First Time Cruiser - NCL Sky - HELP!

Jenke1972

I'm hoping you guys can help! Looking to book a cruise for 2 couples in mid-June. We've never cruised before, so terms like disembarking are completely foreign to me! We are attracted to the 3-day cruise to the Bahamas with the all inclusive drink package. Looking to celebrate a 40th birthday.

1. We will be flying from Detroit. If the ship leaves on Friday, what time does it leave and do you think we should arrive in Miami Thursday?

2. Is Great Stirrup Cay open? We like to have the option of shade, so should we book a clamshell? How do we do that?

3. I get the sense that dining at the buffets is included at no cost, but you can book an a la carte and pay the cost of the dinner?

4. What time can we "disembark"?

5. I think that cruise stops in Nassau. Anything in particular we should try to do there?

Thanks so much!

I'm hoping you guys can help! Looking to book a cruise for 2 couples in mid-June. We've never cruised before, so terms like disembarking are completely foreign to me! We are attracted to the 3-day cruise to the Bahamas with the all inclusive drink package. Looking to celebrate a 40th birthday.

1. We will be flying from Detroit. If the ship leaves on Friday, what time does it leave and do you think we should arrive in Miami Thursday?

We are doing this cruise on the 30th - we have cruise 4 times in the past 2 years. I would recommend flying in the day before, we almost always do, unless we book through the cruiseline. The ship doesn't sail until 5, you have to be on board an hour before they sail. You never know what storms/issues, etc you may come across that could potentially delay or even worse cancel your flight. The ship won't wait if you aren't on board on time.

2. Is Great Stirrup Cay open? We like to have the option of shade, so should we book a clamshell? How do we do that?

Yes it is currently open. I have heard that it sometimes doesn't always make it in port due to high winds, or rough seas. Can't comment about the shade, but I have read you can book clamshells on board.

3. I get the sense that dining at the buffets is included at no cost, but you can book an a la carte and pay the cost of the dinner?

There is a main dinning room (MDR) also include din your cruise cost. There are two main dinning rooms called Palace and Crossings. You may dine here off a menu that changes each evening at no additional charge. There are other a la carte restaurants available as well hat have a fee that you may booked online through NCL, over the phone, or on board.

I believe it is from 7:30-9:30.

5. I think that cruise stops in Nassau. Anything in particular we should try to do there?

I will let others that have experienced this port help you with this, if you don't get any replies, there is a nassau board on cruise critic as well.

Thanks so much!

My responses are included above

Edited by wendycook22

1. Yes. If possible, it is always a good idea to be there the day before. What if there are flight delays or cancellations?

2. I believe GSC is open again. There are some trees, and some nice shady seating, but if you want to be guaranteed shade, then a clamshell is a good idea.

3. The main dining rooms (there are 2), the buffet, and O'sheehans (or blue lagoon), the 24 hour "pub food" restaurant are all included. You can absolutely have dinner at the specialty restaurants as well. They will swipe your card and it will be on your bill at the end of the cruise. If you plan to eat at specialties every night, might be worth it to buy a specialty dining package, bit if you will only do it once, it would be cheaper just to pay as you go. But you can still have a sit down, 3 course meal in the MDR for every meal if you so wish.

4. Usually they'll start disembarkation (when the cruise is over) around 7:30 AM, and everyone should be there off by 9:30/10 at the latest. In ports, you can get off after the ship is cleared by the port authority, which is usually about 30 min after docking.

5. Nassau has a lot of things to do. If you like water slides, Atlantis is good. If you want to let dolphins, or have a beach day, there are either cruise line excursions for that (I'd recommend the NCL ones if you e never cruised before, but if you are confident, you can do it i your own for cheaper), or you can get off and wander around on your own.

Check the Ports of Call boards, and you can get ideas from there.

Have fun!!!

Hi! See my answers below....

Even though we only live 3 hours from Miami in Sarasota and have traveled to and from Miami in a single day for business, we drive over the night before for cruises. You just never know what is going to happen. We drove the first time, gave ourselves 2-3x the hours needed to get there, I-95 was closed twice, and as a result we needed every minute of the extra time we had given ourselves. DH's nerves were so shot that we when got on board he needed those drinks. NEVER again. Its one thing to go over for a meeting -- if your running late due to traffic you call and let them know, no biggie. Its something completely different when you are traveling to catch a ship that will leave without you.

Yes. We always get 2 clamshells. Its easy--just scope out the one you want, set up your stuff, and a crew member will by to get your name, cabin number, and cruise card. Bring your snorkel gear--or rent it there. There is great snorkeling right from the beach!

Like others have said there are plenty of choices included with the price--including my son's favorite place--a never ending ice cream stand. DH upgrade to 3 specialty meal plan and enjoy the smaller, more intimate restaurants for dinner. If you do just one--please go to Le Bistro. Its our favorite on the ship and one of our favorite restaurant's anywhere. The ambiance is quiet and special; the food is amazing. We are going on the Getaway in March and the pictures of Le Bistro make us little worried that it won't be as special there. Ambiance can make or break a restaurant and the ambiance at Le Bistro on the Sky is pretty amazing -- particularly at sunset.

Our second favorite is Il Adagio and then Cagney's. If there is one we could skip it would be Cagney's.

Others are right, you can leave by 7 - 7:30.

We really just walking around the shops. The Pirate Museum is a great way to learn about history and have fun. John Watling's Rum Distillery is a yummy diversion. Both are in walking distance of the port.

Enjoy and Happy Birthday!