Suspicious Mini-bar charges

Maybe they are feeling the pinch now the bottles have gone and think a small mystery charge will not be queried or they think people cannot be bothered to ring for a small amount.

That was the scam in the first place, especially when they still stocked the mini bar. We had many "mysterious" charges that were explained as mini bar charges, always showed up well after we left the ship...even though they checked the mini bar daily and we never...ever used it. Many pax either didn't notice the small charge or didn't care and did not want to both with it, etc. I always bothered, though frustratingly time consuming..it was the principal of the matter. :mad:

Happy to hear they have finally taken out the last of the culprits..those last two bottles. :)

On the August Brilliance Medit. cruise, we found 4 bottles of Evian in our room. We asked our cabin steward if they were D+ gift. He confirmed that they were. My wife drank one of the bottles and the other 3 ,, along with the 2 diet cokes were placed on the shelf above the TV.

Lo & behold, in reviewing our charges on the I/A tv and noticed a charge of $5.98 from the mini bar. Our mini bar was empty of any products except to keep my wife's diabetes supply.

Went to GS and challenged the charge as there was no explanation other than the charge. The individual told me that she needs to investigate. Bottom line, item was removed, but I was never explained what the charge represent.

I always check each day my charges as I do not want any undue charge festering towards the latter part of the cruise.

On the August Brilliance Medit. cruise, we found 4 bottles of Evian in our room. We asked our cabin steward if they were D+ gift. He confirmed that they were. My wife drank one of the bottles and the other 3 ,, along with the 2 diet cokes were placed on the shelf above the TV.

Lo & behold, in reviewing our charges on the I/A tv and noticed a charge of $5.98 from the mini bar. Our mini bar was empty of any products except to keep my wife's diabetes supply.

Went to GS and challenged the charge as there was no explanation other than the charge. The individual told me that she needs to investigate. Bottom line, item was removed, but I was never explained what the charge represent.

I always check each day my charges as I do not want any undue charge festering towards the latter part of the cruise.

Very good advice.

It pays to check your on board account daily and also keep your receipts.

If you query any incorrect charges they will often remove them but you wonder how many of these charges go unchallenged or undetected my passengers.

I agree that they will take it off, but I strongly disagree that this sort of thing happens everywhere. We have stayed in many hotels with mini-bars, and have never been charged incorrectly. And the fact that this is so prevalent on Royal indicates that there is a problem.

I have had a number of times in hotels.

I tell them I did not consume the items, and the charge is removed.

With RCI, I would not assume a conspiracy, but a crappy IT system.

I have had a number of times in hotels.

I tell them I did not consume the items, and the charge is removed.

With RCI, I would not assume a conspiracy, but a crappy IT system.

Quite possible but an IT system that never works in the passengers favour.

Quite possible but an IT system that never works in the passengers favour.

Are you sure of that? Or maybe people don't want to tell about NOT getting charged for mini bar use. :)

I had that happen one time in a hotel. I had a gin out of the mini bar (purely medicinal), and just flat forgot by the time I checked out. They did not catch it during the stay or later. I remembered about a month later.

Are you sure of that? Or maybe people don't want to tell about NOT getting charged for mini bar use. :)

I had that happen one time in a hotel. I had a gin out of the mini bar (purely medicinal), and just flat forgot by the time I checked out. They did not catch it during the stay or later. I remembered about a month later.

I was referring to RC,IT where we have been overcharged several times but never undercharged.

I also check my charges every day on the in cabin TV...and dislike the older ships with no

set up that have no way to check. In those cases I just ask for my balance a couple time during the cruise at the GS.

My real problem is the mysterious charges that appear on my credit card well AFTER we have left the ship that do not match our final sea pass bill.

:mad:

I also check my charges every day on the in cabin TV...and dislike the older ships with no

set up that have no way to check. In those cases I just ask for my balance a couple time during the cruise at the GS.

My real problem is the mysterious charges that appear on my credit card well AFTER we have left the ship that do not match our final sea pass bill.

:mad:

Being charged after final invoice has happened to us on several occasions on RC and P&O and most time's because it was a premium call rate to ring from the UK i didn't bother so i hope with the water gone out of cabins now it is history.

Being charged after final invoice has happened to us on several occasions on RC and P&O and most time's because it was a premium call rate to ring from the UK i didn't bother so i hope with the water gone out of cabins now it is history.

That is what I am hoping also. Have entered my credit card again for sea pass account for next three cruises, expecting the missing mini bar and finally the now missing water bottles to be the end of it? :confused: Maybe..:o

On my last cruise (on Anthem) the mini bar was completely empty. This seems like a good solution to the problem as given the number of folks that brag about sharing a drink package etc, who knows how many are actually taking items from the mini bar and then disputing the charges. Smartest thing for all involved is just no more mini bar.

On my last cruise (on Anthem) the mini bar was completely empty. This seems like a good solution to the problem as given the number of folks that brag about sharing a drink package etc, who knows how many are actually taking items from the mini bar and then disputing the charges. Smartest thing for all involved is just no more mini bar.

Totally agree with that one!! I am guessing the bulk of us were simply annoyed at the room that the mini bar "fresh stuff :')" took up in our cabin. Not to mention angry at the nefarious charges that happened way too often.:mad:

It's not like you can't order things to stock it, should you want to. IMHO it was a great move to eliminate the waste and the hassle. :) RCI finally did something right!! :cool:

Totally agree with that one!! I am guessing the bulk of us were simply annoyed at the room that the mini bar "fresh stuff :')" took up in our cabin. Not to mention angry at the nefarious charges that happened way too often.:mad:

It's not like you can't order things to stock it, should you want to. IMHO it was a great move to eliminate the waste and the hassle. :) RCI finally did something right!! :cool:

I totally agree.

Mine was empty on the past Navigator cruise and I still got charged $5.98. Remember, they still have Evian water by the table and this is where the confusion occurred.

Mine was empty on the past Navigator cruise and I still got charged $5.98. Remember, they still have Evian water by the table and this is where the confusion occurred.

So not all ships are taking out the bottles of water from the cabin as the last of the mini bar hold outs?

Or is it just suites...though those should be complimentary I should think? :confused:

All in all....just a shame to have to deal with these bogus charges. :mad:

So not all ships are taking out the bottles of water from the cabin as the last of the mini bar hold outs?

Or is it just suites...though those should be complimentary I should think? :confused:

All in all....just a shame to have to deal with these bogus charges. :mad:

The only suites where water would be complimentary would be the Star class suite on Oasis class and Anthem. (Not sure if Quantum and Ovation are doing the same perks)

The only suites where water would be complimentary would be the Star class suite on Oasis class and Anthem. (Not sure if Quantum and Ovation are doing the same perks)

Hmmm..wonder why they still had those Evian bottles in the cabin? :confused:

Odd.

...With RCI, I would not assume a conspiracy, but a crappy IT system.
Months ago I might have agreed with you, but many, many, many charges later (including to me), I consider this outright theft. When decades ago groceries went to bar scanning and eliminated price tags on individual items, many stores softened the fear of overcharging by giving you the item free if you brought the overcharge to their attention. RCI has overcharged many thousands of people, a small percentage of whom have caught the mistake and gone to the trouble of getting it reversed, often with the insult of being told that "the charge was being reversed as courtesy". RCI is stealing all the money they can, and insults you you if you find the overcharge and provides ZERO compensation for your trouble. I emphatically reject the idea that this is just a crappy IT system (even though their IT system is crappy).

Thom