Governor of Alabama boycotts Aruba

ScubaJim

Sure doesn't surprise me. I knew there was money there and probably some sort of political connection or this story, unlike so many other stories about kids missing (no matter where) . . . would have been yesterday's news. I just wonder what the connection is with Fox News . . . it seems to be the only "news" channel that keeps this story alive.

I still want to hear about those that went to to Aruba to watch over these kid . . . where were they? Why were these kids allowed to go to a place like Carlos and Charlie's alone (or even with their care takers)? Why haven't these people been called to task about why one of their charges disappeared? Don't tell me . . . because they were from Alabama, friends of the Holloways and Twittys and could not in any way be to blame. :( Sorry, but they were the ones who should have been responsibile to see these kids didn't drink and didn't go off with strangers.

No, I don't blame Natalee! She was a kid. But Heaven help me . . . I do blame her parents for letting her go there and those sent to watch over her!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more. I am sure that a lot of parents agreed to allow their children to go on this trip because they thought there would be some adult supervision. Apparently there was none whatsover. I remember early on in this case one of the stations interviewed one of the girls she was rooming with at the hotel. The reporter asked her if it had occured to her that something was wrong when Natalie did not sleep in her bed that night. She said no because she herself had spent the night before out all night as well. Apparently no one even knew she was missing until everyone got to the airport for the charter flight back.

I had lunch with a friend yesterday who has a 17 year old daughter. The daughter wants to go with a bunch of friends to the Bahamas for Spring Break. I told her "I hope you're not even considering it!"

Gov Bob Riley announced a state wide boycott of Aruba and asks other governers to join in the boycott of Aruba until justice is served.

So my question to you are you for or against a nation wide boycott of Aruba or not?

No.

a) the governor of alabama is an idiot

b) beth needs to stop paying people off

Sure doesn't surprise me. I knew there was money there and probably some sort of political connection or this story, unlike so many other stories about kids missing (no matter where) . . . would have been yesterday's news. I just wonder what the connection is with Fox News . . . it seems to be the only "news" channel that keeps this story alive.

I still want to hear about those that went to to Aruba to watch over these kid . . . where were they? Why were these kids allowed to go to a place like Carlos and Charlie's alone (or even with their care takers)? Why haven't these people been called to task about why one of their charges disappeared? Don't tell me . . . because they were from Alabama, friends of the Holloways and Twittys and could not in any way be to blame. :( Sorry, but they were the ones who should have been responsibile to see these kids didn't drink and didn't go off with strangers.

No, I don't blame Natalee! She was a kid. But Heaven help me . . . I do blame her parents for letting her go there and those sent to watch over her!!!!!!!!!!!

Fox news is not the only network keeping this story alive. Nancy Grace on CNN is obsessed with the story and has the mother on almost nightly.

Also, you ask why these kids were allowed to go to C@C or why the chaperones did not take care of the kids. Answer is simple, they were not kids, they were 18 and the chaperones had no legal authority to tell them to do anything. The kids could do whatever they want as they were adults.

We will certainly AVOID Aruba!!!!

If someone already has a cruise with a port stop in Aruba, just go and enjoy!

We will NOT go on a land trip or plan a business meeting in Aruba! Fortunately, we don't have a port stop there on an upcoming cruise! We will AVOID future cruises which include port stops in any of the ABC islands.

Not asking others to agree with us -- just what we will do!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

OCruisers,

That's the kind of response that I'd expect from the redneck south. Now, all the ABC islands. Great, stay away, and let the rest of us enjoy them. Aruba is wonderful, and we even like Bonaire better, it a great scuba diving location. We're been there to both islands a total of five times this year. I just love spending money there and not in Alabama, or South Carolina for that matter. Between Beth, Nancy Grace and the rest of the idiots that keep this story alive, it's really hard to pick out the worst of the bunch.

But I guess that being kidnapped for the sex slave trade is as good an explantion as anything else; who knows maybe even Beth had it done because her daughter referred to her as a tyrant. The governor of Alabama is a racist for even calling for a boycott of Aruba. No evidence, no crime scene, no body, no confessions, she's off the island and the people of Aruba were not involved IMHO.

I think rather than calling for a boycott of Aruba, Beth's time would be better spent educating other parents about the dangers of sending their underage children on these binge-drinking trips. Frankly, this could have happened anywhere - there are scores of Americans missing all over the world (not to mention the hundreds that are missing here in the U.S.). It is just bad luck for the Aruban people that it happened on their soil and their authorities have (at least so far) been unable to solve the case. A combination of young, naive kids and lots of alcohol is not a good mix.

We will certainly AVOID Aruba!!!!

If someone already has a cruise with a port stop in Aruba, just go and enjoy!

We will NOT go on a land trip or plan a business meeting in Aruba! Fortunately, we don't have a port stop there on an upcoming cruise! We will AVOID future cruises which include port stops in any of the ABC islands.

Not asking others to agree with us -- just what we will do!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Now you adding Bonaire and Curacao? If you are going to avoid those in addition to Aruba you should add St. Maartin and the Netherlands to be consistant. This just shows how wrong this boycott is.

Right now I have cruises booked next year that call Aruba, Bonaire, St. Maartin and Amstersdam!!! I will enjoy them all and spend money there!!!

I sure hope all of you watched the Dr. Phil show today. It was an incredibly difficult and sad show about the kidnapping of American and other children sold into the business of sex slaves. Some very eye-opening discussion about what happens to these kids and how old they are and what they are worth on the open market. Natalie Holloway's mother and father, as well as Amy Bradley's mother and father, were on the show. Remember Amy Bradley, who disappeared from a RCCL ship in Curacao. It is now coming to light that some folks have actually seen Amy Bradley recently, but could not get close enough to her since she was with two men who were watching her very closely.

If you prefer not to boycott Aruba, I would at least make it very clear to everyone and anyone you know who plans on getting off the ship in any of the islands, that it is not safe for young kids and young adults, especially girls! If I were a mother of a young girl, I would definitely not allow them to get off the ship by themselves unless they were with their parents. Absolutely too much to lose.

I think rather than calling for a boycott of Aruba, Beth's time would be better spent educating other parents about the dangers of sending their underage children on these binge-drinking trips. Frankly, this could have happened anywhere - there are scores of Americans missing all over the world (not to mention the hundreds that are missing here in the U.S.). It is just bad luck for the Aruban people that it happened on their soil and their authorities have (at least so far) been unable to solve the case. A combination of young, naive kids and lots of alcohol is not a good mix.

You have pretty much summed up my opinion.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people are so easily swayed by whatever they see on television. "Those three boys murdered Natalee . . . no wait a minute . . . Dr. Phil says she was probably taken off the island in a helicopter and sold as a sex slave . . . yes, that's it . . . no, she wasn't murdered after all . . . she's a sex slave." And I have no doubt that the people of Aruba will be blamed for that as well . . . :(

It never ceases to amaze me how some people are so easily swayed by whatever they see on television. "Those three boys murdered Natalee . . . no wait a minute . . . Dr. Phil says she was probably taken off the island in a helicopter and sold as a sex slave . . . yes, that's it . . . no, she wasn't murdered after all . . . she's a sex slave." And I have no doubt that the people of Aruba will be blamed for that as well . . . :(

It is a bunch of sensationalist bunk for the gullible. Dr. Phil is after ratings.

If you prefer not to boycott Aruba, I would at least make it very clear to everyone and anyone you know who plans on getting off the ship in any of the islands, that it is not safe for young kids and young adults, especially girls! If I were a mother of a young girl, I would definitely not allow them to get off the ship by themselves unless they were with their parents. Absolutely too much to lose.

Natalee and Amy are not being held as sex slaves. That is bunk.

As far as the islands and young kids, no one would be letting young kids go off on their own anyway on any of the islands. Duh.

Duh????

You said, "As far as the islands and young kids, no one would be letting young kids go off on their own anyway on any of the islands. Duh."

Isn't this how this all started in the first place?? Get real. Parents allow their kids to go to Cancun for Spring Break. Have you been there? Have you seen the age of the kids there?

As for Dr. Phil, I agree that some of the programs are rating targeted, but I don't think you should throw the baby out with the bath water.

I found what someone else on these boards said very thought provoking - if you boycott Aruba for the Natalie case - then do we boycott California for the O.J. and Michael Jackson cases?

We catch Killers (OJ) and Pedophiles (MJ) try them and then........ let them go.

Please, Please, personcott (boycott is sexist) us......:D

Duh????

You said, "As far as the islands and young kids, no one would be letting young kids go off on their own anyway on any of the islands. Duh."

Isn't this how this all started in the first place?? Get real. Parents allow their kids to go to Cancun for Spring Break. Have you been there? Have you seen the age of the kids there?

As for Dr. Phil, I agree that some of the programs are rating targeted, but I don't think you should throw the baby out with the bath water.

My definition of young kids may be different than yours. 18 year olds like Natalee are young adults. They are going to do what they do. Parents can't keep them if the 18 year old does not want to be kept....

18 is old enough to make decisions and then pay the price when those decisions are stupid.

I agree. She should have been raped and murdered because she drank too much or was drugged. It's all her fault. The boys who did it were just being boys and bare no responsability.

I agree. She should have been raped and murdered because she drank too much or was drugged. It's all her fault. The boys who did it were just being boys and bare no responsability.

No. Wait. I changed my mind. It's her mothers fault.

• 2 weeks later...

I "AGREE" boycott any place that someone with hooks gets away with "MURDER".

Lets see now...... That means I cant go to "California"

Anybody remember "O J" and the great LA police work......

Also I can't go to Massachusetts. Think of how Mary Jo Kopekne's family must feel....... Nobody was ever charged there either.......

And I'm sure there are countless other "very good" reasons to boycott.

Some of which are probably in my home state of New York

I "AGREE" boycott any place that someone with hooks gets away with "MURDER".

Lets see now...... That means I cant go to "California"

Anybody remember "O J" and the great LA police work......

Also I can't go to Massachusetts. Think of how Mary Jo Kopekne's family must feel....... Nobody was ever charged there either.......

And I'm sure there are countless other "very good" reasons to boycott.

Some of which are probably in my home state of New York

Let's not forget all the lynchings in Alabama and other southern states where lady justice remained blinded.

Archived