We Booked Explorer Cruise Today

No - there is no rebate offered - just like there is no rebate/credit if you decide not to use included excursions.

IMO, anyone that does not take advantage of the pre or post-cruise safari is wasting their time by booking this cruise. We have done Cape Town to Cape Town twice (and then on to Rio which we would not do again). I was not anxious to do a safari but was blown away by what an amazing experience it was.

The only thing that was equal to or possibly better than the safari, was the Regent Choice excursion from Port Elizabeth where you ride African elephants (not the included one - this is pricey but worth every penny). At one time, it was thought that no one could think of riding bareback on an African elephant - only an a Asian elephant (half the size and is what you typically see is Asia - drawing pictures and other things that Asian elephants are easily trained for. This was a once in a lifetime experience for us.

And if I am not mistaken, I think some of the post safari trips are now $2899/person online when last week they were minimal, if any at all, cost. Again it will be fabulous but wow has this been a mismanagement of expectations!!!!

Just thinking out loud, if one doesn't take the 'included' pre or post tour, is there a rebate offered? I don't think anyone could do their own additional trips anywhere near the cost for Regent so just curious if it is a possibility...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Contrary to your comment about doing the safari for less on your own. Does take a bit of work but, a couple of years ago we did 3 nites and clowe to 3 full days with 6 drives at Shamwari Bayethe including air and transfers for about $2500 for the two of us. Even inflating that 10% per year which is extremely high especially with the strong US dollar would only come to about $3000 per couple vs. the regent $4800 full price.

Of course the no extra cost or $800 pp are a bargain but, paying the full price for I think only a minimum of 2 and maximum of 4 game drives depending on arrival and departure time. Most times private excursions are significantly less in cost than most, if not all cruise line prices.

Takes a bit of work but, with the internet and almost free international phone calls using Skype and the like, a few hours work can and will save thousands of dollars when there is no special promotion. The cruiseline knows the true cost of what they are providing and they don't lose money even when the excursion is for no additional cost.

Not surprised that there is no rebate possibility but thought I would ask and honestly we would not want to opt out unless doing something better ourselves.

On the other hand when considering flights to Kruger or Port Elizabeth, 2 nights safari, another night in Johannesburg or Capetown, the original cost ($799 or $1199 depending on the destination) is pretty darned good, but don't quote me on that as Regent really misrepresented this whole pre and post experience and I am expecting my TA to challenge that.

Still looking forward to a fabulous experience all around. Safaris in South Africa are number one on our travel experience list and we are delighted to have the opportunity to do that again in 2018. How lucky are we do the 'once in a lifetime' type of thing twice! Let alone the Explorer, hopefully Emirates, etc.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Contrary to your comment about doing the safari for less on your own. Does take a bit of work but, a couple of years ago we did 3 nites and clowe to 3 full days with 6 drives at Shamwari Bayethe including air and transfers for about $2500 for the two of us. Even inflating that 10% per year which is extremely high especially with the strong US dollar would only come to about $3000 per couple vs. the regent $4800 full price.

Of course the no extra cost or $800 pp are a bargain but, paying the full price for I think only a minimum of 2 and maximum of 4 game drives depending on arrival and departure time. Most times private excursions are significantly less in cost than most, if not all cruise line prices.

Takes a bit of work but, with the internet and almost free international phone calls using Skype and the like, a few hours work can and will save thousands of dollars when there is no special promotion. The cruiseline knows the true cost of what they are providing and they don't lose money even when the excursion is for no additional cost.

We did the pre-cruise safari at Eagles Cragg (same "rating" as Bayethe through Regent last year at no cost. (but it would have certainly been worth paying for) The safari lodges had only Regent passengers (which, IMO, was a huge plus since we would later be sailing with them). The food and beverages were included as was all of the transportation. I truly cannot imagine doing such a short safari (three game drives) on our own to save a few dollars.

In terms of "Most times private excursions are significantly less in cost than most, if not all cruise line prices", this has not always been our experience. However, having said that, we prefer private or small group excursions - even if the cost may be higher.

IMO, Regent pre and post cruise itineraries are excellent (unlike "included" excursions). I am not aware of any other luxury cruise line that compete in this area.

IMO, Regent pre and post cruise itineraries are excellent (unlike "included" excursions). I am not aware of any other luxury cruise line that compete in this area.

Generally agree that Regent's pre-cruise, post cruise and 'adventures ashore' are excellent and very good value. Good examples we have experienced were a South African safari and a side trip to Bagan in Burma :)

We also enjoy many of Regent's included excursions

However sometimes Regent do present a 'turkey'. We found our post cruise 3-day 'Sydney & Beyond' that we took last month to be a less than luxury experience :(; a disappointment after an excellent cruise. We have offered Regent constructive feedback

Generally agree that Regent's pre-cruise, post cruise and 'adventures ashore' are excellent and very good value. Good examples we have experienced were a South African safari and a side trip to Bagan in Burma :)

We also enjoy many of Regent's included excursions

However sometimes Regent do present a 'turkey'. We found our post cruise 3-day 'Sydney & Beyond' that we took last month to be a less than luxury experience :(; a disappointment after an excellent cruise. We have offered Regent constructive feedback

We did the 3-day post cruise in Sydney 3 years ago and enjoyed it (maybe because we did a lot of wine tasting and it was included). Also included was a stay at the Four Seasons -- we upgraded the hotel room for a minimum charge and in addition to breakfast received a lovely cocktail hour in the evening where we could serve ourselves and they also offered small snacks. At the price of meals in Sydney, having cocktails before out to dinner was a big savings.

golfgirls, You will love this cruise and safari. We did CPT/CPT on Oceania having been upgraded to an owners suite and it was one of our best trips ever.

We stayed at Kapama Lodge in Kruger and had 6 drives plus a visit to a Cheetah Sanctuary and a one on one with an elephant. The cost for 2 including air was $3700 worth every penny.

I would recommend you watch the Safari Live program currently airing on NatGeoWild. It is exactly what you will experience. We couldn't believe the reality even though it is live.

Reference all previous postings as to either pre, or post-cruise South Africa Safari experiences whether arranged on your own, or relying on Regent--

Our one very-positive experience was a three-day pre-cruise Safari to Addo Elephant National Park, outside Port Elizabeth, South Africa (SA) in early December, 2015. This was in conjunction to later boarding Mariner at Cape Town for the cruise to Rio. Will not comment on that actual cruise--which was significantly altered due to several passengers experiencing severe medical situations. Bottom line: arrived at Rio at bit early, having traveled "at all possible speed" as described by our Captain, to allow getting those passengers to a Rio hospital. Such is the cruising reality.

Sue and I had a magical experience while at a Lodge perched at significant altitude above that National Park. This did require a 1-hour flight from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth; then, a rather "interesting" 1.5 hour drive in a bus from that airport to the Lodge. Suffice to say--that driver drove at a high rate of speed. All survived.

Every aspect of our Lodge stay was top-notch. This facility was owned by a British family with several-generations' ties to SA when it was a Colony. Point: we had the opportunity to spend significant time exploring that Park from a Land Rover under the careful guidance of our Park Ranger/Guide/Protector. This guy spoke three Native dialects; and clear and concise English. We experienced a once in a lifetime opportunity to see a Bull Elephant walk, right at our Rover, within three feet, while Sue captured all on her camera. He walked right by.

Our cook--who at one point put on a 5+star lunch "in the field" complete with four alternative white and red wines--was a lady residing at Port Elizabeth. Our last dinner was one lit by candlelight which featured a variety of top-quality wines. Our accommodation was, literally, a tent. But, what a tent! Oriental rugs on a hard floor; indoor, complete plumbing, very-hot running water; and 24/7 lighting. This may seem obvious, but it should be noted. Overview of the valley below at sunrise and sunset. Again--could not be repeated anywhere else when one is awakened in the early morning by monkey calls and native birds.

What did we pay for this? Nothing extra. All was included. We did not sign for anything. Of course, we generously gave the cook, and her attendants; and our Guide, a "bonus".

Could we have gotten a better deal on our own? Don't know, and am not willing to take the time to explore same. Anyone considering an alternative must take into account additional hotel times at Cape Town (we arrived three days early, and stayed in a hotel in the heart of that city before transfer to Regent's hotel the day before getting the plane to Port Elizabeth); the location of the Safari site which might require a R/T flight from Cape Town; and attendant charges.

Good luck. Sue and I believed we received excellent value from this experience. Such was conveyed to Regent management once we boarded for the cruise to Rio. Hope the above assists others when contemplating doing a Safari on their own.

GoARMY!

GoARMY! , I knew (but have forgotten) that you were on the Mariner with us. We did Cape Town to Cape Town followed by the crossing to Rio with the need for an express trip to Rio (we have done that crossing before and believe that passengers should be warned that they are at least 2 days away from any type of medical facility).

We went to the Addo Elephant National Park as an excursion through Regent. We loved it -- waited a long time to ride an African elephant bareback:)

The points that you made are excellent and I am fairly certain that you could not have done a "luxury" safari for less money (or for that matter, any safari). I highly recommend Regent's pre or post cruise safari!

Agree with previous posters that the 3 day Safaris arranged by Regent in December 2015 were excellent :)

Because most (if not all?) safaris were included in the cruise price, Regent were dealing with a large number of guests. However this large group was split up into small manageable parties at each of the first-rate lodges; these were then split down further for the game drives.

This organisation ensured that everyone received a truly luxurious and personal experience

It would have been impossible for us to get a better deal on our own as the cost of the safari (all inclusive together with plane & bus transfers) was included in the cruise price with no rebate available.

I realise that this is not the case for guests now booking for 2018 :(

When we did a post cruise safari in 2014 we had to pay for it. We considered it excellent value regardless. Our TA was able to get us a safari at the $799 pp price and i consider that a deal. However if we hadn't got that promo we would have either canceled the cruise or booked our own if we could have done it for a reasonable amount. We wanted this cruise because of the start in Lisbon and the opportunity to go on another safari. Without the safari we would look at other cruises to spend more time in Lisbon.