Dressing 4 dinner

The word "smart" should never be used as it is totally subjective.

Yes, I think this is the problem. Everybody knows what "black tie" means and almost everybody would know that "formal wear" means jacket and tie. Once we get into the realms of "smart" and "casual" wear then danger is ahoy as these are totally open to interpretation. Quite what "dress to impress" means, I don't know. I like to think the ladies are impressed by my open-to-waist Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts but you never know...!

Yes, I think this is the problem. Everybody knows what "black tie" means and almost everybody would know that "formal wear" means jacket and tie. Once we get into the realms of "smart" and "casual" wear then danger is ahoy as these are totally open to interpretation. Quite what "dress to impress" means, I don't know. I like to think the ladies are impressed by my open-to-waist Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts but you never know...!

What? No gold medallion:):cool:

Do you not take your lime green Borat mankini? I was thinking of taking mine [emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1]

Sent from my SGP611 using Forums mobile app

The problem is some people don't seem to know the difference between " Smart casual " and " Casual "

" Smart casual "........ if you want to eat in the MDR every night, except formal night when you " Dress to Impress "

" Casual " if you prefer to eat in the Lido.

Amazes me that some people still turn up at mosques and churches in shorts and strappy tops or t shirts while on holiday and wonder why they are denied entry.

Would they go to church at home dressed like that ?

Next thing we will be having " smart " jogging trousers and shell suits.

The problem is some people don't seem to know the difference between " Smart casual " and " Casual "

" Smart casual "........ if you want to eat in the MDR every night, except formal night when you " Dress to Impress "

" Casual " if you prefer to eat in the Lido.

Amazes me that some people still turn up at mosques and churches in shorts and strappy tops or t shirts while on holiday and wonder why they are denied entry.

Would they go to church at home dressed like that ?

Next thing we will be having " smart " jogging trousers and shell suits.

Sorry, rather lost the plot there, jogging bottoms and shell suits would be acceptable in a church or mosque as they both cover shoulders and legs. The problem is all this formal, smart casual, casual is subjective, somewhat reflected by generation. If you have dress code it should be 100% clear, no denim of any colour, no Polo shirts if that's what a line want to call smart casual. So either have a very prescriptive code,which I would adhere to if I booked with whatever company, or just don't bother.

I prefer commonsense to 'prescriptive code'.

What is wrong with a short (or long) sleeved shirts, trousers and shoes for men as smart casual?

We totally agree. My partner will be dressed like that on our next two cruises

Incidentally we take rucksacks with us as hand luggage, not those large cases that you see the flight attendants struggling to put in the overhead racks. Perhaps cruise hand luggage weight should be reduced from 7kg.

We saw one case on our last trip that the crew could not get into the locker. They took it somewhere I know not where, but it is about time Thomson got a grip on these as Easyjet do. That would make people think a bit more about what they should pack and wear.

Edited by dorothy09

Incidentally we take rucksacks with us as hand luggage, not those large cases that you see the flight attendants struggling to put in the overhead racks. Perhaps cruise hand luggage weight should be reduced from 7kg.

We saw one case on our last trip that the crew could not get into the locker. They took it somewhere I know not where, but it is about time Thomson got a grip on these as Easyjet do. That would make people think a bit more about what they should pack and wear.

If it won't go in my big case in the hold, chances are it won't make the trip! My hand luggage is for a book, a pashmina, money, passport, newspaper etc. Having said that, we did do 3 weeks round southern Spain by train just with hand luggage!

We are happy with the 7kg allowance as we always pack a change of summer clothes for when we arrive quick shower and into holiday mode particularly in the Caribbean and we have seen cases go missing! Have also noticed the new regs for Dubai airport hold luggage must have a flat side not round or it will have to be repacked to prevent jamming the system, this will probably be taken up at other airports.

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Perhaps cruise hand luggage weight should be reduced from 7kg
On the contrary, I wish Thomsons (and Thomas Cook) would raise the cabin baggage allowance to 10kg, just like Jet2.

Last time I was on Easyjet there was no weight restrictions on cabin luggage - as long as it was within their clearly stated maximum dimensions, and the passenger was able to lift it into the overhead containers then it was good to go.

Not sure if that's still the case (no pun intended) now.

As for dress - unfortunately some punters interpret "casual" for what I would consider "scruff order" in sartorial style.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
punctuation

Thomson hold baggage allowance used to be 23 kg. When they reduced it to 20 kg. People started to make more use of the hand luggage allowance which is 7 kg. for a cruise. The maximum dimensions for hand luggage is 55 x 40 x 20 cms. so it perfectly acceptable for passengers to take a wheeled trolley case as hand luggage as long as it doesn't exceed the size and weight limit.

We make the most of our baggage allowances as we like to dress casually during the day and change in to something smart for dinner in the evenings.

Sorry, rather lost the plot there, jogging bottoms and shell suits would be acceptable in a church or mosque as they both cover shoulders and legs. The problem is all this formal, smart casual, casual is subjective, somewhat reflected by generation. If you have dress code it should be 100% clear, no denim of any colour, no Polo shirts if that's what a line want to call smart casual. So either have a very prescriptive code,which I would adhere to if I booked with whatever company, or just don't bother.

The sentence about " Smart " jogging bottoms and shell suits was a general comment.

Nothing to do with visiting churches and mosques where I mentioned people turning up in shorts and strappy tops.

People are given advice about dress code for visiting these places but some people just choose to ignore it. Just as they choose to ignore the information given by Thomson regarding the dress code in the MDR.

On the contrary, I wish Thomsons (and Thomas Cook) would raise the cabin baggage allowance to 10kg, just like Jet2.

Last time I was on Easyjet there was no weight restrictions on cabin luggage - as long as it was within their clearly stated maximum dimensions, and the passenger was able to lift it into the overhead containers then it was good to go.

Not sure if that's still the case (no pun intended) now.

As for dress - unfortunately some punters interpret "casual" for what I would consider "scruff order" in sartorial style.

Totally agree !!

The case to which I referred would not fit into the overhead locker. Presumably a case of the dimensions that Thomsons stipulate would fit easily even though the lockers

on the 767 are surprisingly small. The woman in question wanted everyone to know that it would never happen on British Airways with whom she normally travels. Enough said!

We'll stick with our rucksacks even though they are squeezed in on top of the cases, and even so we won't look 'scruffs'!

Weight and size are two different issues, lessening the former will not necessarily reduce the latter.

If the offending case was too large for the overhead locker it (presumably) breached Thomsons dimensions and should not have been permitted inside the aircraft.

Ryanair and Easyjet etc. have measuring cages for cabin luggage, however I don't think Thomsons employ such a simple to use device.

Maybe if they did, and enforced their rules, the problem of oversize cabin baggage would be resolved.

I doubt if individual tastes in dress has any correlation to what size or type of luggage people take on a cruise.

Just my opinion, others may (and will) differ.

I agree WCM

Size is more important than weight, and the size limits on Thomson flights are 22 ins x16ins x 9 ins which is quite reasonable..

If we all kept to that there would be no problems with overhead locker storage.

That capacity will easily facilitate a change of clothes plus all other required travelling paraphernalia.

Weight and size are two different issues, lessening the former will not necessarily reduce the latter.

If the offending case was too large for the overhead locker it (presumably) breached Thomsons dimensions and should not have been permitted inside the aircraft.

Ryanair and Easyjet etc. have measuring cages for cabin luggage, however I don't think Thomsons employ such a simple to use device.

Maybe if they did, and enforced their rules, the problem of oversize cabin baggage would be resolved.

I doubt if individual tastes in dress has any correlation to what size or type of luggage people take on a cruise.

Just my opinion, others may (and will) differ.

No doubt that it breached the rules but the point is Thomson never measure hand luggage nor weigh it

Not so at Malaga where the authorities can be extremely strict, Western Mediterranean cruisers take note.

But what exactly is the definition of hand luggage? Is it luggage needed at hand during the flight? Not these days, it's treated as just an extention of the hold luggage.

Fortunately a fair proportion of passengers do not see it that way otherwise it could be chaos.