St Marten - Best Beach Bar

I don't think anyone would appreciate me taking off my clothes on a public beach.....

In truth, nobody that is there will care. The people who go there to spend time and not just to walk and galk, won't notice.

Due to scheduling issues with many things, we did two Western Caribbean cruises.... St Maarten and St Thomas, we were unable to schedule a Eastern.

Besides, I have CRS......

Oh gotcha. I have been to St Maarten several times but have never actually made it to Maho. I've read about it enough to feel like I've been there though, and don't really have much desire to see it in person. My next cruise stops there (again) so I might finally check it out only because I've done everything else, but from what I've researched so far, it is technically a "must see," in fact it probably tops the list for that island.

It's fairly crowded, doesn't have much sand to spread out on, and there are lots of big rocks. If you get there early enough in the day (on certain days) then you can see the really big planes coming in from Europe, although I believe the biggest plane just stopped flying there recently. It's something to do if you're looking for an attraction, but if you're a beach person there are lots of better places to go in St Maarten before you spend your day going to Maho.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Yep, we are members of the club, the CRS club...

I know ASK BOB answered a question for me on this site, but for the life of me I can't find.... I just don't want to ask again and be told I already asked that....

See what CRS does.... at least i remembered I asked...

Oh gotcha. I have been to St Maarten several times but have never actually made it to Maho. I've read about it enough to feel like I've been there though, and don't really have much desire to see it in person. My next cruise stops there (again) so I might finally check it out only because I've done everything else, but from what I've researched so far, it is technically a "must see," in fact it probably tops the list for that island.

It's fairly crowded, doesn't have much sand to spread out on, and there are lots of big rocks. If you get there early enough in the day (on certain days) then you can see the really big planes coming in from Europe, although I believe the biggest plane just stopped flying there recently. It's something to do if you're looking for an attraction, but if you're a beach person there are lots of better places to go in St Maarten before you spend your day going to Maho.

Yes, KLM, the last airline to fly 747 to St Maarten, stopped that service just before the end of the year. No more 747's.....

I know there are nicer beaches on the other side of the Island. That is where SO has gone her 3 times on the Island. She just doesn't have the time to read cruise critic and thank goodness she is not a member here. LOL

In truth, nobody that is there will care. The people who go there to spend time and not just to walk and galk, won't notice.

Agreed. I've been to Orient beach and once you see your first couple naked people you kind of forget that they aren't wearing clothes. It's rare to see someone who you would actually want to see naked be naked; even my daughter stopped really noticing all the saggy breasts, although she does remember them [emoji12]

Is Maho beach a must see/do? Beach area looks crowded and I hear the beach is not a nice as others.

My brother who cruises often, recommends going to the French side for a beach. We will be there next Thursday, trying to figure out what to do??

In answer to your question, Maho is not a great beach. It's the novelty of the planes and nearby bar that attracts most.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

In answer to your question, Maho is not a great beach. It's the novelty of the planes and nearby bar that attracts most.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Agreed. Watch a few of the hundreds of YouTube videos of planes landing and the fence surfers at take off, then go find a decent beach elsewhere. If you keep away from the south end of Orient Bay Beach and the naturalist resort located at that end, you shouldn't be too scandalized. :eek:

Agreed. Watch a few of the hundreds of YouTube videos of planes landing and the fence surfers at take off, then go find a decent beach elsewhere. If you keep away from the south end of Orient Bay Beach and the naturalist resort located at that end, you shouldn't be too scandalized. :eek:

I am pretty sure we will skip Maho. Watching the youtube videos are enough for me... and I can't see myself holding on the fence to get blasted by jet engines.... I had enough of that by jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.

Here is a link to a Maho Beach Cam. We visited Maho Beach on our last cruise in September. The beach was very small but watching the planes land was worth the trip. We were lucky enough to see the KLM 747 flight land.

http://www.mahobeachcam.com/

Edited by SICruiseGirlNYC

I am pretty sure we will skip Maho. Watching the youtube videos are enough for me... and I can't see myself holding on the fence to get blasted by jet engines.... I had enough of that by jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.

For what it's worth, while the planes are just a novelty that wears off after the first few, the bar itself is really nice. We were there this past May and while it was my first time there they were really expanding/updating. They were even adding a small pool to the area so it may be worth it if you're truly looking for a nice bar to go to. Beach wise, no it's really not much of a beach at all anymore.

I agree, this is the only place to go. (I never saw a topless lady at the bar and I wanted my wife, but she refused) I had to pay for her drink.

you might be lucky. The time we were there we saw 2 topless ladies, each one about the size of a beached whale, just sitting at the bar, resting their boobs on the bar

Since the OP did say best beach "bar", I totally agree that the Sunset beach bar at Maho is a blast!!!!!!!!!!!:D We enjoyed many a bucket of beer there!;) The added thrill of watching the huge planes fly over at such a low altitude just adds to the festivities! The day our group was there, it was extremely hot, so, once we finished the beers in the ice bucket, my hubby instructed the waitress to pour the ice water on him!!!:eek: He had her do this a total of 6X, which she said that he set the record for the most ice buckets endured by their customers!!:cool: Woot! Woot! We plan to go again in March!!!!!

Edited by SilkySal
add

Since the OP did say best beach "bar", I totally agree that the Sunset beach bar at Maho is a blast!!!!!!!!!!!:D We enjoyed many a bucket of beer there!;) The added thrill of watching the huge planes fly over at such a low altitude just adds to the festivities! The day our group was there, it was extremely hot, so, once we finished the beers in the ice bucket, my hubby instructed the waitress to pour the ice water on him!!!:eek: He had her do this a total of 6X, which she said that he set the record for the most ice buckets endured by their customers!!:cool: Woot! Woot! We plan to go again in March!!!!!

He drank six buckets of beer? No wonder he has CRS......

So, like TV News channels, some say yes, some say no, to Maho Beach.....

I'm glad I went there and experienced the 747 landing before they retired that plane from their fleet.

klm747still.jpg

No silly!:p We had a "group" of friends sharing those buckets!:cool: I will admit that we had quite a few ourselves though!:o

I would for sure go if a 747 was scheduled to land. Nice photo.

I'm not sure which is larger, the A340 or the new A350. I've seen a 777 land there, but not as exciting at the 747. I don't know if that run way can handle an A380 or not.

This was my view of an A340 going over my head.

a340small.jpg

Edited by BillOh

I'm not sure which is larger, the A340 or the new A350. I've seen a 777 land there, but not as exciting at the 747. I don't know if that run way can handle an A380 or not.

We had breakfast last Sunday with a Pilot who often flies his clients into into St Maarten. He said they like to heavy brake, and crank the engines up and hold a little extra before they begin their takeoff, just to clean the people off the fence.

LOL

We had breakfast last Sunday with a Pilot who often flies his clients into into St Maarten. He said they like to heavy brake, and crank the engines up and hold a little extra before they begin their takeoff, just to clean the people off the fence.

LOL

That probably is true for especially the smaller planes, but for the 747, they needed every MPH to get over the mountains at the other end of the airport, they typically climb quick and bank significantly to the right.

We went to Galion Beach, which is next to Orient Beach. The nice thing is it has a reef off shore so the waves are not as dramatic. There was a bar/restaurant, loungers, umbrellas, etc. Still topless. :cool:

The day we were there, the ocean was horribly rough. The ship was rockin' and rollin' Orient Beach was getting hammered by large waves. But, Galion was pretty calm.

It wasn't crowded. Nice enjoyable day at the beach. Guess it depends on what you are looking for.