Pier 91 Parking

crazytomatoes

My family and I are cruising to Alaska in May. We are driving to the Port and plan to park at the Pier. We are sailing with Holland America. My question is do we drop off our luggage first or park first and bring our luggage with us? There are 6 of us and two cars. We are all adults. We are very mobile and can easily walk with our luggage a reasonable distance. What do most people do? What is the distance from the car park to the terminal? What is a good time to get there. We are driving from Chilliwack B.C. in the morning, it is about 2.5 hours to the Port, not including the time it takes to cross the boarder. This is our first time sailing out of Seattle but not our first to Alaska.

Thanks

My family and I are cruising to Alaska in May. We are driving to the Port and plan to park at the Pier. We are sailing with Holland America. My question is do we drop off our luggage first or park first and bring our luggage with us? There are 6 of us and two cars. We are all adults. We are very mobile and can easily walk with our luggage a reasonable distance. What do most people do? What is the distance from the car park to the terminal? What is a good time to get there. We are driving from Chilliwack B.C. in the morning, it is about 2.5 hours to the Port, not including the time it takes to cross the boarder. This is our first time sailing out of Seattle but not our first to Alaska.

Thanks

There are free shuttles from the parking lot to the terminal. The distance obviously depends how deep in the lot you park, but something on the order of 1/4 - 1/3 mile. You can probably start boarding around noon, so time your drive accordingly.

If you arrive early, there's a concierge/bag storage service at the terminal, so you could drive around, get a meal, etc., before parking if you want. There's not much nearby T91 except a shopping center wit.h a Whole Foods market and some shops, also the Palisade reataurant and Maggie Bluffs cafe, which does breakfast on the weekends, at Smith Cove Park/Marina (just west of the cruise piers, a brief drive from the parking lots.)

Parking in Seattle is expensive for the week. There are 2 parking lots near Pier 91. One is run by Republic Parking Northwest and it is $29.31 a day plus tax. https://www.cruiseseattleparking.com/pages/pier91 The other one is Seattle Cruise Park and it is $21 a day, tax cluded. https://seattlecruiseparking.com/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CJDo6f7d6NECFUiRfgodW6oE7A We have parked there many times and I prefer them over Republic. Seattle cruise parking picks you at your car so you don’t have to drag your bags to a central location. They have shuttles leaving every 10 minutes or so. We like to get to the Pier around 10:45 or so.

Edited by Eaglecw

I've been searching, but it appears that no matter what it will cost us an arm and leg to park near pier 91 for our cruise.....any tips from locals about finding a better deal?
You could look for something cheaper per day near the airport, but after adding in the cost of getting to and from T91, it will probably be a wash.

I've been searching, but it appears that no matter what it will cost us an arm and leg to park near pier 91 for our cruise.....any tips from locals about finding a better deal?

Parking in Seattle is gonna be a pain, there's no two ways about it. Your best bet may be to drive in the night before and stay at a hotel with a "Fly & Cruise" deal, where they'll keep your car for you and have a shuttle to drop you at Pier 91.

It will likely be roughly the same amount out of pocket, but you have the advantage of having driven in the night before so there's no risk of a traffic delay on the morning of your sail. (And you get an extra night and morning in Seattle.)

If you're coming from points south, you could also look into an airport hotel with free long-term customer parking: there are plentiful airport-to-cruise transfers available.

Don't have links handy just at the moment, but let me know if you'd like me to dig some up & post them.

Edited by TheAccidentalCruiser

Parking in Seattle is expensive, even parking at a hotel for the week can be expensive if you factor in the nights you have to stay there. I consider parking at or near the pier to be a convenience to make my cruise experience more enjoyable without the hassles of parking at a hotel or out by the airport and having the figure out how to get to the port. I park my car behind the Armory and in 10 – 15 minutes I’m at Pier 91. A couple of years ago a guy went sideways when he found out what it was going to cost to park his car at the Armory parking lot, $145 was too much to pay. He found a mini storage lot about 1 1/2 miles North of Pier 91 where he could park his car for $100 for the week. http://www.bridgestoragewa.com/interbay_magnolia_storage.php Only problem was he had to find his way back to Pier 91, so he dropped his wife and 2 kids off at Pier 91, went up to the mini storage lot, parked his car and ran back to Pier 91. When they came back from his cruise he ran back up to the mini storage lot retrieved the car, drove back to Pier 91 and picked up his family, now how convenient is that. I would rather park at the Armory and get a shuttle ride to Pier 91 and be done with it, it’s a lot more convenient.

• 2 months later...
Parking in Seattle is expensive, even parking at a hotel for the week can be expensive if you factor in the nights you have to stay there. I consider parking at or near the pier to be a convenience to make my cruise experience more enjoyable without the hassles of parking at a hotel or out by the airport and having the figure out how to get to the port. I park my car behind the Armory and in 10 – 15 minutes I’m at Pier 91. A couple of years ago a guy went sideways when he found out what it was going to cost to park his car at the Armory parking lot, $145 was too much to pay. He found a mini storage lot about 1 1/2 miles North of Pier 91 where he could park his car for $100 for the week. http://www.bridgestoragewa.com/interbay_magnolia_storage.php Only problem was he had to find his way back to Pier 91, so he dropped his wife and 2 kids off at Pier 91, went up to the mini storage lot, parked his car and ran back to Pier 91. When they came back from his cruise he ran back up to the mini storage lot retrieved the car, drove back to Pier 91 and picked up his family, now how convenient is that. I would rather park at the Armory and get a shuttle ride to Pier 91 and be done with it, it’s a lot more convenient.

Which of the lots is at the Armory?

Thanks

I would highly recommend that you drop off everybody else in the car and all the bags at the terminal building. (That is a lot easier than trying to load your bags onto the small shuttle bus that will bring you back to the terminal building!) There will be 3 lines, cars on the left, taxi's in the middle, and motorcoaches on the right. You will want to get in the left lane. Pull into the lot (you'll be directed where to go) drop off everybody and the bags. They can either get a porter to take the bags in or take them in themselves. Then they can pick up health forms and come back outside if they'd like and wait for you to process in all together or they can go ahead and start processing and wait for you to get back from the parking lot, or you can meet somewhere on the ship, whichever works best for you. If you process separately, however, make sure that you have your passport (or other id papers), health form, boarding pass with you and someone else doesn't have them!

After you drop your party off drive to the parking lot, lock your car and catch the free shuttle back to the pier and do your processing and then get on to the ship and have a great cruise! The shuttle will drop you off in bus slot A or B, right next to the terminal building.

Hope this helps.

Tom