, just go straight through the light. Just ahead of that you'll be able to turn left into another the county's IOP beach park. $5 (unless it's changed) to park, but well worth it due to the ease of parking during the week, and they have showers and changing cabanas, and I think a snack bar. Lifeguards too, if that matters. The beach elsewhere on the island is public, but parking regulations along the street are strict and have gotten stricter in the last year or two; if you miss a sign's parking instructions you could end up with a nasty ticket. As a general rule, I refer visitors to the county park beach.

Hello Steve - and any other Charleston residents/experts out there!!!!

We're cruising on August 19th and are driving to Charleston on the 16th so we'll have two full days to explore the city. We've done a few day trips while visiting Litchfield by the Sea and Hilton Head but want to see things we haven't done previously. It's my husband and I, and three kids age 15, 16, and 20.

The kids wanted to do a water park one of the days and were very disappointed when we found out that the three Charleston County water parks go to weekends only on August 12. (We will be there the 17th and 18th which are a Thursday and Friday.) Are there any private water parks that would be open on weekdays later in the season? I couldn't find anything online other than the three CC ones. If not we'll probably do a beach day and was wondering which one(s) would be best for three active teens. We're staying in Mount Pleasant (Hampton Inn on the Isle of Palms Connector) but are up for driving. I have been told that Isle of Palms and Folly Beach are both beautiful and have day parking which should have plenty of spots on a weekday later in August. Which would you recommend for us?

I will probably be back with more questions as we brainstorm what to do for the sightseeing day (probably Fort Sumter, Patriot's Point, maybe walk across the Ravenel Bridge). We did the walking tour, plantation tour, city market, etc. on previous visits and are still figuring out everyone's lists for this visit. But in the meantime the kids were asking about water parks and beaches.

Thank you!!!!!

Not sure if it would be worth it but Myrtle Waves would be an hour's drive from your location and would be open those days, if your kids really want a water park:

http://www.myrtlewaves.com/calendar.php

Wow, $5 to park is a VERY pleasant surprise! We have a vacation home on Cape Cod and the lot to park at the beach on our street is $30 non-resident for a day! Thank you so much Meg, I am taking note of the directions from the hotel to I of P beach. We will definitely hit that beach for one of the afternoons, and do a casual dinner in the area. We even love finding really good take out and eating on the beach and watching the sunset.

I think we went to Myrtle Waves when we were at Litchfield by the Sea a few years ago, if I am remembering right. The kids will be happy with a beautiful beach and good food though, particularly when we are going to do a day pass at one of the Bahamas resorts with water slides. But I appreciate the tip and will write it down just in case they are really sold on the water park.

Our rainy day plan is the aquarium. All five of us would enjoy that!

Wow, $5 to park is a VERY pleasant surprise! We have a vacation home on Cape Cod and the lot to park at the beach on our street is $30 non-resident for a day! Thank you so much Meg, I am taking note of the directions from the hotel to I of P beach. We will definitely hit that beach for one of the afternoons, and do a casual dinner in the area. We even love finding really good take out and eating on the beach and watching the sunset.

I think we went to Myrtle Waves when we were at Litchfield by the Sea a few years ago, if I am remembering right. The kids will be happy with a beautiful beach and good food though, particularly when we are going to do a day pass at one of the Bahamas resorts with water slides. But I appreciate the tip and will write it down just in case they are really sold on the water park.

Our rainy day plan is the aquarium. All five of us would enjoy that!

Be aware the aquarium isn't that big so it wont' take long to go through it. But it is right next to one of the dock for the boats to Ft Sumter (with Patriots Point being the other one).

On a side note...you are leaving on your cruise 2 days too early...the big total eclipse will be on the 21st (please please please weather gods can we have clear skies) and Charleston is one of the places that is in the perfect path. :D

Hi. Thinking of booking a carriage tour with Palmetto Tours on 5/14/17 . They offer all day parking at their check in location on Guignard St in Charleston SC for $14 per day. Can anyone tell me if that's a good location to park for the Harbor Tour plus any other sightseeing in downtown Charleston after the 1 hour carriage tour? Don't want to pay for all day parking there if have to move the rental car to other locations to see the other sights? Thanks.

Be aware the aquarium isn't that big so it wont' take long to go through it. But it is right next to one of the dock for the boats to Ft Sumter (with Patriots Point being the other one).

On a side note...you are leaving on your cruise 2 days too early...the big total eclipse will be on the 21st (please please please weather gods can we have clear skies) and Charleston is one of the places that is in the perfect path. :D

I heard Patriots Point is having some type of event/viewing of the eclipse on the flight deck but I don't know the exact details. Maybe it's on their web site.

Actually Dave, Charleston is on the south edge of the path. If you can get up to somewhere McClellanville and Bonneau you will have an extra minute of darkness. The eclipse is the only reason we are heading your way, and I've already picked my viewing spot directly under the centreline near Laurens on the way to Greenville. Hopefully, should have 2mins 37 seconds of totallity. We went to Germany in 1999 to see the one in Europe that year and an excuse for a weeks holiday. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday were sunny and hot. Guess which day was eclipse day when it chucked it down with rain!! It was still very weird for it to go pitch black at 11am...and it happens so quick too. Loads of info at http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html and don't forget

DON'T WATCH THE ECLIPSE WITH NAKED EYE OR SUNGLASSES...YOU CAN GO BLIND!

Eclipse glasses are cheaply available online...couple of dollars each.

Simon

Hi. Thinking of booking a carriage tour with Palmetto Tours on 5/14/17 . They offer all day parking at their check in location on Guignard St in Charleston SC for $14 per day. Can anyone tell me if that's a good location to park for the Harbor Tour plus any other sightseeing in downtown Charleston after the 1 hour carriage tour? Don't want to pay for all day parking there if have to move the rental car to other locations to see the other sights? Thanks.

Check the fine print again. I believe they say that parking is only for 2 hours, not all day..unless that's a new promotion. The entrance to the Palmetto parking lot is actually on Anson Street right next to Anson's restaurant. That location is great to walk the market area but it is a very hefty walk to the Harbor Tour at the Maritime Center on Wharfside Street near the Aquarium.

Not sure if it would be worth it but Myrtle Waves would be an hour's drive from your location and would be open those days, if your kids really want a water park:

http://www.myrtlewaves.com/calendar.php

From the IOP connector, Myrtle Waves can be closer to 90 minutes, especially given the construction that always seems to be happening on Hwy 17 in the Myrtle Beach area.

I double checked and in-season parking is now $10, but still worth it IMO for the ease and convenience of a one time visit. Here's the website for the county beach park:

https://ccprc.com/60/Isle-of-Palms-County-Park

You mentioned the aquarium for a rainy day and that's a good suggestion. I know with teens though, sometimes the more mundane is fine. So just in case......

Your hotel location on the IOP connection is directly adjacent to Mount Pleasant Town Center. It's like a mall, but you enter each store from outside, not inside like a true mall. Anchored by Belk, Barnes and Noble, and Bed, Bath and Beyond, plus lots of other shopping, a number of restaurants, and if needed for your teens on a rainy day/evening, a large multi-screen theater- Palmetto Grande. Very pedestrian friendly, and you can walk to Town Center from your hotel or drive about 1 minute to park closer, LOL. You are also about 1-2 minutes driving from another shopping center, The Shoppes at Seaside Farms. There is a Target, for any last minute forgotten sundries, and then a number of smaller shops and restaurants. Crave (restaurant) is one of my local favorites for lunch/dinner.

Thanks for the info on the parking at Palmetto's Carriage tours location. Yes I saw where they also offered the 2 hour parking option rather then the all day parking for the $14. Per your answer about the long walk to the harbor tour from there sounds like I'd go with that option instead. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info on the parking at Palmetto's Carriage tours location. Yes I saw where they also offered the 2 hour parking option rather then the all day parking for the $14. Per your answer about the long walk to the harbor tour from there sounds like I'd go with that option instead. Thanks again.

Another option is to take a two person pedicab to the Maritime center. I think it's under $10. However I don't believe they charge for parking at the Maritime Center. At least they didn't when I checked a couple of years ago. You can call Charleston Harbor Tours and ask them. They should know.

Hi. Flying into Charleston Sat 5/13/17 arriving late afternoon. Have a room booked at the Hawthorne Suites in N Charleston Northwoods Blvd for 2 nights prior to my cruise departure date on the 15th. Have read staying in N Charleston may not be the best idea for just that 1 arrival night plus 1 other full day thought I would just stick with it? Ended up booking a 1 hour carriage ride with Old South Carriage Co plus the 90 minute harbor tour on Mothers Day 5/14/17. Likely most restaurants extremely busy that day. Was looking at Hyman's restaurants website claims to be really popular with tourists I fall into that category. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Hi. Flying into Charleston Sat 5/13/17 arriving late afternoon. Have a room booked at the Hawthorne Suites in N Charleston Northwoods Blvd for 2 nights prior to my cruise departure date on the 15th. Have read staying in N Charleston may not be the best idea for just that 1 arrival night plus 1 other full day thought I would just stick with it? Ended up booking a 1 hour carriage ride with Old South Carriage Co plus the 90 minute harbor tour on Mothers Day 5/14/17. Likely most restaurants extremely busy that day. Was looking at Hyman's restaurants website claims to be really popular with tourists I fall into that category. Any thoughts? Thanks.

You're right next to/near lots of shopping and restaurants at Northwoods Mall and across Rivers Avenue.

I can't recommend Hymans seafood. IMHO the food is mediocre at best. Others may say differently. Your carriage driver will tell you it's the best seafood because if you use the free appetizer card he hands you, HE receives free food.

When you leave the airport to go to your hotel, you're going in the opposite direction of downtown Charleston, which is where the historic/tourist district and cruise ship port are, just FYI. The Northwoods area is fine, but nothing special; it could be Anytown, USA.... a ho-hum mall, strip shopping centers, chain restaurants, etc.

When you head downtown the next day, wait to leave the hotel until til 8:30 or 9:00. Otherwise you'll get caught in traffic with the masses who head downtown to work from N. Charleston, Summerville, Goose Creek, etc.

I have not been to Hyman's in 20 years. I'd say the description is accurate- it's popular with tourists, not locals. Nothing wrong with the food, but it's nothing special, and service was always good, back in the day, with a table-side visit at some point during the meal from one of the owners. Couldn't tell you about now though. The reason it's so popular is as Steve said- they hand out coupon cards left and right and the tourism professionals who give them out get comped when they are redeemed, so they will always tell you it's the best restaurant around. Charleston is a foodie town though, and there are SO many truly good restaurants downtown to choose from; no need to get stuck in a tourist trap like Hyman's or Bubba Gump's. Two of my personal faves are High Cotton and the Paviliion Hotel Rooftop.