Jeans in the main dining room

Rickygump

I am from Texas and jeans are not always considered "casual" dress. If you wear a nice pair of pressed jeans with boots, belt and dress shirt, you are pretty gussied up. In my opinion, lookin' much better than a monkey in a suit. (just trying to be funny, no offense intended)

My experience is when the ship leaves port and travels for about a minute, we are transported to a place that is no longer 1977 to a place where people wear nice jeans to pretty much any price range dining venue (except perhaps the ultra, ultra downtown chic hotspots) without hesitation.

The main dining room was once an upscale fine dining experience.

Sadly, due to today's customer base and apparent cultural norms, dress has become similar to that worn at a neighborhood bar and restaurant. Think Red Lobster, Applebee's, Olive Garden, etc.

It is what it is. Jeans are apparently welcome these days.

However, I will continue to dress nice for dinner as that is how I was raised. Apparently due to my parents brainwashing, I would feel uncomfortable wearing anything else. Thanks Mom & Dad!

My husband and I also dress for dinner in the MDR. I realize that not everyone does these days, but we enjoy dressing up when we go to dinner. It's about the only chance I have to wear my formal dresses. Most nights my husband wears a dress shirt and tie. On formal nights he wears a tuxedo. And yes, that's the way I was raised also.

It is a cultural thing, think the TX post above. Not everyone was raised in a city, home, or social status that required that they have formal clothes. As a retired professional, I never had a tux on and never need one for my life style, social or work environment.

Having said that we have not problem with most denim except for bib overhauls LOL.

We, on most trips/cruses, never take JEANS, they are heavy and luggage volume hogs. We have purchased travel clothes the look nice on ANY night and if necessary can be washed out in the sink and come out looking like NEW. Well my wife, on Caribbean cruises, has to look good better than usual on most nights, her only chance to wear nicer cloths, here in Florida casual is KING

I also dress up some for dinner. My husband wears nice khakis or dark pants and a dress shirt. Neither of us wears tennis shoes to dinner, but we wear them other times. I enjoy not wearing what I wear at home most of the time for dinner.

We go to nearby restaurants at home in jeans in the winter and in capris and shorts in the summer. None of the restaurants are as nice as the main dining room.

I have a live and let live attitude on vacation and what people choose to wear does not impact me one way or the other.

I always wonder why people ask this question so often on this site. Although, I know I did not have to read it or reply.

My husband and I also dress for dinner in the MDR. I realize that not everyone does these days, but we enjoy dressing up when we go to dinner. It's about the only chance I have to wear my formal dresses. Most nights my husband wears a dress shirt and tie. On formal nights he wears a tuxedo. And yes, that's the way I was raised also.

everyone here is from a different part of the world/culture etc. so i'm fascinated by some responses.

since you say this is the way you were raised can you tell me exactly when you/he dressed so formally growing up and also during your current time in life? do you mean certain restaurants/every restaurant you go to dinner etc?

everyone here is from a different part of the world/culture etc. so i'm fascinated by some responses. since you say this is the way you were raised can you tell me exactly when you/he dressed so formally growing up and also during your current time in life? do you mean certain restaurants/every restaurant you go to dinner etc?

Some people were raised to wear tuxes twice a week. Unfortunately for me, they don't have tuxes out on the ranch. So that isn't the "way I was raised".

We went on a cruise in June with our 3 "young adult" children. I let them know that I like to dress for dinner on a cruise, and they were happy to join in. The 24 year old daughter was like me and had a nice dress or outfit to wear every evening; the 22 year old college senior brought his slim cut suit and enjoyed wearing it most evenings, not just on formal nights; the 18 year old that had just graduated college couldn't find his suit (it was in dad's closet) but brought dress slacks and several button down shirts and ties and rotated them for dinner.

I agree it is a cultural thing; my husband is first generation US born and his parents did raise him to wear your best when going out for the evening. I was raised in a large blue collar family and we always dressed up when going out to eat or to an evening event. My husband and I raised our kids that way; the boys knew to put on a collared shirt if we going out to eat or they would hold up the rest of the family when I sent them back in the house to change. Now I don't miss the need for evening gowns and tuxedos in the main dining room, but I think they should enforce the very lax dress code that they do have.

I work in the medical field, and we used to have "casual Fridays." We don't any longer because too many coworkers confused "casual Fridays" with "wear what you would wear to clean the garage." Now it's just scrubs or business attire, which is management's choice since they are paying us. What happens on the cruise lines is no different, but since we pay them, they don't enforce it for fear of losing the customer to another cruise line.

Some people were raised to wear tuxes twice a week. Unfortunately for me, they don't have tuxes out on the ranch. So that isn't the "way I was raised".

do you mean they wear them at home? to applebees? pizza hut? or do they only go to fancy places where you need one. i guess i dont live in that kind of area. there are no places near me that you would feel comfy in a tux. you'd really look silly.