Baby in diapers in the pool - Would you say something?

HawksFan74

No...swim diaper are made to contain poop and are Made for the pool. They were doing the right thing.

If it was a regular diaper, I would just get out...don't want to cause a scene for anyone:confused:

Not sure telling a cruise member would work... They are hesitant about removing towels from chair hogs when no one is there, so I doubt they would confront a passenger

I agree. I'd rather see a baby in the pool WITH a diaper on, than one WITHOUT! :eek: Swim diaper is even better...but I guess, babies are not allowed in the pool at all?

Edited by suzyed

How many drunks do you think pee in those pools?

I'm trying to find where is says babies aren't allowed in pools. I found where it says non potty trained children aren't allowed in saunas and hot tubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The drunks are peeing and the little kids are peeing. I guess poop is the real problem. Best to skip the pool perhaps?

As far as the jacuzzis....I call it "people soup"...there's got to be all kinds of "stuff" in there! :eek:

Once upon a time 1991 on the old Crown Princess they had a swim up pool bar. There would be adults pounding drinks all day and I never saw anyone leave to use the bathroom. After that I have avoided pools with swim up bars.

EWWWW! :eek:

Anybody remember the little boy in Atlanta who died and the cause was traced back to a popular pool that was contaminated with fecal matter?

It's not just Noro to worry about, it's C Diff and plain old dysentery.

Peeing in a pool is gross, but I don't know of any life threatening diseases caused by it. I hope I never have to find out.[/quote

FYI normal urine is sterile, no bacteria.

Yes, urine is sterile....UNTIL it "runs by" your body parts which are not sterile and contain bacteria.

With that said,, I agree, urine in the pool is not really a health hazard, just unappealing, although I'm it's pretty well diluted.

:p

Went on the star princess to Alaska 2 1/2 years ago before my daughter was potty trained. We didn't put her in the pool at all, until a couple days before the end when the kids club offered us swim diapers, and they were surprised when we told them it was against Princess' rules. We figured if they stocked swim diapers we'd let her go in the the baby pool.

As if hopping under the outdoor shower in your bathers is going to remove any remnant fecal matter. All it will do it make your skin wet and maybe move a little perspiration.

AND, rinsing the fecal matter into your swim suit and then floating out once you get into the pool! LOL!:p:D

We shower in our cabin (with soap) before heading up to the pool, so we will be the ones NOT showering out by the pool!

This whole discussion is getting pretty amusing! :cool:

Edited by suzyed

Yes, urine is sterile....UNTIL it "runs by" your body parts which are not sterile and contain bacteria.

With that said,, I agree, urine in the pool is not really a health hazard, just unappealing, although I'm it's pretty well diluted.

:p

Still gross:(

No...swim diaper are made to contain poop and are Made for the pool. They were doing the right thing.

If it was a regular diaper, I would just get out...don't want to cause a scene for anyone:confused:

Not sure telling a cruise member would work... They are hesitant about removing towels from chair hogs when no one is there, so I doubt they would confront a passenger

Swim diapers are usually not allowed in most public pools. They will not contain poop more than 2 minutes according to the CDC. Since the pools on the ships do not contain chlorine to kill any bacteria, any fecal matter in the pool can make a lot of people sick. It also results in the crew having to drain and decontaminate the pool before re-filling it.

There's a reason that swim diapers are also referred to as fecal tea bags. Please do not encourage people to use them in a public pool.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/swimmers/swim-diapers-swim-pants.html

Wasn't going to jump into this thread, as I saw it originally as just a moral question, but there is a lot of bad information being bandied about, so I'll clarify a few things.

@hillslife: Swim diapers may be "made for the pool", and allowed in public pools on land, because they are regulated by state or local health laws, they are not allowed in cruise ship pools, by USPH regulation. The CDC (the parent organization of the USPH) has done a study of land based public pools, and found that over 60% of them would have been closed down if under USPH regulations, and that number swelled to 80% when looking only at kiddie pools that allow swim diapers.

@dtb55: It is a USPH regulation that non-potty trained children are not allowed in pools, hot tubs, or splash areas. The only exceptions are for those "baby only recreational water facilities", specifically designed to meet USPH regulations for children in diapers, and very few ships have these. Currently, only the Disney ships, and RCI's Freedom, Oasis, and Quantum class ships have them.

@cb at sea: Once again, a load of BS here. Pool size has nothing to do with the ability of a pool to maintain sanitation level. In fact, the smaller ship's pools tend to keep a higher chlorine level than shore pools, by direction of the USPH. The reason there is a no diaper rule is that the USPH/CDC controls these pools, and they are the world experts on contagious diseases, and know the hazards of diapers in pools, based on the studies I noted above.

@floridalover5623: The reason ships don't have baby-only pools is the cost of construction and operation. The pool must have a completely separate water supply from all other pools, it must have a greater "turn over" rate (how many times an hour the water is filtered and sanitized) than the other pools, it must have a UV sterilizer in the recirculation system, as well as a filter and chlorination equipment, there must be a crew member assigned to supervise the pool at all times, and the ship must supply swim diapers. And actually, the 102*F that most folks like their hot tubs at, is the optimum breeding temperature of the legionella bacillus (legionaire's disease), which is an inhaled bacteria, which is why most, if not all, air jets on the hot tubs have been disconnected.

@chpurser: incontinent adults are not supposed to be allowed in the pools either. The USPH requirement that signs advising showering before using the pool has nothing to do with excrement, as you certainly cannot clean your private areas with your swimwear on. The reason to shower is to remove sunscreen or suntan lotion, and other bodily oils, which can form an oil layer on the pool water and stop the chlorine from performing its sanitizing function.

@minniem: personally, the exact right response. Its not up to you to make a confrontation with another passenger, and letting crew know that you are aware of USPH regulations, tends to escalate their response. Also, mentioning that if nothing is done you will contact their supervisor will elicit a response.

@casofilia: ship's pool water, as it is recirculated through the filter, is also passed by a chlorine monitor, which will adjust the pump that is constantly injecting chlorine into the water. So, these pools are tested every second, and the dosing is adjusted every second, to adjust to bather and environmental load. The chlorine level is also recorded on a continual clock chart that lasts 24 hours. This is backed up by manual testing every 4 hours. And yet, the CDC does not recommend swim diapers in the pools, without the further use of a UV sterilizer.

@planodebbie: not always the case that ship's pools do not contain chlorine. The only ship's pools that are not chlorinated, are sea water pools, when operated more than 12 miles from shore, which may be in "flow through mode", where clean sea water is pumped into the pool constantly, and the overflow returns to the sea. At all times, when within 12 miles of shore, a sea water pool must either be closed and drained, or switched to "recirculation", where the water is circulated through a filter. Both fresh water and sea water pools, when in recirculation mode, must be chlorinated, and maintain a level of 1-5ppm residual chlorine. Since it takes a couple of hours to stabilize the chlorine levels at the proper point when switching from flow through to recirculation, and this must be done before the ship reaches 12 miles from shore, many ships do not switch to flow through for a sea water pool unless there are more than a couple sea days in a row.

I agree. I'd rather see a baby in the pool WITH a diaper on, than one WITHOUT! :eek: Swim diaper is even better...but I guess, babies are not allowed in the pool at all?

They should NOT be, period! The Crapping issue is one thing, it's a parent not paying full attention, that can result in tragedy. How many infants die in hot cars, etc. A disaster can happen in moments.

• 2 weeks later...
I'll bet some of the Princess kids pools exceed the 20 gallons. :')

http://www.fox13news.com/health/239578586-story

Big difference between ships' pools and shore side pools. Ship's pools are drained regularly, typically once a week, if not sooner. Shore pools are usually not drained until they want to paint the pool. Even when the pool chemistry gets completely out of whack, they generally just drain half the water and refill. This is why USPH does not require any more complicated pool treatment than chlorine, unlike shore pools.

Big difference between ships' pools and shore side pools. Ship's pools are drained regularly, typically once a week, if not sooner. Shore pools are usually not drained until they want to paint the pool. Even when the pool chemistry gets completely out of whack, they generally just drain half the water and refill. This is why USPH does not require any more complicated pool treatment than chlorine, unlike shore pools.

Drained or not I'll bet the kids on our CB cruise filled it up to the max standard with pee.

My experience with issues such as this is that a crew member is unlikely to do anything about it. Princess staff appear reluctant to challenge passengers about anything. It seems that on Princess some passengers ARE always right.

Every ship has a sanitary officer and a medical officer. If the pool staff did not handle it immediately, I would escalate it to a higher level officer. I would also want to know why the offending family was allowed to remain on the ship. When this happens, they need to drain the pool, maybe sanitize it and then refill it. The parents who interfere with everyone's else's use of the pool have no right to remain on the ship.

DON

I've never used either the pools or hot tubs on ships and for the very reason this thread was started. My question is whether these pools could be a source for the norovirus. Note: I said "a" source, not "the" source.

I've never used either the pools or hot tubs on ships and for the very reason this thread was started. My question is whether these pools could be a source for the norovirus. Note: I said "a" source, not "the" source.

Not very likely, as the chlorine levels in the pools (2-5ppm) and hot tubs (8-10ppm), along with the continuous monitoring and dosing achieving a maximum contact time for the chlorine to work makes any virus or bacteria living in the pool water unlikely. Remember, the regulations are set by the USPH, which is a department of the CDC, the world's most respected center for control of infectious diseases. CDC surveyed a few hundred public pools in the US and found that 80% of them would be shut down if they were under the USPH requirements.