Inside or out

rvmike

Looking at some cruises and the price difference between inside or out seems a lot. Are the outside rooms really worth the extra cost? We usually turn in around 9:30 but the mornings seems like it would be nice to have a balcony or at least a view

There is no one answer to that question. First and foremost you need to decide if the money is in the bank account for an outside room. All other issues are secondary. If it is there then think about the stretch of river that you are traveling on or which river. The lower Mississippi is not as scenic as the other rivers which the AMERICAN QUEEN or AMERICAN EMPRESS travels on. The lower Mississippi is wide, muddy, and much of the view is of levees and the batture between the levees and the river's edge. Yes, there is the occasional town, plantation great house, or factory, but not much else other than trees. If money is of a paramount concern get an inside room, if not go for an outside room. On the other rivers the scenery can be quite dramatic, and I would splurge if you can.

I personally like the outside D category rooms on the AQ with their large bay windows. Even with the curtains wide open there is a great amount of privacy offered. But be careful with the curtains open in certain areas otherwise you might be talked about for days by a lock master or bridge tender! The riverview D rooms on the AE are convenient and close to the water, but the windows could have a deckhand or other crew member walk by.

Calliope, Thanks for the info. We normally get a balcony on the bigger ships but usually use them just for breakfast. The river boats look like they have a lot of outside areas and with the boat not being that big it would be easy to just leave the cabin. Money is not an issue but don't like to throw it away either. Which river is the most scenic for a first river cruise.

Mike

The upper Mississippi between St. Louis and St. Paul is beautiful. The Ohio River between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, but that's not offered this year, is spectacular. The Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers are a favorite of mine too. They all have lovely little towns and cities with hills in the background. Also each of those rivers have locks to go through which is an interesting process

The new AMERICAN DUCHESS is scheduled to go up the Illinois River this summer which the AQ is too big to travel, but the Illinois River isn't a favorite. The Columbia and Snake River itineraries that the AMERICAN EMPRESS offers are very interesting with a broad range of climates and topography that the boat travels through.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I am a bit late chiming in here, but do be aware the the inside rooms are TINY - barely room enough to walk around the bed(s). The outside cabins are not large by cruise ship standards, but give you a lot more space than the inside rooms.

• 4 weeks later...
I know I am a bit late chiming in here, but do be aware the the inside rooms are TINY - barely room enough to walk around the bed(s). The outside cabins are not large by cruise ship standards, but give you a lot more space than the inside rooms.

I believe the American queen has two sizes.

Having been on two AQ cruises and having already booked the Columbia River for next year, the outside cabins are worth the extra cost in my opinion. So nice to sit outside your room and enjoy the scenery.