Rental Car

We will be stopping in Port Canaveral March 21st while aboard Grandeur, looking to rent a car for the day....is there rental places within walking distance or are there shuttles to bring you to a rental place and back, or better yet does the rental place have a shuttle that will pick you up and drop you back off? Thank you for any info!

We will be stopping in Port Canaveral March 21st while aboard Grandeur, looking to rent a car for the day....is there rental places within walking distance or are there shuttles to bring you to a rental place and back, or better yet does the rental place have a shuttle that will pick you up and drop you back off? Thank you for any info!

There are about a half-dozen rental places with free shuttles to the cruise port:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46477988&postcount=5

[url=http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46477988&postcount=5][/url]

Note that the map might not be 100% accurate as far as location, but the agencies are all nearby.

Great news and Thank You. Also it says they all run shuttles, is that if you are pre-booked for a car or will there shuttles at the port when we arrive?

The shuttles run continuously without regard for reservations. However, these are small agencies, and you may not find a car available without a reservation.

Great news and Thank You. Also it says they all run shuttles, is that if you are pre-booked for a car or will there shuttles at the port when we arrive?

Definitely reserve a car in advance, you are in port with Anthem of the Seas and Norwegian Breakaway. You are the first ship in though at 10:30am. We were there last week on Anthem and were supposed to be last in at noon, but we came in ahead of Breakaway around 11:30am. We met people at Grills and it was packed! We didn't rent a car though, since they were picking us up, so did not notice the shuttles.

wrt the shuttles

they run shuttles during 'normal business hours' ... ships visiting PC as a port call typically stay PAST those hours. Most of the rental places have a drop box so you can return the car but you'd be on your own to get back to the ship ...

taxi / UBER / walk (depending on agency and berth)

There are about a half-dozen rental places with free shuttles to the cruise port:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46477988&postcount=5

Note that the map might not be 100% accurate as far as location, but the agencies are all nearby.

Hey Bob,

Do you know if the National location is still walking distance to Oasis or did it move? I specifically booked National because I thought it was walking distance to avoid the shuttle. Many thanks in advance.

Hey Bob,

Do you know if the National location is still walking distance to Oasis or did it move? I specifically booked National because I thought it was walking distance to avoid the shuttle. Many thanks in advance.

Yes National is within walking distance! :cool:

Hey Bob,

No sorry, I don't recall which agencies moved. I thnk there is one very close now. You can try asking on the Florida Departures forum. Capt BJ (who made the map) is very knowledgeable about the PC area:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=672

I'll share -

If using a rental car shuttle, allow sufficient time to drive back to the rental location, time to return the rental, and time to get back to the ship

Shuttles aren't always sitting there waiting for you. The shuttle may have just left before you arrived, and you may need to wait for its return (or another shuttle.) If there are a lot of renters, the next shuttle could be full (renters in front of you that exceed the shuttle capacity.) Your ship may not be the only ship in port. Just plan accordingly.

We did this once in Port Canaveral (rush hour.) Fortunately, we had just enough time to make it back to the ship. A road blockage due to an accident would have made us run (or possibly swim) to the ship! Walking to the car rental sounds like a great alternative.