Food Glutton

Phikappasaxa

Okay, I will admit...

I am a food glutton.

There, I have said it...now let me ask my question!

Ever since I found out back in 2000 (second cruise on the Carnival Ecstasy) that you could order many entrees from the main dining room, I've been meticulously planning my dining excursions on following cruises, especially with Carnival. I will now be sailing on Disney Dream and Royal Caribbean Oasis this year and was wondering if they also have the try as many entrees as you would like. Is there a limit on how many you can order? Not like the portions are really filling...:confused:

Unless it's a "specialty" restaurant, you may order what you want to...no limits! In the specialty restaurants, your "fee" gives you one entree and you can have multiple sides, apps, etc..... I believe you can pay additionally for each extra entree in the specialties.

Phikappasaxa: there's another thread on the foodies section here regarding the same isue. It has quite a lot of good input.

After all, it's:

Your choice.

Your health.

Your body.

Your conscience.

Nobody else's. Pay no attention to the troll except to pity it--it needs a life.

Enjoy.

Edited by capncarp

Eat, drink, and be merry!!

I will freely admit that I'm right there with you about planning out my eating while on a cruise! So much good stuff and so many things I don't usually see at home! I also freely admit that I eat too much sometimes!:rolleyes:

But, IT'S A CRUISE! It's your VACATION! You're only on the ship for what, 7 days max in most instances? Have a good time!

I'm 43, a bit over the mark weightwise according to my doc, but my blood sugar is spot on, cholesterol is fine, and my blood pressure is well below average. As long as your whole life doesn't revolve around sitting and eating, don't worry about it! Enjoy yourself and have a great time!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

We have cruised on Royal Caribbean several times and you can order whatever you want. One night my husband was torn between the filet and the baked stuffed shrimp, and our waiter suggested getting both and making it surf and turf. There was a chicken dish the first night of our cruise that I particularly enjoyed; later in the cruise we were discussing at our table how much we enjoyed that chicken and our waiter immediately offered to see if the chef could make it for us - which he did. It was wonderful.

We eat very healthy at home but to me this is my one week of vacation a year, and I am not going to worry about calories. The food on a cruise is to me part of the enjoyment. We do try to work it off in the fitness center and by doing a lot of walking in the ports, but why deprive yourself on vacation!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I you order more than one main, (or order anything), eat it up UNLESS it is really bad, awfuly cooked/prepared and unsafe to eat. Don't order, sample a bit, and discard the rest.

As for being overweight, it is bad for your joints among other things. You're free to ignore warnings for health professionals but beware the day you don't have health insurance coverage.

I you order more than one main, (or order anything), eat it up UNLESS it is really bad, awfuly cooked/prepared and unsafe to eat. Don't order, sample a bit, and discard the rest.

.[/quote

I am in agreement with you on this. While my husband and I were on a RC cruise a few years ago we had a couple at our table that I seriously think were ordering multiple things just for the sake of ordering them. They would take a bite or two, push it to the side, and then order something else - appetizers, entrees, desserts........I felt bad for our waiter who kept bringing thing after thing to the table, and it was kind of embarrassing to be with them even though we didn't know them before the cruise. Apparently they were even worse at the midnight chocolate buffet.

If my husband and I want to sample different things we order different meals and share bites of each other's dinners, or we order a half portion of two different entrees if we are torn between two choices. I've never been on a ship that wouldn't do a half portion if you ask. Sometimes I just do one half portion entree so I can enjoy my appetizer and still have a tiny bit of room for dessert.

I am all for ordering as much as you are going to eat; to me the dining room dinner is a fun experience and like trying different things. But to just order multiple things intending to waste most of it is IMO kind of classless - and wasteful.

I have tried to order halves of things. And no, I don't mean two half dinners and three half desserts. I truly mean just a half dessert. I can't eat all that! But they still bring the entire thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As I mentioned in a similar thread, if you are in a group of several people, go "halfsies" or "Chinese restaurant family style" on an entree or appetizer or dessert that interests you, pulling your share onto a separate plate for your consumption. Usually some member of the group will take a shine to, or at least find little fault with, one option or more. Much less waste, more shared new experiences, more fun all around. Apologies if this uncouth colonial shattering of tablemanners offends anyone, but I think the ship will not stop in midsailing just because someone ate their soup with the wrong fork. ;)

Okay, I will admit...

I am a food glutton.

Ever since I found out back in 2000 (second cruise on the Carnival Ecstasy) that you could order many entrees from the main dining room, I've been meticulously planning my dining excursions on following cruises, especially with Carnival. I will now be sailing on Disney Dream and Royal Caribbean Oasis this year and was wondering if they also have the try as many entrees as you would like. Is there a limit on how many you can order? Not like the portions are really filling...:confused:

The DH is so looking forward to all the food options, he even mentioned that he is more interested in the food than the AIBP. He is one of those guys that even in his late 50s has never had to worry about a pound. I say enjoy!!!:D

• 7 months later...
Okay, I will admit...

I am a food glutton.

Yes! Not only that, but you can order something you liked in a previous restaurant even if they don’t offer it in the current restaurant. I order escargot from the Royal Palace every night no matter what restaurant I’m in. In fact I warn the poor waiter that I’ll be asking for them nightly so he can plan ahead. (You have the same waiter every night).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums