Distance from Southampton train station to cruise terminal/transportation options

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are doing the British Isles cruise on NCL in late May. Pre-cruise, we're staying in London and taking a train in to Southampton the morning of the cruise. How far away is the cruise terminal from the train station? What are our best options to get to the cruise terminal?

Riselda

Southampton central to your NCL ship at City Cruise Terminal is walkable in about15 minutes, very simple and on level ground.

Or a taxi from the rank at the station will take less than 5 minutes and cost little more than the minimum fare, about £6.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.9068666,-1.4127341/50.9006613,-1.414439/@50.9032309,-1.418623,1321m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

Are you taking advantage of the cheap pre-booked London Waterloo - Southampton central train tickets from https://uk.megabus.com/megatrain.aspx ?

Available from about 6 weeks out, limited choice of trains but 3 or 4 that suit a cruiser's timetable & tickets cost between £1 (not a typo) and £10, compared to the walk-up fare of over £40.

JB :)

• 2 years later...

I recently cruised from Southampton and walked from the railway station to the City cruise terminal. It is about one mile, with sidewalks all the way. We are a married couple, age 63, with our adult son, age 29. We made the transfer rolling a 25" suitcase each, and a smaller carry on bag nested on top. We were very pleased to find there are no steps from train to ship. The walking path begins just to the left of the train station, and is plainly visible. The route follows a pedestrian path through a large shopping district car park at first, passing by an ASDA store and a disused Toys 'r' Us. Presently the path merges on to the sidewalk of a major thoroughfare, which is called Harbour Parade. Following this to its end at a roundabout, we found ourselves before the Carnival cruise line headquarters building, from which the ship was plainly visible to the right. A short jog to the left led us to a turning adjacent to the Holiday Inn Express hotel, and bearing right we gained access to the port entrance. 

It was very pleasant, provided you have a reasonable amount of luggage and a forbearance of rain.. I would mention that the train carriages traveling from London Waterloo to Southampton have very limited overhead luggage space, and none in the vestibules. It was a struggle to manhandle our 25" bags overhead. Moreover, this size bag barely fit in the overhead rack, due not to its length but to its thickness,. Using anything larger than this, or more pieces of luggage per person, would indicate the need for a motorcoach transfer from central London. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sddsddean said:

In case anyone reads this 2017 resurrected thread, megatrain no longer operates between London and Southampton, so is not a transport option.

Simon

Well-spotted, Simon.

But cheapish pre-booked train tickets are still available......

from the operator, South-West Trains 

http://tickets.southwesternrailway.com

but I find the National Rail website much easier to use.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk

Pre-booked tickets are available from about 6 weeks out. Those cheap tickets (£15 on a random mid-October date) are only good for the train time that you booked - miss it and you'll have to pay full fare (around £44) for the next train

JB :classic_smile:

22 hours ago, tartanexile81 said:

There are plenty of taxis outside Southampton Central which is the main station in Southampton. Make sure you DON'T get off at Southampton Airport! It's only  a few pounds and not worth walking. The taxi driver will just whizz you down there in a few minutes. 

I disagree, "worth walking" is entirely a subjective statement. 

For example to dock 101 (Royal Caribbean) The distance isn't far -- about 3 cruise ship lengths; over level ground with sidewalks.  It's entirely possible you dragged your luggage further inside the airport. To me, unless it's bucketing down with rain, the short (10-15 minute walk) is no longer than a taxi ride (load/unload/pay), and frankly it's good for me.

It depends on your fitness and how much luggage you have.

Recently my husband and I walked from ABP parking, with our carry on trolley bags to the ship. We struggled as we are both in our late 70’s.

i have attached a map showing the position of the railway station. (Black A).

1636AD3A-58F6-49F4-B8C6-E076576CC35D.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

27 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

How far is the pier for Princess?

How far from where?

From the coach station, Ocean cruise terminal (most Princess ships) is about a mile, 25 minutes, all level.

Mayflower Terminal, sometimes used by Princess, is about the same but not an interesting walk and much of it in the port.

2 minutes ago, John Bull said:

How far from where?

From the coach station, Ocean cruise terminal (most Princess ships) is about a mile, 25 minutes, all level.

Mayflower Terminal, sometimes used by Princess, is about the same but not an interesting walk and much of it in the port.

From the railway station.

On 9/17/2019 at 2:17 PM, bworks22 said:

I recently cruised from Southampton and walked from the railway station to the City cruise terminal. 

Thanks for sharing your experience.  What train route did you take to Southampton?

Thanks!

Brad 

On 9/17/2019 at 11:17 AM, bworks22 said:

I recently cruised from Southampton and walked from the railway station to the City cruise terminal. It is about one mile, with sidewalks all the way. We are a married couple, age 63, with our adult son, age 29. We made the transfer rolling a 25" suitcase each, and a smaller carry on bag nested on top. We were very pleased to find there are no steps from train to ship. The walking path begins just to the left of the train station, and is plainly visible. The route follows a pedestrian path through a large shopping district car park at first, passing by an ASDA store and a disused Toys 'r' Us. Presently the path merges on to the sidewalk of a major thoroughfare, which is called Harbour Parade. Following this to its end at a roundabout, we found ourselves before the Carnival cruise line headquarters building, from which the ship was plainly visible to the right. A short jog to the left led us to a turning adjacent to the Holiday Inn Express hotel, and bearing right we gained access to the port entrance. 

It was very pleasant, provided you have a reasonable amount of luggage and a forbearance of rain.. I would mention that the train carriages traveling from London Waterloo to Southampton have very limited overhead luggage space, and none in the vestibules. It was a struggle to manhandle our 25" bags overhead. Moreover, this size bag barely fit in the overhead rack, due not to its length but to its thickness,. Using anything larger than this, or more pieces of luggage per person, would indicate the need for a motorcoach transfer from central London. 

The shorter (and better sidewalks) route is via Southern Road and into the docks at the main dock gate on Southern Rd

Suggest Route: RED

Your Route: BLUE

image.thumb.png.e8977dc2b67a05a2013d46f5023da7ae.png

The red route on scottbee's map is the way to go. Just be aware that the trucks re-supplying the ship park on Solent Road...not a problem, just be aware of possible traffic movements. To be honest, the nutters in the cars using the road to the car parks are more likely to hit you!! (What a happy pre cruise thought!😁).

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers to the suggestion of a better walking route, by some local experts. My route was one of two suggested by Google Maps (yours was the other) and we chose it, though  a bit longer, merely for the opportunity for its route through some shopping for before and after cruise. The original question was whether it is walk-able to begin with, and I think all the posts confirm it to be so, allowing for the concerns of luggage, fitness for walking, etc.

17 hours ago, geoherb said:

I was tempted to walk from the coach station. Our ship, the Crown Princess, was at the Mayflower Terminal. But it was raining the morning we arrived. We shared a cab with another couple.

If you look at the map I posted, the BLUE route goes past the National Express depot; but if it's raining, I don't blame you.

• Like 1