Why Did You Choose The Room You Did?

momofslg

Our cabin choices have changed over time.

Our first 6 cruises, it was just my wife and I and we booked guarantee's or the most inexpensive. We have been lucky for a few upgrades and other times, we had an inside. Never a problem.

The last 3 cruises we brought our children (now age 12 and 8). We selected outside cabins for 2 based on location, beds (2 upper and 2 lower) and price. Our August 2006 was booked for price. It was an inside. We will not do an inside for 4 with three lower beds again (NCL Spirit). Loved the cruise and the ship, did not like the cabin.

In August 2007, we booked an AB Penthouse on the NCL Dawn. We booked this for the 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, balcony, living room, dining area, whirlpool tub, and butler! We are going from a cabin that was 149 sq. feet to over 500 sq. feet. This was cheaper than booking 2 adjoining cabins.

I think we will be happy with the change.

First cruise, no idea what was going on, we got some sort of upgrade, but other than that - was a total suprise (we had a window at least!) :D

This time, we chose the spa deck on the new Carnival Freedom, there is three of us, so we wanted a bit more room, and it was an excellent price with our time share trade in. Our friends are in 2 balcony decks 2 decks down from ours - they chose them based on suggestions from the board.

• 2 months later...

We just got off the Summit and we booked #6035. It is one of the "sweet 16" with double depth balcony. We absolutely loved the fact that we had 2 lounge chairs as well as the usual 2 chairs and small table and we were paying for the cheapest veranda cabin. If we cruise on a celbrity Millenium Class ship in the future, we will definetly try for one of these rooms.

I book balcony HC cabins midships if possible suites if there are any HC ones, they are a rare animal indeed. If there are no HC balconies then I book a suite that has an ocean view on ships with no balconies. It is the only way to get the room for the WC if no HC rooms are available. If only inside HC rooms available I will book another line or ship.

Well our rooms have changed over the years. On our first cruise we slept down by the engines(lol) just happy to be there!

Well many years and cruises later ( 2 kids thru college) our last cruise was a 25th anniversary cruise. We booked a mini suite but were upgraded to a romance suite on NCL.

Needless to say we are booked on the Tahitian Princess this March and I booked an owners suite this time.

I believe after all these years we are worth (and able to do it).

You'll never find a better value for a vacation then a cruise regardless of what room you stay in.

Enjoy:)

Price/Itinerary/ship/cruiseline all play a part in my selection. My first two cruises I went the cheapest I could get and had ocean view, didn't know enought to even select the cabin, took what they gave me.

Then I lucked out on a 5 day cruise on NCL from Los Angeles to Vancouver for $439 pp in a mini-suite with a balcony. Would never go back to any other type of room again. I selected with the PVP's help 6143 on Celebrity Constellation for New England/Canada cruise, and I fear I am even more spoiled now. I loved the Concierge Class (extra 20 sq ft in the cabin and the balcony was triple what the normal balconies are). Fresh flowers, welcome champagne, thick plush bathrobes, thick towels and a bath mat color coordinated, massage shower head, canapes (we switched to cheese/crackers/fruit), pillow men, and special CC breakfast menu.

I couldn't afford that extra $500 pp for the Alaska cruise, so it's back to a regular veranda cabin kind of mid-ship on the 5th deck. I think I would have to say price is usually my main consideration for a balcony cabin.

But I'm the odd man out on these boards, I don't care for the aft cabins. I noticed in the dining room at dinner, that watching the wake certainly adds to the discomfort if you suffer motion sickness at all. I had even taken a bonine and still felt nauseaous looking out those aft windows at the wake in the moonlight, so I would never book one of those for my cruise.

For us the ship is the destination so we choose our cabins based upon space (we spend a lot of time in our cabin!).

Last 3 cruises, AB Penthouse on Dawn, Deluxe Verandah Suite on Zuiderdam and Westerdam; upcoming cruise AB Penthouse on Pearl.

We love the extra space and perks that come along with the suites - it's our "big" vacation of the year and we deserve it!:)

DH and I definitely prefer a balcony - we use it quite frequently. And we also get a room near the stairs that are closest to the buffet ;) No more than two levels down from it...a little exercise is good :) and then we don't feel so bad. Room 7336 on Carnival Glory Feb. 10, 2007.

DH and I definitely prefer a balcony - we use it quite frequently. And we also get a room near the stairs that are closest to the buffet ;) No more than two levels down from it...a little exercise is good :) and then we don't feel so bad. Room 7336 on Carnival Glory Feb. 10, 2007.

• 2 months later...

For our first cruise we wanted to have some extra room, it will be my sister, niece and myself. My sister wanted a balcony as she wants to have coffee on it each morning :)

So we figured since we are not paying to fly into port, we live close to Tampa, we could use the "plane" money for a suite.

So hopefully V9 on the Inspiration was a good choice.. :confused:

I have had 1st cruise .......oh my god can you get any lower,darker and smaller........Sothern Carrbbean, Royal Carrbbean

2nd cruise........love those tubs and a couch and balcony.....Alaska Island Princess

3rd..............The window, um the window last minute choice East , West?? Caribbean Princess

4th....... The big room, the marble the balcony....... East West???.Miracle Carnival

5th .....2 beds my own closet............solo going to Hawaii Spirit Carnival

6th and 7th.....1A with the 2 windows solo The transalantic and meditterian Carnival Freedom

Will take what I can get at a good price and going to where I want to go:D

Our first cruise was an inside cabin and was picked because of price. We did not mind it at all. Our next cruise coming up is also an inside cabin, picked for price. It's only a 3 day so we don't mind being in an inside.

Our June cruise will be our first 7 day and I decided I didn't want to be in an inside cabin for 7 days. This is also our first vacation together since we had kids that is more than 3 days long so we want to spend it pretty much alone and together without having to be on deck with everyone else. I was lucky that someone released the aft corner cabin with the largest balcony and I booked it :) I am sure it will spoil us completely and we'll never be able to do an inside again ;)

Next cruise in October is a girl's only cruise so we went for cheapest cabin available. We won't be in it much :)

Next year on Freedom we are going with my parents and it was cheaper to book the Royal family Suite than to book two different cabins. So we did. Again, going to be spoiled rotten :D

1st cruise, we booked an Ocean View.

2nd & 3rd cruises, we booked Promenades...loved them.

For our upcoming 4th cruise, I originally booked a Promenade but when we had to move our vacation date, the rates were too good to pass up on a E1 balcony cabin. Our very first balcony and it's a center hump cabin to boot. LOL. Best of all, prices took a drop last week and we got $96 credited off the total cruise cost. $709/pp for a E1...a steal of a deal! :D

Now if only I'd quit looking at the available JS's. :rolleyes:

What was the rationale for selecting a junior suite on RC 'Freedom of the Seas' in the fall of 2006?

It took me 30 years to convince my DH that taking a cruise, was going to be a GREAT adventure that we would love and treasure. Just the two of us, we would sail away, on a beautiful ship to exotic destinations and have the time of our lives. So, in an unguarded moment, on a whim, we booked a crusie at the last minute.

This didn't give us much choice of rooms. We ended up with a room located high and very far starboard on the ship, next to the elevators. The very location you are told to avoid, if you feel that you will not be able to abide the gentle rocking of a boat.

Long story short, we had a GREAT time. We LOVED being near the elevators because it was extra convenient.) We are going again this spring. We booked 5 months, in advance, this time. Plenty of rooms to choose from. And, with all this advanced planning, did we select a cabin that is LOW and more CENTERED on the ship???

O -- my goodness noooooooooooo!!! For, we have tasted total luxury (the junior suite, high on the ship with a spectacular view!!!) -- and we are glamour hogs so, we will be stationed as high and forward as possible!!! (But, who cares? I'm a veteran of exactly 1 cruise and I now know to put on a scapolamine patch before we set sail!!! I'll be fine!)

What's my advise?

1. Save your pennies and get a room with a balcony -- any size, if you can afford to. It is such a kick, smelling, seeing and listening to the sea in the early morning or late at night, while sipping a coffee or an aperatif in the seclusion of your own private perch. Watch the sun rise, or set, from your balcony. It is an experience that cannot be duplicated at home, unless you own a boat and sail regularly on large bodies of water.

2. Don't worry about the position or location of the cabin, on such large ships. It doesn't really matter. I was sick every where I walked, sat, laid down on the ship -- until I was properly medicated. Just make sure you request a prescription from your family doctor, prior to your trip. Scapolamine patch. Or, whatever he/she likes to prescribe. Once on the ship, if you don't need it, you can skip the drugs. (By the way, after day#3, I didn't need any meds, I got used to the ship movement.)

Bon Voyage!!! Be assured, there really isn't any 'bad' room on these ships. You will have the time of your life, no matter where you rest you head.

We booked our cabin because we wanted to be close to our friends who had already booked. Believe it or not, I didn't even notice it was a balcony cabin until last week. Yeah, I know, my husband doesn't believe me either, but it's the truth.

Alway choose a balcony b/c we like to sleep with the door open listening to the waves. Have had regular balcony, extended balcony and this time (Liberty 9/07) we have an aft balcony. Hope we don't get spoiled with this one.

Archived