Soda/beverage packages

Sorry as I'm sure this is answered somewhere, but I don't seem to ever find things when I search. We're new to RCI for this upcoming cruise and wanted to confirm what I think is correct. On Carnival, we'd get my teenage son the soda package and with that he could get any sodas as well as juices. It was a good deal being less than $10/day. But if I'm reading things correctly, RCI has 2 different beverage packages. One would be for just sodas ($10/day), but if he wants to be able to get juice (since he doesn't really drink soda), we'd have to get the $30/day package. Am I reading that correctly? I won't do it if that's the case. I don't see any reason to spend $240 for him to have some juices on the ship then. Especially since we have 4 port days where we'll be gone for the entire day. Thanks for your help!

You are correct that soda package ($8.50 per day plus 18%) does not include fresh squeezed juices.

The Refreshment package ($26 per day plus 18%) does include fresh squeezed juices.

However, juice concentrates (orange, apple) are available at breakfast for no extra charge, no package needed.

You are correct that soda package ($8.50 per day plus 18%) does not include fresh squeezed juices.

The Refreshment package ($26 per day plus 18%) does include fresh squeezed juices.

However, juice concentrates (orange, apple) are available at breakfast for no extra charge, no package needed.

Thanks! I guess we won't be getting it for any of us then. That $30 package is ridiculous!

Thanks! I guess we won't be getting it for any of us then. That $30 package is ridiculous!

I agree, unless you are getting several specialty coffees and non-alcoholic cocktails, it's not really economical.

The $26.00 refreshment package was just onsale today for my sailing for $18.00 a day

I'll keep my eyes open to see if they ever discount it. But even then, I'd have to still pause. I guess I'm used to the much cheaper prices on other lines. I'll just have to cut back on my soda, not a big deal.

I'll keep my eyes open to see if they ever discount it. But even then, I'd have to still pause. I guess I'm used to the much cheaper prices on other lines. I'll just have to cut back on my soda, not a big deal.

Soda package is $8.50 per day.

The $26.00 refreshment package was just onsale today for my sailing for $18.00 a day

Mine too, surprisingly since most of the sales lately weren't good for my sailing.

FYI- The Refreshment Package ($26) also includes bottled water, both still and sparkling.

Soda package is $8.50 per day.

But it's like $10.50, or something close to that with taxes and such. So basically about $85 for the cruise. If a soda is like $3 something, then I'd have to be getting at least 3/day to break even. And like I said, our port days are really long, like 10-12 hours in port, so I wouldn't even be using it on those days. Make sense?! LOL!

But it's like $10.50, or something close to that with taxes and such. So basically about $85 for the cruise. If a soda is like $3 something, then I'd have to be getting at least 3/day to break even. And like I said, our port days are really long, like 10-12 hours in port, so I wouldn't even be using it on those days. Make sense?! LOL!

Soda package is $10.03 with gratuity. Cans of soda (cans are the only way to buy soda without a package) are $3.84 with gratity.

Soda package is $10.03 with gratuity. Cans of soda (cans are the only way to buy soda without a package) are $3.84 with gratity.

On our last cruise, there was another option. One could order cans of soda to be stocked in the in-room refrigerator. The prices varied with the number of cans ordered, but it got as low as $2/can, if I recall correctly. For a family with several soda-drinkers, this might be more economical than the soda package. Obviously, this means toting around your own cans, but I was toting around my cup for the Freestyle machines so I don't think I'd find it unbearably inconvenient.

However, the selection is quite limited. I knew I wouldn't "break even" on the soda package, but the prospect of having all the choices (particularly choices of diet sodas) in the Freestyle machines made me opt for the soda package.

However, the other side of the story is that the orange stuff that they have lately been serving at no charge is pretty undrinkable. Of course, that is in my opinion.

If you are considering the package for your upcoming cruise on Independence that you have listed in your signature, I would just inform you that the ship does not have Freestyle soda machines so your soda choices with a package would be limited to what is served at bars and restaurants and comes from syrup guns. Cans of soda are not included. I personally, would not get a package on a ship without the Freestyle machines as I only really like to drink Coke Zero. Even at the sale price that has frequently been seen at $18.00 per day I would not buy without Freestyle machines. But that is just my opinion.

However, the other side of the story is that the orange stuff that they have lately been serving at no charge is pretty undrinkable. Of course, that is in my opinion.

I've found the taste of the "free" OJ can vary greatly from venue to venue on the same ship. On our recent Rhapsody cruise, the OJ from Park Cafe was not bad, but the OJ from Windjammer approached undrinkable.

this is good info and us newbies appreciate it. impossible to find pricing on official RCI site and as expensive as NCL is, at least all the pricing is on their website.

kctwin i agree that price is nuts for the mid package. though it does include bottled water if i recall. if so that is a huge deal coming from NCL where i paid 80 bucks for a case of water.

On our last cruise, there was another option. One could order cans of soda to be stocked in the in-room refrigerator. The prices varied with the number of cans ordered, but it got as low as $2/can, if I recall correctly. For a family with several soda-drinkers, this might be more economical than the soda package. Obviously, this means toting around your own cans, but I was toting around my cup for the Freestyle machines so I don't think I'd find it unbearably inconvenient.

However, the selection is quite limited. I knew I wouldn't "break even" on the soda package, but the prospect of having all the choices (particularly choices of diet sodas) in the Freestyle machines made me opt for the soda package.

you answered a question i was going to post. ive been watching videos of the anthem and saw the soda machines and wondered how they prevent everyone from just taking soda.

i'm assuming other than at the machines you just have to show your card and the bartenders give you soda. is there a convenience bar in the buffet? i hated the NCL bar setup at the rear of the buffet.

this is good info and us newbies appreciate it. impossible to find pricing on official RCI site and as expensive as NCL is, at least all the pricing is on their website.

kctwin i agree that price is nuts for the mid package. though it does include bottled water if i recall. if so that is a huge deal coming from NCL where i paid 80 bucks for a case of water.

Soda package pricing for your cruise is available in your cruise planner. Have you checked there?

Soda package pricing for your cruise is available in your cruise planner. Have you checked there?

my understanding is that until you book a cruise, you cannot see prices of things. i'm used to NCL high prices but at least they listed the pricing for people who werent booked so there were no surprises and you could make informed decisions

my understanding is that until you book a cruise, you cannot see prices of things. i'm used to NCL high prices but at least they listed the pricing for people who werent booked so there were no surprises and you could make informed decisions

Some of Royal's prices change sailing to sailing, so without an actual booking, you can't get accurate prices.

Drink package prices vary. You can get a ballpark price before booking but you will not know what it is for your particular booking until you book. The packages also go on sale frequently, so you have to keep an eye out for that too. We are sailing Anthem later this month and were able to get the refreshment package for $18 per day during the recent sale. Regular price for our sailing was $26 per day.