Just Booked Magnifica August 2018

MrsDusty

Hi all. My first post so please be gentle.

Today I booked the Northern Europe Cruise for hubby and I with our kids

Have seen mixed reviews but am open minded and looking forward to it.

Have previously cruised with Royal Caribbean, thoroughly enjoyed it and their Pina Colados were to die for.

What are the best cocktails on board Magnifica? 😀

• 5 months later...
Hi all. My first post so please be gentle.

Today I booked the Northern Europe Cruise for hubby and I with our kids

Have seen mixed reviews but am open minded and looking forward to it.

Have previously cruised with Royal Caribbean, thoroughly enjoyed it and their Pina Colados were to die for.

What are the best cocktails on board Magnifica?

We're booked on Magnifica for a month later. We've sailed on 5 MSC cruises and, in my opinion, the cocktails are mostly sweet rubbish. A couple of exceptions are 'Sex on the Beach' and Mojitos (Mango Mojito was very nice). They premix the fruit base and add alcohol. Hit and miss!

You will notice a difference from Royal. Food offerings on MSC tend to be petite and pretty but there's always the buffet if you're still hungry. Great value cruises though. Enjoy and don't trash the ship! Ken

PS: They're supposedly making the Magnifica more 'UK friendly' next summer so perhaps 'roast beef dinners' and John Smith beer will appeal?

We're booked on Magnifica for a month later. We've sailed on 5 MSC cruises and, in my opinion, the cocktails are mostly sweet rubbish. A couple of exceptions are 'Sex on the Beach' and Mojitos (Mango Mojito was very nice). They premix the fruit base and add alcohol. Hit and miss!

You will notice a difference from Royal. Food offerings on MSC tend to be petite and pretty but there's always the buffet if you're still hungry. Great value cruises though. Enjoy and don't trash the ship! Ken

PS: They're supposedly making the Magnifica more 'UK friendly' next summer so perhaps 'roast beef dinners' and John Smith beer will appeal?

Here's an article describing the 'Anglicisation' of the ship:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/shipping/15226860.PHOTOS__New_2_500_person_cruise_ship_to_make_Southampton_its_home/

Bytheway, I agree with you, Ken, about the cocktails! I've tried a few, MrsDusty, and none stood out - including the mixology ones which are only included in the deluxe (premium) drinks package.

some of my favourites are on the premium list, which if your package is the standard all in you can pay for seperately :)

Black forest martini - grey goose, creme de cacao, sour cherry syrup + cream

Oriental martini - grey goose, absolut oriental apple, galliano, lychee liquer + splash apple juice

Both of these are 6,95

Yes the food portions are small, but don't be put off ordering 2 appetizers or 2 main courses... Up until recently the menu was 6/7 courses; even with the change we still have multiple courses :)

• 1 month later...
some of my favourites are on the premium list, which if your package is the standard all in you can pay for seperately :)

Black forest martini - grey goose, creme de cacao, sour cherry syrup + cream

Oriental martini - grey goose, absolut oriental apple, galliano, lychee liquer + splash apple juice

I'm going to give these 2 a try next time we've the Deluxe package, Tim (which may not be 'til next March if MSC don't drop their ridiculous policy of insisting that we pay the old price in December instead of the new rate on 9+ night cruises! clear.png?emoji-mad-1709 ) - I don't remember coming across them before. Were they on the Mixology menu?

We came back from the Magnifica a few weeks ago. I was also a bit worried about the reviews and had also only ever sailed with Royal Caribbean (albeit 10 years ago and before children). We loved it and so did the kids, and would book again tomorrow if it wasn't so difficult to get one of the family suites for 5.

Cocktail wise, I thought the Mojitos, Margaritas and Long Island Iced teas were great, and stronger than I expected. I love a Bellinis, but was served about 4 different versions and only one of those was good!

I'm going to give these 2 a try next time we've the Deluxe package, Tim (which may not be 'til next March if MSC don't drop their ridiculous policy of insisting that we pay the old price in December instead of the new rate on 9+ night cruises! clear.png?emoji-mad-1709 ) - I don't remember coming across them before. Were they on the Mixology menu?

Yes they were on the mixology menu, in the Transatlantico bar on Fantasia, La Prua on Splendida - they changed the menu for the last part of our back to back in April :)