Cell phone service onboard?

doone

When calling your carrier - keep in mind - when at sea - your phone WILL lock into the ships service. I was out to sea for two days crosdining the Pacific - my phone rang , Wife said "want me to get that" HELL no. I had forgotten to turn phone Off . It will ring - answer and you Will pay.

Depends upon the carrier. So charge for unanswered calls some do not. Contact your carrier for details.

Verizon cust service is notorious for giving bad info out regarding international travel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And, you can trust, without question, the advice you get from anonymous persons on the internet? Seriously, the carriers may make mistake but their answers are far more reliable than what you'll get on this forum.

Just confirming, iPhone in airplane mode disallows text messaging, correct?

Going to South America and getting the AT&T cell & text plan. I plan to only use it on land. I'm guessing when we get into port I can check if the ship has turned off their cellular.[/

I just set my phone so I can use it as a camera period while on a cruise at sea

I then use my wifi only iPad mini she I want to check mail or text on the ship using the ships wifi plan which on ncl I take as a perk

Correct. In airplane mode you can still use the camera, clock. But no chance of picking up any data or roaming charges you don't expect. I have left it that way for days, not even going past that in ports, and just finding wifi.

Turning off data roaming is a key point. We did not do that and got a very nasty surprise from AT&T on our return (over $500). We threw ourselves on their mercy and claimed stupidity and they reversed most of the charges. It was a lesson well learned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Turning off data roaming is a key point. We did not do that and got a very nasty surprise from AT&T on our return (over $500). We threw ourselves on their mercy and claimed stupidity and they reversed most of the charges. It was a lesson well learned.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If it is airplane mode (meaning you aren't planning to use it except when wifi is available), the data roaming is irrelevant. Airplane mode is the fail safe on an iPhone.

I will just plan to put mine in airplane mode at sailaway and take it out of that when I'm at a dock on my Alaskan trip. I will get a wifi package on board so if anyone needs me that can imessage from their iPhone. I can check it twice a day or so for any emergencies that have popped up.

The last 2 Alaska seasons when I've switched my phone on during the sailing days up and down the BC coast on HAL ships on the 7 day r/t Vancouver run I have either

1. Picked up no cell signal at all or

2. Been able to pick up a TELUS signal, which is a Canadian carrier, this was when the ship was near small coastal towns (watch the ship nav. channel!) or when we were between the mainland and Vancouver Island.

I have not seen Cellular at Sea picked up by my phone on an Alaska HAL trip yet but I may just have been lucky. I always switch to airplane mode when I'm not actively using my phone.

And, you can trust, without question, the advice you get from anonymous persons on the internet? Seriously, the carriers may make mistake but their answers are far more reliable than what you'll get on this forum.

Lol you are funny

I don't trust anonymous internet advice so that is why

I CALL Verizon and know EXACTLY what the cruise ship cell phone situation is.

Has anyone tried Viber on board? As long as there is wifi around or 4G on your phone, calls are free. Never tried this on a cruise though. Anyone??

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Wifi is not free on the ship and unless you pay for an unlimited wifi package you will burn through any freebie wifi perk you might have gotten before you know it

If you keep cellular on while at see and see the 4g on your phone you risk gettting massive data charges from your carrier also

Has anyone tried Viber on board? As long as there is wifi around or 4G on your phone, calls are free. Never tried this on a cruise though. Anyone??

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Things are very different on a cruise ship. Strongly suggest you contact your carrier to find out exactly what charges you might incur.