Scooter or Wheelchair rentals in Rome?

Though SpecialNeedsatSeas does rent scooter internationally it does not service all European Cruise Ports In fact it does not regularly service the port of Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy so you would have to email or call them to find out for certain

However Scootaround ( formerly CareVacations) does rent mobility scooters out of the port of Civitavecchia (Rome) Italy.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I have not used a scooter or a wheelchair in Rome, but have travelled there several times and walked all over the city. If I were faced with your choice, I would recommend a scooter. Some of the streets in places you may want to visit are uneven and some are paved with cobbles or paving stones with gaps between the stones. The scooter would roll over surfaces and obstacles that a wheelchair may get caught or stuck in.

We had quite a show one evening watching a woman try to walk down a cobble stone street in high heels without getting her heels caught between the stones.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

The historical center of Rome might have curb cutouts. The 'newer' neighborhoods do have curb cutouts, but invariably they are blocked by parked cars. Also dodging sidewalk parked motor-scooters is an art form. Some sidewalks are extremely narrow, and can have utility poles stuck in the middle.

I have not used a scooter or a wheelchair in Rome, but have travelled there several times and walked all over the city. If I were faced with your choice, I would recommend a scooter. Some of the streets in places you may want to visit are uneven and some are paved with cobbles or paving stones with gaps between the stones. The scooter would roll over surfaces and obstacles that a wheelchair may get caught or stuck in.

We had quite a show one evening watching a woman try to walk down a cobble stone street in high heels without getting her heels caught between the stones.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

LOL note to self don't wear heels .....I bet that was amusing. Thanks for the input will take it into consideration.

I guess I should clarify. I am not looking for a rental for the ship. I am looking for some mobility assistance while in Rome. My husband is mobility challenged. He can walk I am not worried about the actual tours but trying to figure out how to get him from place to place without having to walk a long distance. I am thinking about a cane with a stool so he can sit and rest if he needs to. I am trying to figure out if a wheelchair or scooter would be the best if our group decides to walk from site to site. The other issue is having a place to leave it while on tour. Luckily we have until October to figure out the details.

Sue

Rome is not particularly disabled friendly, but it can be done. I have taken a manual wheelchair to Rome, but it was quite hard work for my OH pushing me.

As already mentioned, cars are often parked on the pavement making it difficult to cross the road.

Many museums offer free entrance to disabled people and their carer. They also have wheelchairs you can borrow FOC.

There is a company that offers tours by golf buggy which are suitable for disabled visitors as they can get down the small, narrow streets. I can't remember the name of the company but you can find it with a Google search.

There are also small electric buses which are part of the public transport system, which can go down the narrow streets. I think there are about four different routes.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...