Uber in Cartagena

Pearlieq

Our experience using Uber to get to/from the cruise port to the Walled City for a DIY tour:

We had a very easy time getting an Uber at the cruise port. We walked all the way out though the exit and put in the request for a ride to "El Centro". Our ride was accepted within a minute and the driver was quoted at 5 minutes away.

There's a little roundabout/turnaround at the exit of the port that is used to passenger drop off and pickup. The driver came right in through there, we hopped in and were on our way.

Your driver will likely not speak much English. I had enough Spanish to ask him to drop us at the Plaza de Bolivar. If you don't request anything, you will be dropped at the Clock Tower (Torre de Reloj) which will work just fine for a walking tour of the Walled City.

The area around Plaza de Bolivar is closed to cars, but he got us a block away. The total cost for the ride was $3.30 and it took about 15 minutes.

Going back was not as easy. We requested our ride from the Clock Tower area, but there was no defined place to meet our driver and the area around the Clock Tower has one-way/bus access streets. The driver tried to call us, but she didn't speak English and it was beyond my Spanish abilities. We finally found each other, but then she had to fight through heavy city center traffic to turn back around toward the port. Her GPS tried to drop us in a neighborhood a few blocks from the pier. Luckily my husband was able to show her his map and convince her to take us all the way back.

For our Sunday afternoon return they were on 1.7x surge pricing, but the ride was still $3.64. It took about 20 minutes to connect with her and another 20 minutes to get back to the port.

If I had it to do again, I would just have grabbed a cab back to the port. The extra $7 would have been more than worth avoiding the hassle of trying to find our ride. I wouldn't hesitate to use Uber on the way out, though. It was easy and cheap!

• 4 weeks later...