Returning flight is 10:30pm - what to do after debarkation?

We (husband, 2 kids and I myself) have a 7-night cruise trip on Oasis from 4/16 to 4/23 out of Port Canaveral. We will be flying in and out of Orlando airport.

Our flight home on the last day (4/23) is at 10:35pm. Assuming we can get off the ship around mid morning, that leaves us almost a full day to do some sightseeing in Orlando or going to a Disney park for the day (we have a toddler). At least - that is my plan. Here is what I think I would like to do: rent a car at the port after debarkation, and return the car at the airport at the end of the day before we board the flight home.

Here is the question: is this a doable plan? I don't know anything about the port or the debarkation process, so I don't know if I am planning a scenario that is not realistic. Has anyone done this? Is there another option here for us to take advantage of that last day?

Thanks all.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Hopefully you'll find the answers you're looking for. :)

As a starting place, I suggest that you head over to the Roll Call for your cruise. Your fellow passengers might be able to help you out, and it's always good being able to talk to people on the same cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2414750

You should also head over to the Florida Departures board to get further ideas. You might want to repeat your post there: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Good luck!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Hopefully you'll find the answers you're looking for. :)

As a starting place, I suggest that you head over to the Roll Call for your cruise. Your fellow passengers might be able to help you out, and it's always good being able to talk to people on the same cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2414750

You should also head over to the Florida Departures board to get further ideas. You might want to repeat your post there: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Good luck!

Excellent answer.

You can definitely rent a car! We're doing the same but with port everglades this month :) we're headed over to see a spring training game! We got a very very reasonably priced car by going through Costco :)

We have a similar situation when we return to Miami later this month. I ended up booking a "Tours by Locals" excursion. They will pick us up at the port, give us a tour of Miami, Fort Lauderdale, then drop us off at the Fort Lauderdale airport. About 8 hours worth of tour. We were looking for something other than a tour bus approach, which could handle the amount of luggage we would be toting along.

This will be our 3rd or 4th Tours by Locals tour. We have had great luck with them. They are willing to personalize the experience. When we came off our cruise ship in New York, the driver asked us what we were interested in. When he found out we did stained glass, he suggested a museum that had an exhibition he thought would interest us. So, we got the usual highlights, plus something out of the norm that fit us perfectly. This has been our usual experience! Great service!

We (husband, 2 kids and I myself) have a 7-night cruise trip on Oasis from 4/16 to 4/23 out of Port Canaveral. We will be flying in and out of Orlando airport. Our flight home on the last day (4/23) is at 10:35pm. Assuming we can get off the ship around mid morning, that leaves us almost a full day to do some sightseeing in Orlando or going to a Disney park for the day..
We have cruised out of Canaveral a number of times; we were on Oasis for 2 weeks this Jan-Feb. We usually rent a car to drive to our home a few hours away, as renting a car is cheaper than parking and saves wear & tear on our car.

Renting a car and going to Disney MIGHT be doable, but I will make several comments. Renting a car in Canaveral can be excruciatingly slow, both to get through the pick-up line at the rental location and on the shuttle to get there. Traffic at the Oasis terminal is a zoo and it can literally take an hour for the rental shuttle to make the loop around the terminal. The later you wait, the worse it gets. If you wait until "mid-morning" to get off the ship, you will be lucky to be on the road by noon and it will be 2pm before you are through the gate at Disney. You will be needing to start out of the park at 6pm to be in your car by 7pm to get to the rental car check-in at 8pm to get to the airport at 8:30, check-in luggage, go through security and get to the gate a hour before take-off. You could allow less time for this, but I wouldn't. I also would not spend the money and effort to go to Disney for the 4 most crowded hours of the day (2pm - 6pm). If you able to do self-disembarkation to get off as early as possible (as in be in line at 6am and have a rental car agency that opens early, then Disney might be doable.

My suggestion would be to look into going to Cape Kennedy instead.

Thom

Disney is really fun-but one day tickets are the most expensive tickets (on a per day basis) and you wont get nearly enough time there. What if you went to Disney Springs for the day. A little shopping, a movie or blowing, a nice lunch or dinner or both and you get a little Disney Magic for free.

One thing you can consider doing is something they call Luggage Valet. If you have a flight after noon and before midnight at many ports, and you are flying from/to US airport, this works great. Basically it's x$ per person and they take your luggage from the ship (when you put it out at night the last night), you will see it at your destination airport when you arrive. This way you will have all day to do what you want without having to worry about that. Then you can take a shuttle, Uber or whatever from port to Orlando. We did this in Seattle a few years back and it gave us chance to tour without lugging around our luggage. Just something to think about.

Erika

As a south Floridian, I would not suggest Disney given the expense - it's a lot to pay for a few hours, and it is likely to be crowded, so long wait times. I would suggest the Space Center, or you could check out Cocoa Beach and Ron Jon Surf Shop! The Space Center has a lot to do and even for a toddler, lots of cool things! :cool:

Good suggestions above as well.....have fun whatever you end up doing!! :D

Buying 1 day tickets to Disney and/or Univeral is the most expensive way to visit.

They jack the prices way-up to make you buy multi-day tickets, and it is still way over-priced.

Sea World might be a little less expensive, but I think they bundle their tickets like everyone else.

I would not go that route.

I would get a car and hang out in Cocoa beach area.

Maybe get a day room at a hotel near the Cocoa Beach Pier, there is a few things to do around there to kill a day.

Another plan is to go to NASA , which could be done in 7 hours.

... Another plan is to go to NASA , which could be done in 7 hours.

I agree with this, it's much less expensive than Disney and there's more than enough time to spend there.

I agree with this, it's much less expensive than Disney and there's more than enough time to spend there.

If you rent a car...do some free Disney type things. How about Downtown Disney (now Disney Springs) Or park at Polynesian hotel, get some dole whip and ride the monorail around. Animal kingdom lodge is cool to see too. You can see animals from the back of the lodge and even take a tour of Boma restaurant everyday at 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Birdylady, thanks for mentioning luggage Valet. I had no idea such services exist. We fly Southwest and I just looked it up on RoyalCarribean website, it looks like this service is available (I will call tomorrow to make sure). This could free us from having to rent a car (to store our luggage).

I'm in a similar situation but flight is leaving at 9:40pm. We're renting a car in port canaveral and dropping off at MCO and between that we're going to typhoon lagoon. The hours are shorter and the price is lower so it seems like a better option than one of the theme parks. It helps we love lazy rivers and typhoon lagoon's is one of the best :)

No WAY would I attempt a Disney or Universal park with only 1 day. I would find a hotel room somewhere in Orlando and spend the day there... But 1st, I'd check into the price for an earlier flight...compare the prices to all of the other options...rental car, hotel, etc. and pick the cheapest!

We've done late flights after a great vacation...it's no way to end your holiday!