Decisions based on reviews ?

annebill

Just wondering how many CC'ers actually make decisions re specific ships or cruise lines based on the reviews and opinions posted here. Personally, I hardly ever read the long reviews as they are so subjective, and every opinion seems to get balanced by a diametrically opposite opinion. Not very helpful to the novice cruiser.

Decisions are made with MANY variable in mind -- what I read on line is only one of them, but, yes, it is a factor. I do keep in mind that everything I read needs to be considered just for what it is as everyone has their own opinions, likes and dislikes, priorities and perceptions -- but.....if I read between the lines and factor in other information as well as what is important to me (such as a reviewer that raves about ship for a lot of factors that are unimportant to me or things that were liked by the reviewer but would be disliked by me -- or alternately a reviewer who is happy about their cruise experience for the same types of reasons that would make me happy), a pattern appears that is really not far off the mark --

this board does provide a valuable service as long as what it says is considered carefully -- as the previous poster suggested that reading reviews here might steer someone away from the Zuiderdam -- and, if I can afford to do so, I always like to see for myself --

I have never based my cruising decisions on reviews. I do find them very helpful, as they give me a point of reference. I can see what not to miss, and what to look out for and maybe avoid. Plus, they give me an advance taste to make waiting for the sail date a little more bearable.

Well, there are complaints....and then there are COMPLAINTS. Some I pay little attention to....My salad was wilted....the beef was tough....the band played lousy music, etc. However, there are a couple of things that could possibly steer me away from a particular ship....repeated complaints of plumbing problems from a number of different posters or a bad siege of a virus or sickness aboard the ship that wouldn't go away. I wouldn't avoid the entire line, but if an individual ship seemed to be plagued with ongoing problems of that nature, I would probably choose another ship.

I would never sail on Zuiderdam (which I liked) if I believed all reviews... ;)
Ha-ha! Right now, we're sailing ONLY on the Zuiderdam! She is by far our favorite ship, having a professional yet friendly staff, efficient crew, and something for everyone. The ship itself is in pretty good shape (considering she's had over a quarter-million passengers dragging sand and salt around her decks), and will be even better after drydock in December.

I will consider a reviewer's comments only if I can identify with him.

Candy <-- at this time tomorrow will be scarfing up bread pudding on Zuidy #6

I do consider reviews to help make my decision, especially when choosing a cruiseline and specific itinerary.

Reviews led us to HAL, and now we are going to try Celeb next October. From the tone of the reviews, including what people did like, I don't think that Carnival or NCL would be a good fit. BTW, even though we are younger than the typical HAL demographic the idea of a traditional laid back cruise without pool games or chairhoggers is what sold us!!! The Celeb cruise is so port intensive that the only chair I'll worry about is the one at the dinner table!!!

I enjoy reading all the reviews as it gets me excited, but i do metally tell myself that everyone has a difference of opinions and to enjoy reading them, but take them with a grain of salt as even two reviews of the same cruise, same ship, same time will/can be totally different.

I appericate people taking them time to write and i do learn a lot from them (if only a few tips or hints!)

I'm a cruising newbie who only just discovered and has been lurking on these boards since my last trip in order to ease my post-cruise blues/ship withdrawal. I greatly enjoy reading the long reviews, and like their thoroughness and the frankness with which members speak of their experiences (even when I don't necessarily agree with their opinion).

Let me tell you, I wish I had been on this board and read some reviews before my trips, because I have found a wealth of information that I think would have improved my enjoyment of the trip. And I already felt I had one of the best trips of my life! However, there are just little tips and certain things about the ship that I didn't know about and was not able to take advantage of, simply because I didn't know before embarkation.

Will I buy one opinion wholesale in selecting a ship or cruise line? No, but I will definitely take some of the info I learned here and consider it when planning my next trip. I honestly enjoy hearing the opinions of regular consumers like me, as opposed to a professional travel writer or vague corporate shill. So, my thanks to the folks at CC who take all the time and trouble to write such reviews. I truly appreciate your having shared your experience!

Some reviews help, others don't, I was very disappointed, with the verbal praise that I received from past cruisers of the Norway, and of the Mercury by Douglas Ward in Berlitz, [i am now taking many of his reviews with a grain of salt]. Much of a persons enjoyment of a cruise, or lack of it, in my opinion depends on whatever transpires, in the first twenty four hours of the cruise, and the attitude of the cruiser as he, or she boards the ship. 'Pack a Smile', is a phrase that I have not seen so much of late, but I believe it to be one of a persons most important assets of any cruise. However this was taken from me by NCL of the Norway, and even more so by Celebrity, earlier this year. Maybe 'Lady Luck' is another factor, fair weather, calm seas, and good cruisers, will make any cruise a memorable one! john

If you read 50 opinions you will have 50 different views. There is no perfect cruise or cruiseline.

I think basing a decision on one or two reviews or opinions is a serious mistake.

jc:)

I agree - but if an overwhelming number of reviews for a particular ship or line are negative it does impact the decison process. Certainly for tips such as the "flavor" of one line as opposed to another the information posted is invaluable.

It always amazes me that people will spend thousands of dollars on a vacation without doing any research. I remember on our Volendam 10 day Southern Carib cruise a few years ago there was a single lady who was very disappointed that there not any single men. Even the most casual research would have told her that a ten day HAL cruise would offer her little chance to "meet" someone as it is primarily a couples vacation.

I give more credence to reviews of frequent cruisers as well as to those whose posts in general I can relate to.

If someone is impressed by, for example, being able to wear jeans to dinner and get away with it, I would immediately cross that ship off my list!

If someone has a gripe with the line for missing a port due to weather, etc., and trashes the entire experience because of that, I would ignore the rest of the review.

A thoughtful, balanced, well written review that contains both positive and negatives in one that I will place some faith in.

I suppose one could say I have made a "decision" based on reviews, since I've decided not to sail the Vista-class ships because of what I've read. The ships are too big for my taste.

I've gotten factual information from reviews that has been very helpful in deciding what's right or wrong for me. That kind of info is objective.

For more subjective info I'll take into account the poster---what history and credibility does that poster have. The "why" of what they like or don't like is also very helpful in deciding.

Would one or two reviews I read here be the deciding factor? I seriously doubt it. But the reviews in toto are certainly a piece of the action.

For example, the coffee warning about Princess and HAL made me bring my own and I was glad I was forwarned as I drink a lot of coffee. As far as other issues I doubt if I would change ships or not book a cruise for 1-2 neg reviews but if there were a few dozen, I am sure that I could find an alternate within the same price range and similar itinerary. Warning that 7 day cruisers are more partying than 10+ lets people who want to avoid frat house parties make a decision. I love some of the comments, pos or neg but I hate the cheerleaders who attack anyone who criticizes a ship for any reason.

Plus this daily visit can kill and hour a day of my retirement.:)

Looking forward to your review when you get back. We sail Dec. 3. on the Zuiderdam. A few ???'s

1. Do they offer a wine tasting event?

2. Any martini tasting or martini making classes?

3. How much are they currently charging for the thermal suite passes? Day rate? Thanks.

4. Do you have a favorite bar/bartender?

Marie

I use the reviews to get a basic "feel" for the ship and the line, and for that they are very helpful. For example, if I see a series of reviews for the same ship that talk about the ship being overly formal, I would hesitate to sail that line since I don't particularly care for formal while on vacation. If I see a series of reviews that talk about problems with the ship (plumbing, etc.), I might hesitate to sail her unless I knew she was going into drydock before the time I would be sailing.

However, I can't honestly say that I would not sail a line just because people had to wait in lines for tenders, or perhaps didn't care for the bread pudding, or a host of other relatively minor things. Those items are very subjective anyway. Your idea of a long wait might seem like nothing to me. I might love the bread pudding.

I love the reviews that are very, very detailed because that gives me a better idea of shipboard life and the rhythm of the ship.

I only wish there were more reviews of the Amsterdam ... more current ones. So, all you sailing her before January, would you mind "scratching my itch?" :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I really like the Zuiderdam - it's the only Vista-class ship I've been on. To me, it doesn't feel too large, in fact apart from the photo gallery being too dam ;) close to the dining room, I thought the architecture and layout are excellent. It's a big ship but it doesn't have a "big ship" feel.

I have *never* been on a perfect holiday, and can very easily find things to complain about. The Zuiderdam isn't perfect - the corridors aren't as even as they should be (neither was the floor in our stateroom), the smell on the starboard side near the Queen's lounge is rather fragrant, and the queue for a tender can be longer than I'd wish.... on the other hand, if I listed all of the things that were superb, I'd be here for a week!

I do read other people's reviews and I do a *lot* of research - and I give more weight to the well-thought-out positive reviews than the oh-bloody-hell negative reviews. It works for me!

James

p.s. as far as "the best bartenders" go - try chatting with the bartenders when they aren't busy, and not only will you get great service next time you are at that bar, you'll also find out many fascinating things about life in another part of the world.

I take it with a grain of salt. First, each person has their own likes and dislikes so a review is more or less a subjective matter. What turns one on can actually be a turn off for another and vice versa.

I do read these threads and some of the other info out there on the web and can pick a general overall consensus on some matters but thats more rare than you think.

Generally I believe people believe what they want to believe.

I love all the reviews. I pick out what important to me about each one. Lots of good tips. I haven't NOT sailed on a ship because of a review (sorry about the double negative for all the english teachers out there), but I read so many good things about the maasdam it did weigh in my decision to sail on her. I also notice patterns and believe where there's smoke there's fire.

I have never based my cruising decisions on reviews. I do find them very helpful, as they give me a point of reference. I can see what not to miss, and what to look out for and maybe avoid. Plus, they give me an advance taste to make waiting for the sail date a little more bearable.

Jim has summed up exactly how I feel. I enjoy reading the reviews but I wouldn't base my cruise on a review alone. We always go for the itinerary and size of the ship first and foremost. If I have read bad reviews about a ship I will often find equally good ones about the same ship.

When I first booked on the old Noordam to do a cruise from Copenhagen to Rome a few years ago I nearly cancelled the cruise due to all the bad reviews I started to read on this Board. I did begin to believe we had booked the wrong ship. I am so glad we didn't cancel that cruise as we found the Noordam to be a wonderful old lady with a great crew and in immaculate condition. It was one of our best cruises.

It just proves that everyone looks at things differently and one has to be subjective in reading a review.

Jennie

Guest Celestia

I don't choose my cruises...they are chosen for me and I am an invited guest.

That said, I learn a lot from reviews, some of which *does* affect the cruise decisions the person I cruise with makes....some examples:

....shore excursions, because I *am* asked to either provide input or choose these, and the reviews are very helpful here.

....ship, or class of ships offered by a cruise line. We don't care for the higher passenger-count ships.

....Trubey's website of 'group cruise data' is excellent...we're usually booked over a year in advance, but at least we'll know what to expect, which hasn't always been the case....it's somehow easier knowing what we're getting into.

....reviews of various entertainment areas of the ship, and of the evening shows.

So I'd like to thank all the reviewers for their time and effort writing!

FW&FS,

Celestia

I read the reviews. If they are TERRIBLE, I will keep reading until I find something positive if it is a ship in which I am interested.

For instance, there is a terrible review of one of the MSC ships on another website. I had also read another not so great review of their ships. Yet just a couple of days ago I read a pretty good review. I am reserving judgment (and my money) until I see a spate of good reviews.

One of the ideas I got from reading reviews was booking an aft stateroom. I had never even considered doing this because I thought it would be too rocky. We did so last December and liked it so much we booked another for this December and another for February. We also learned that an aft stateroom on a Hawaii cruise is not a good idea if it gets rough, so we booked midships for that.

However, it all boils down to your own experience and whether or not the cruiseline can satisfy those desires that are important to you.

Roberta

Archived