Croatia

Would you return to Croatia as a vacation destination in itself? Is it clean? Is it safe (we are seasoned travellers, so I mean beyond the obvious cautions...)? Thank you.

Croatia is known for being one of the cleanest countries in Europe. The Adriatic sea is number one in our area. Should you visit here for a holiday, you must decide yourself. That being said, as an American I chose to retire in Dubrovnik, been here now for 9 years. Just this morning I was talking with my neighbor, mentioned how I often forget to lock my front door, I have no fear here. Also can say that I was often very concerned about my surroundings when living in California.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Croatia is known for being one of the cleanest countries in Europe. The Adriatic sea is number one in our area. Should you visit here for a holiday, you must decide yourself. That being said, as an American I chose to retire in Dubrovnik, been here now for 9 years. Just this morning I was talking with my neighbor, mentioned how I often forget to lock my front door, I have no fear here. Also can say that I was often very concerned about my surroundings when living in California.

You may enjoy viewing these selection of Croatian photographs.

http://www.travelhonestly.com/croatian-coast-from-above/

Thank you very much. That is surely a testament to the country :) I am thinking of planning a 25th anniversary trip to either Croatia or Portugal. I know this is a cruise forum, but I have been a member for a long time, and appreciate the integrity and community of the people on these boards, as opposed to other travel forums.

Absolutely!!

I have vacationed in Croatia twice for a few weeks each time. The first time we drove and took ferries to several islands and stayed at B&B's near the sea.

The second time we went back just to Rovinj only because I loved it so much the day we spent there the first time we visited. By all means Croatia is a lovely vacation destination I hope you enjoy your stay there.

We have done land holidays in Croatia, Montenegro and Slovenia. All three countries are lovely, but we thought Slovenia had the edge. The scenery is stunning, the food is excellent as it has a large Italian and Austrian influence. Hence the coffee and cakes being delicious. We also found it to be cheaper than Croatia and Montenegro.

• 4 weeks later...

We have done a 2-week land tour to Croatia and Slovenia. Both are wonderful countries with excellent views and kind people. We rented a car and drove around. We never needed to worry about safety issues.

On the other hand, Portugal is also a wonderful country. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

• 2 weeks later...

Florence in Italy used to be my favourite place until I went to Dubrovnik and Split in Croatia- it truly is beautiful. Always found it very welcoming, very safe, and very very clean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 5 weeks later...

Very clean, very safe. Very easy travel on your own. We want to return and start in Zagreb next. Last time we took the ferry from Ancona to Split. Then we worked our way down the Croatian coast on their ferry system. Stopped for a few days here and there. Dubrovnic is a very different city at night, or even during the day if there are not hoards of cruise ship tourists about. We rented cars in Dubrovnic for day trips to Montenegro and Bosnia. Rented a care on Hvar for day trips.

Wonderful people. I would encourage you to go. Why not?

Would do a driving vacation in Croatia (in a heartbeat). The only problem is that Croatia has become too darn popular with hoards of Europeans....and accordingly....the cost of hotels has really soared.

Hank

Hank

I agree with you about Croatia. Have you tried Slovenia? It has beautiful scenery, friendly people of which many speak English and is still cheap. IMHO the food is also better and more varied than Croatia.

No, we have never been to Slovenia (it doesn't help that the place is landlocked). But over the years we have had our share of waiters and bartenders who were from Slovenia...and they all would tell us that its a place we should visit. We have not yet done a long driving trip through Croatia although this will likely be in our future. At that time we would likely rent a car in Italy and drive through both Slovenia and Croatia.

Hank

Hank

Slovenia does have a short coast line near a lovely old town called Piran.

We hired a car from ATET in Ljubljana airport. Had an almost new automatic. Can't remember the cost, but it was very reasonable. They gave us the car papers just in case we wanted to take it cross border as there was no extra charge.

It is probably considerably cheaper to hire the car in Slovenia than Italy. If you get the chance do go, you won't be disappointed. If you like cakes, they do amazing cakes and have good coffee.

Would you return to Croatia as a vacation destination in itself? Is it clean? Is it safe (we are seasoned travellers, so I mean beyond the obvious cautions...)? Thank you.

Absolutely, we have been there 3 times now, twice to Porec and once to Brela. 100% recommend it, beautiful, safe, friendly. You can also do trips to places like Lake Bled which is wonderful, plus the Lipizana horses etc. Loads to do and enjoy.

• 2 months later...
Hvar, Croatia is also a place worth visiting. All the yachts! I have to say the water of Croatia is crystal clear, but the beaches are not sandy, but made of rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be there on our cruise. Looking for recommendations of things to do.

We're also going to Koper, Slovenia.

Recently back from a week in Croatia, a road trip up the Dalmatian coast from Dubrovnik. Got as far as Rovinj.

Beautiful, mile after mile on the winding coast just like California's Hwy One except the view is across to islands rather than empty sea.

Perfectly safe & clean, and attractive - tho time limited our visit to within about 40 miles of the Adriatic coast.

Not a wide choice of hotels, but lots of independently-run apartments and B&Bs - anywhere from just the one to half-a-dozen, usually attached to the owner's house and all run by friendly & helpful folk with pride in their hospitality.

Found the prices - from accommodation and car rental thro food to beers and ice-creams - broadly in line with the US. Inexpensive in most places, expensive in touristy places like Dubrovnik and Split.

BTW, Hank, do check whether you can take an Italian rental car to places like Croatia, Slovenia and Montenegro.

I've been told that most rental agencies in Italy won't allow it.

And it's expensive to take a Croatian rental car into neighbouring countries, other than the 5 or 6 miles of Bosnia's coastline on Hwy 8 which links the two halves of Croatia.

JB :)

JB

When we hired our car in Slovenia they asked if we wanted to take it cross border. We didn't, but took the papers anyway. We had the same experience when we hired our car in Dubrovnik airport hat time we were having a holiday in Montenegro, so wanted to take the car cross border.

We didn't pay any extra charges. In Slovenia we hired with ATET and in Croatia with Sixt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi JB,

Wanted to know we saw your post and appreciate the "heads up" about coming across the border. You are right that a long driving trip into both Croatia and Montenegro is on our "to do" list. But suddenly DW wants to go back to Asia...so this will be a priority for us next spring (flying to Singapore and cruising back to the USA). Not sure when we will get back to Croatia...although anything could happen...last minute. By the way, just had visitors (for a few days) from Seaford (near Brighton)....so we are keeping up relations with the "Brits." Will be off to Iceland, Greenland, and Norway in a few weeks...where its nice and cool.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

We enjoyed Croatia. We found it very safe. We crossed by ferry from Ancona and then hopscotched our way down the coast via the Jhardelina (sp) ferry system. Crossed back to Dubrovnik to Bari. Stayed in B&B's, rented cars occasionally.

Liked it so much that we want to return but this time fly into Zagreb, rent a car and tour through to Slovenia. High on our bucket list.