Aft Vista Suite

Lefty42

Hi everyone, I put a down payment on a 12day Los Angeles to Alaska cruise in Sept 2018 on the Golden Princess. My wife and I have been on 5 cruises all with princess. We have stayed in inside cabin for all except in a balcony, on a 4day cruise. So this time I decided to splurge a bit and booked a Aft Vista suite D737. After reading some other people's experience on an Alaskan cruise some said you get a better view on side balconies of the glaciers. So now it has me second guessing if I choose the right room for this cruise. Any input would be great. Thank you all in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You will love the aft Vista suite. In fact you will love it so much you may never cruise in any other type of room again. Don't forget to use the laundry service and order room service items from the MDR.

One could argue a side balcony would mean you are sitting facing the shore would be a better view. However, the aft suite will give you a 180 degree view that includes both shorelines as you go through the passages.

If it were me I would keep the aft Vista. Having breakfast on the balcony while moving through the passages would be something to remember.

We went to Alaska in 2013 on the Diamond. We went north in E730 and south in E733, both Vista Suites. We couldn't have been happier! We had wonderful views from our balconies, especially of the glaciers. We were able to see whales and dolphins/porpoises enjoying the wake of the ship. The scenery was just great. I think you will be very happy with your choice.!

D737 on the Grand was our first ever Suite on Princess - you will love it. On our Alaska cruise on the Coral we were in an aft corner Mini Suite, and it was an awesome view - I would love to do Alaska on the Grand and would definitely try to get one of the Aft Vistas.

Now I am totally excited. How is the motion of the ship? I been to Hawaii 3x from Los Angeles. Wife and I were fine. Does the ship rock more on the aft? Also am very excited about the perks too. Sabatini's for breakfast especially. Also is the balcony big enough for the balcony dinner dining? Sorry for all the questions. Just excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had the Owners Suite in June for the Alaskan cruise. I will always remember sailing away from the sunset, watching the pink hues fade away into the water on our oversized balcony, surrounded by mountains and silence. An emotional experience, 11pm at night with the sun setting...awesome! Also the 360 degree spin the captain did at the Glacier Bay, what a superb view on our aft balcony. The suite was large, service excellent, no rocky motion or noise. The balcony was triple length and double width, plenty of room for 2 deck chairs, 2 loungers and a large table for dinner and drinks! Breakfast is superb especially with the Mimosa start, you will get (assuming it is on board your ship) Club Class dining, mini bar set up, laundry, lounge access and much more.

Now I am totally excited. How is the motion of the ship? I been to Hawaii 3x from Los Angeles. Wife and I were fine. Does the ship rock more on the aft? Also am very excited about the perks too. Sabatini's for breakfast especially. Also is the balcony big enough for the balcony dinner dining? Sorry for all the questions. Just excited.

These are photos of the Balcony on Vista Suite D739 on the Sapphire. Your balcony should be similar.

YyygN5DNnzcOT9Uo1L2Bm95FGfGem6ybbo5x1tIJbqH4D0AB6zRRZw5xTT7Rq94wGD_KK0WxVi7YmD6Tq6SQNKxRXtnZmTSS7wbkaGhrgn7NkCIzkpJ4WJs-XnnXgSW3QivY9cLoJyNPlRkoYuCB21ybWhka0m1Gx2xNmEuQ6TkKkxHQPF2OaJ3mvE1t3pc6wpO1HZqV3cvYlLm6NFNv1J2U1kd-xRkVYGD-AgxQguz6AbTSiPri02IHyRXocZNFYhWRSg9bls_kZ8fdJf8GbJdgYsoanLRKHNrYi5Rc_djQ-MkUhal2_SEmh2deBjKLSVZ_-lmaIPWm-zet7-2h3JQ74_9FXft6VcbY1TOpUOqleeriJMFPBrwCuKJY3nfS83NL3sahJDhJVgg-sf5k3oPZeAkZrYOlMR1ZzMmiYcDLVGufaIy4SgfVYEFTZghcMOF35Ev0fzSf2aWbmz-cygQpzNI-C7l3TUEv26CAJk0WLsBp0cLNfBZ0VMYbAo4q2uqNM7WgWPh4JuYL2gDiaIIxP8USGRzNOihpaFP4mE2Uu1B-BEcO-Ah5Ce_spPxA9jKuRmypdw-A71SBqVlT4sAh-52-1IAsy_IhzjOj1dkjIW--2H9T=w1194-h895-no

HWuE5aPxps99Msx540otydym5yS0xzHHn7Q0bWWKFxJJUKnbWz3B8jf9ofTCNy0EXXB6Yhu_vIiGbJIBH-q5rJHuoC0Z5bL9aLzgfmPKX5Aeb0cOZ5M4WLzgumKTM_sCNqnbz7HDbi69c3v1cHUGYaqoO1taleE5s3GGtMw8MKAOL263wWpmDUuAuUJ_E2dxb-D6U88Dd9VfsS_L-RzBEkqQ2qpftAWxOXNcwkNHSP3aOW0tc67CNgxNmh0jJ7iNHRwziB9YX7hj1d90zKPrrO0UktqYbluLffFBdmiX_eSdHEtPWwc5J1t9kNhVNGZ6Q8mf_Q4xNRkh-CRyIl_r4OPeE952SLbyCXZIiZAwhTmpj5boNpuJgGaq_oebQA478ZM_CzlXUTDap63oM-wF6m9YUmheepk_MW_bvXypxOhc9hCNqXflxAsj6xY4dYevpnFh3rSBvdLWhlme0DHDcn7-uzrLcTo9sO1icWId4RvmNGWLWmjd07KHRd70rT6z2JcPuZsquqc9_HCbHgPLoWoQV0hQ5zXWu6IDXSOe3Ad_Gdv5A5O_rV0pN7Kqwz6Su56d7IoVpThp-4jjhHFMJqIJXkQnze6fqQfuLVWHtTNlb5XVh1bF=w1194-h895-no

KxQnIGvS6vp0b8Xp219mdJnC4bb-Sdvpi6tCRD2X6WNYPvIncmOTtuYO5OfYjH7FolzgAxFPMoaUf-TQiGehlysX4tpKAta0AvW4_qvRyNj6npvFIcIyxzDJVgh2vZcdHbkl_-aYIy9snnGMjXDLN1YkkJZzBZPcqCXnTxYdufcRp0tfWc5K1sk2Bljxy5WC3Xks4UNGTAURT2_DiPtcjM-Q8D20oebFv8i6UfXTZsmP43dDQQ735XPE9ezU8IiLlSka05MX0CjRrgmpoaTZLhfinC47dGlyECTl9NBmigOjxEOi4Dq29FUsULV4oCyOPN-VLCD1P6D9K3FDmlh0c_p-RUfL5SKghuSWiwwoBoqGhBhAAHx0b00yJD60d889JdMqgLv_V4T-fvPZso8hglo0ui5F7KRgshF87l8UfWnXCl7c90IbfCxMxLIDp9dz9K9crOP1ril9Iccy6zbdfxdxb2xGjUP10sJZpEwVkEvJh3rkdLeTnfPB3k0_AbnUJLbcx60fsRFz58xAYhHHGrvv0-zETHbkjCetnMvt7WTJsWC-NX7mIKUTXjJ0_8_W2onPNUNBzB3q8bA-ZecHy8Z6NkQQ6PlI9XDzcmxV9_PcxfyGApTL=w672-h895-no

Edited by IECalCruiser
Added Photo

We had the Owners Suite in June for the Alaskan cruise. I will always remember sailing away from the sunset, watching the pink hues fade away into the water on our oversized balcony, surrounded by mountains and silence. An emotional experience, 11pm at night with the sun setting...awesome! Also the 360 degree spin the captain did at the Glacier Bay, what a superb view on our aft balcony. The suite was large, service excellent, no rocky motion or noise. The balcony was triple length and double width, plenty of room for 2 deck chairs, 2 loungers and a large table for dinner and drinks! Breakfast is superb especially with the Mimosa start, you will get (assuming it is on board your ship) Club Class dining, mini bar set up, laundry, lounge access and much more.

09bdaa6d59e54876774d30e741d33bee.jpgf8171bbf6308f9bab86c9f971d3dd568.jpgbca6644666f237e284ea4166c3b016ff.jpge7871df9160bb6c992547cdda25a12e8.jpg

Some of the unobstructed views I was talking about! Reading this thread and seeing the above photos, I want to do it all again!!

How was your weather in June?

We always get an aft suite on Dolphin deck. We love being above the wake and the extra large balcony. For Glacier Bay we are on deck going in and at the Marjorie Glacier. Then we return to our cabin and have a snack on the balcony while being in awe of the scenery.

How was your weather in June?

Quite variable, ranging from cold upon leaving Anchorage and around the glaciers, to quite mild the further south we went, especially in Juneau and Ketchikan. Whatever the weather, it fitted with the ambience and surroundings and whilst cold, it was never terribly cold. The latter part of the cruise we could sit on the balcony from mid afternoon to late evening and be quite comfortable. A couple of times we were quite warm, taking off layers. So all in all, cool/cold initially at the outset and by the glaciers (but 'nicely' so), getting towards warm and mild the further south we went. Hope that helps a bit!

We sailed in D737 on the Caribbean Princess. The balcony is great, but I found a few of the interior features disappointing.

There is only one sink in the bathroom and no shelves. We ended up keeping a few necessities like toothbrushes, toothpaste, and meds in a small plastic box, which we had used for packing, on the counter by the sink - unsightly but functional.

There is a wonderful vanity/dressing table in the bedroom with great mirrors and lighting, but I still found myself going back and forth to the sink. The drawer in the dressing table is very shallow, so I ended up using the top drawer of the extended night table to store most of my cosmetics, toiletries, brushes, etc. The hair dryer is attached to the wall by the dressing table.

There is no desk near the entry as in other suites. That meant all the cameras, phones, ipads, or anything that need charging ended up on the extended night table by the bed - a bit cluttered and not as convenient as dropping things as you come in the door.

I thought the walk-in closet was a bit tight. Two of the hanging rods are in the corner flanked by shelves and drawers on one side and another rod for full-length items on the other side. It took some digging around to reach items in that corner section. And watch your fingers when you close the closet door!

Drawer space was limited, especially if you are packing bulky, cold-weather gear.

The size of the suite and balcony along with the perks still make for a great experience.

Quite variable, ranging from cold upon leaving Anchorage and around the glaciers, to quite mild the further south we went, especially in Juneau and Ketchikan. Whatever the weather, it fitted with the ambience and surroundings and whilst cold, it was never terribly cold. The latter part of the cruise we could sit on the balcony from mid afternoon to late evening and be quite comfortable. A couple of times we were quite warm, taking off layers. So all in all, cool/cold initially at the outset and by the glaciers (but 'nicely' so), getting towards warm and mild the further south we went. Hope that helps a bit!

It does - thank you!

I have had that exact cabin several times. To say you will have a better view from the side is just simply not so. D737 is on the corner and as the photos show, you have a view to the side as well as the aft. I do agree with one negative comment: there is only one sink in the bathroom and no shelves; but these are very minor complaints and very easy to live with. And the Dolphin deck Vista suites have the largest, or should I say,deepest balconies with the most coverage. I always get D736 or D737.

I had an aft Vista suite in January on the Star and wouldn't do it again. The layout of the cabin didn't suit me and the closet is really awkward because the closet door prevents you from using some of the closet. The safe is in a cupboard that is in an awkward place in front of the closet door. There was a gritty type of dirt on the balcony and furniture, I assumed from exhaust. All you see is the aft wake and it's noisy. You may love it, I didn't. I will always take a mid ship Penthouse which are bigger and nicely laid out.