Shore excursions- age restrictions?

nloo22

i was wondering how strict they are about the age minimum for shore excursions? My sons 5 and we want to book an excursion that has a minimum age requirement of 10. We noticed if we book the local tours not through the cruise line they don't have strict age restrictions. I normally don't book through the cruise since it's more expensive but it so happens this one is cheaper through the cruise. The online site allows me to book. Don't know if they will stop us from going on the tour or cancel on us last minute though. Any thoughts or past experiences?

i was wondering how strict they are about the age minimum for shore excursions? My sons 5 and we want to book an excursion that has a minimum age requirement of 10. We noticed if we book the local tours not through the cruise line they don't have strict age restrictions. I normally don't book through the cruise since it's more expensive but it so happens this one is cheaper through the cruise. The online site allows me to book. Don't know if they will stop us from going on the tour or cancel on us last minute though. Any thoughts or past experiences?

We cannot think of a polite or proper response to your post. And tonight, we are feeling like being politically correct. But here are some questions for you. Why do you think you are entitled to an exception to the rules? Let us assume that some passengers book that tour with the understanding that there will be no young children (under 10) on the bus. When they see you and your children boarding the bus....are they entitled to a full refund because they feel cheated! Or how about the insurance company who insures the tour....and has a 10 year minimum in their policy. If there is an accident should they refuse to pay any compensation? How about other passengers with 8 year olds who follow the rules....and later feel cheated when they find somebody booked the tour with a 5 year old. Are they entitled to a $1000 on board credit? etc etc.

Hank

They should stop you from taking a 5yr old on a HAL shore excursion when the minimum age is 10.. If I was on your excusrion & could not bring my child because of his age, why should you be permitted to do so?:(

IMO Hank is right.. There is a reason for age restrictions.. It could very well be an insurance matter.. Suggest you get a baby sitter for your child or don't go on HAL excursions which have a minimum age of 10..

They should stop you from taking a 5yr old on a HAL shore excursion when the minimum age is 10.. If I was on your excusrion & could not bring my child because of his age, why should you be permitted to do so?:(

IMO Hank is right.. There is a reason for age restrictions.. It could very well be an insurance matter.. Suggest you get a baby sitter for your child or don't go on HAL excursions which have a minimum age of 10..

Cue poster's excuses - but, but, but my child is better behaved than most 10 year olds! Not when you're not looking...and 5 year olds get bored FAST. Just because Mom and Dad want to do something does not mean it is age appropriate for Junior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have options: 1) DO NOT take your children, who are well below the minimum age, and get a babysitter if you take the HAL tour - come on - use a little common sense here, 2) take a different tour with no age restrictions, 3) book the private tour with no age restrictions.

OP, please provide details about the excursion and the port of call. Then someone here might be able to provide info about why there is such a restriction. Alternatively, contact the tour operator and ask. I'm sure there is a valid reason why HAL has the restriction; they wouldn't do it if there weren't safety concerns.

Some HAL excursions have age restrictions and some have weight restrictions. Depends upon the tour.

Basically, the rules are there for a reason and to be followed.

If you want to bend the rules (ok, break) suggest you email shore excursions and ask the question and get it in WRITING if they will permit it.

If you have ever been to Disney World you will see that there are often height restrictions on certain rides, for safety... This could be the reason also.

I also wonder what excursion this might be as it could make a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP as a mum of cruising children I think you will find that only the adults in your party will be permitted to book the excursion. Since the childrens' ages are recorded during booking and show up as adult/child in the excursion booking page you probably won't be allowed to select the excursion for the 5 year old even if their name appears on the page. You have to select the members of your cabin who are going on that excursion.

As you can see by some of the replies above there are many members of CC that wished children banned from HAL altogether so please don't give them any more reason to be outraged. If for some reason you do manage to book the excursion for the 5 year old be prepared for a scene st the bus and people refusing to go and HAL having to embarrass you and leave you behind since you broke the rules.

Club Hal will have a program running on port days if you really want to go. I have never left my children onboard while DH and I both went on excursion so I cannot comment.

If you expect the rules to be followed by everyone else then you must follow them yourselves. Otherwise 16 year olds will be served alcohol and gambling while 6 year olds run and jump in the Sea View pool.

After reading all the posts, I am shocked at the responses. I didn't realize that HAL cruisers were so anti children. Just to clarify, my original posts had a typo. The age restriction is 6 not 10. So my son would be missing it by a year. Other private tour companies doing the same tour, probably the same one that the cruise books through has NO age restrictions. Thank you to those that responded with worry about the restrictions being there for my sons safety. With that said, I will be booking with a private non cruise sponsored tour company so my family would not have to be on the same tour as some of the children haters on HAL cruises. I am just shocked! This is our first time on HAL and maybe the last if the response to traveling with our children is the same on the boat as on this forum. We may have to stick with cruiselines that welcome children.

After reading all the posts, I am shocked at the responses. I didn't realize that HAL cruisers were so anti children. Just to clarify, my original posts had a typo. The age restriction is 6 not 10. So my son would be missing it by a year. Other private tour companies doing the same tour, probably the same one that the cruise books through has NO age restrictions. Thank you to those that responded with worry about the restrictions being there for my sons safety. With that said, I will be booking with a private non cruise sponsored tour company so my family would not have to be on the same tour as some of the children haters on HAL cruises. I am just shocked! This is our first time on HAL and maybe the last if the response to traveling with our children is the same on the boat as on this forum. We may have to stick with cruiselines that welcome children.

Don't worry about the replies. Most HAL cruisers do not dislike children ;). I think the main problem was your typo. Taking a child that is 5 when the age restriction is 10 is a huge difference (at least, to me) than age restriction of 6 ;)

We have traveled with our two children on many cruises since they were 7 and 10. In my opinion Club Hal is the best kept secret afloat and my two, now just shy of 13 and 16, still absolutely love cruising HAL.

You will encounter SOME passengers who do not want children onboard but even more will smile and thank you for bringing them as they will remind them of their own. Don't be shocked by rudeness as it provides a good lesson for your children on how not to act in future and how respect is earned and not a given.

We have made wonderful family memories on HAL ships and don't let anyone take that from you. Dinner is our family time and enjoyed immensely. Gala night provides the opportunity to get a family picture as a momento of the trip. After lunch swimming in the lido pool with a few pool toys Ibring can and has turned into a whole pool game and much laughter and people thanking us for making them feel young again.

It is your vacation and it will be what you make of it. Some on this board like to think that HAL is no place for children and our family knows that just is not true. The crew loves to see and interact with children.

Sorry you got off to such a bad start, but your typo "mistake" did contribute to much of the reaction. No one was "anti-children". Far more following the rules.

Take a deep breath and another look at what just unfolded. We just got banned from some HAL excursions by being too old - over age 70 for some snorkeling trips in the Caribbean. Agree, this is probably an insurance requirement up front. And that is just the way it is. Much like it getting harder to rent cars abroad too, due to age restrictions. Both too young and now too old, too.

BTW, we did just what you did - we made private arrangements on our own in those ports that had the snorkel age restrictions. Please don't read into this more than what was actually expressed. We like HAL shore excursions a lot because those who choose them do play by the rules, show up on time, don't complain individually, and show good manners and courtesies to each other.

After reading all the posts, I am shocked at the responses. I didn't realize that HAL cruisers were so anti children.

Nloo, HAL cruisers don't hate children; they just hate YOUR children. ;)

(And before anyone gets up in arms, it's a JOKE.)

HAL cruisers are not anti-children, just that in your original post, you said the minimum age was 10 whereas your child is 5 - THAT is what most of us were concerned with and can be (mis)understood as a blatant disregard for the rules.

Now that you say the minimum age is 6, that still won't allow your child to go on the excursion - all you have to do is simply book with the independent operator who does not have a minimum age restriction......

:)Unfortunately your typo caused many (most?) of the responses you found troubling. I too thought - 5 years under the cut-off, what it that parent thinking? NOW, my problem is that you thought of the answers as generally by child haters. In my case - nothing could be further from the truth!

I love children, what I do not like is parents who let their child's inappropriate behavior for the situation continue, to the detriment of others present. (Such as the parents who allow their young children run "wild" in the Lido, running into folks carrying their food to a tables, etc.) It is the behaviors that some parents allow that I object to, NOT the children. Kids are kids, parents should be responsible parents. BUT, too frequently I see parents who ignore their children's behaviors and then blame others as child haters. WAY to easy to deflect the blame of their neglect on others.

Two cruise ship experiences clearly show this. (1) I was in the piano bar about 10:30 pm when two younger women entered with two children - 4-6ish in age. The kids were fussy, but overall fine. However, the two mothers were in the midst of the piano bar seating area carrying on a very loud conversation next to me, while the piano player was playing. I turned to the women and said - if you need to talk, could you please go somewhere else, we all are here to hear the entertainer. She looked at me and then her child and said in a loud, nasty voice "See, I told you people on the ship hate children". What ? The kids were really fine - it was the adults but she automatically abandoned any responsibility for her behavior.

(2) On a long cruise (like 70ish days) there were only two young passengers - about 8-10 yrs. The one was an absolute delight, very considerate of others, pleasant to talk with, etc while obviously having fun (physical and intellectual) and enjoying the cruise. Twenty of him would have been fine. The other one was a different story! He could be very nice, but most of the time his behavior could be summed-up as inappropriate and even horrible at times. He had NO consideration of others - be it in food lines, getting on/off the ship, on tours, etc. He was rude, used what was then very inappropriate language toward others, even nasty at times. The parents verbal behavior was not any better so one could easily see where his behavior came from. (They at least knew not to crash into others.) One like him was one two many.

Honestly, I don't think the "hate" you've felt has anything to do with your child... it doesn't matter if your child is 5, 10, or 15.

I would think it had to do with the fact that you thought perhaps you could dodge the rules... ANY rules.

Most of us ( myself included) respect and honor the cruise line rules, even if we don't agree with them. The way I look at it is that cruising is a privilege, not a right. Their cruise lines, their rules. If I don't like it then I either suck it up or do not go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think as much child haters as rule followers.

I'm glad you got it booked independently. You may still be on the same trip as those from the ship but then no problems are yours; you did as required and if someone has a fit they can take it up with HAL. The operators will protect you.

For the record, less clear the air. Because some folks (including moi) are simply telling the OP to follow the age related rules.....does not mean we are "anti-children" or anti-children on HAL. It simply means that rules are meant to apply to everyone. If a tour prohibits folks over 250 pounds....would we be "anti-obese" if we suggested that a 300 pounder not book a tour :). Or if somebody wanted to tour gas wells....would we be anti-smoking if we suggested that its not a good idea to light a cigarette in a no smoking area next to a gas well! Get real folks.

Hank

Child Haters? :confused:..I'm shocked at your response..There is not one person on this thread who said they do not like children!! HAL always welcomes children & we have never come across an adult on HAL who would object to well behaved children on cruises..

I love kids..My dog & I work with the children's reading program in our local school..

However, I do object to parents who teach their children that it's OK to cheat & ignore rules..:(

You glossed over the fact that you made a very big error in stating your childs age.. Why not admit that you are the one who caused the problem in the first place, instead of chastising those of us who were outraged by the question..:rolleyes:

I do not care if your child misses by 5 years, 1 year or 1 month. If it says that the child should be 6 and the child is not 6, they should not be on the excursion. Rules are rules, not sort of rules.

DON