Waitlisted for Traditional Dining

swd269

I just found out we are waitlisted for early dining on CB 1/14/06. We are

# 101 and 104. Does anyone have any idea what my chances are of getting it? My TA says if I don't get confirmed to go to the Maitre'd and he will take care of it. Is it that easy? We are really big traditional dining fans. Of course we will have a great cruise no matter what, just wondering what our chances are.

Susan

Hi Susan.

I think from reading your post in the roll call that we are maybe going to be in the cabin right above you on the CB - are you in E730 or E731? This is the BEST picture of our balconies (E731 side)! It shows just how big they really are!! Check out the rest of the album for more pics of E731.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/290527980/291057453GUzZbH

For our CB cruise in Oct, at 2 months out were were around 100 on the waitlist for late seating. We never made it below 50. I had wanted to try anytime and talked hubby into it so we never went to the Maitre'D We both enjoyed it. If you really want traditional, go see the Maitre'D. There's a good chance you will get it within a day or two if not the first night. Many folks did that on our cruise and we had 3400 passengers!

Have a great cruise!:D :D

Join the club of those who wanted traditional dining on Princess but were put on a wait list. I am sure that others can post their experiences and give you some idea of your chances of clearing the wait list or actually getting traditional dining when you seek out the Maitre'd onboard. Princess is so convinced that anytime dining is so popular that it regularly places those who request traditional into anytime dining. Since they know their guests preferences weeks in advance of sailing, it would seem they could reallocate their dining rooms between traditional dining and anytime to fit the needs of each particular sailing, but they don't do so and I have never seen any official word from them as to why they don't or won't. Their spokespeople insist that "anyime dining" is wildly popular and successful, but on a regular basis we see posts on this board from people, like yourself, who have been unable to get their personal choice - traditional. Go figure.:rolleyes:

Hi Susan.

I think from reading your post in the roll call that we are maybe going to be in the cabin right above you on the CB - are you in E730 or E731? This is the BEST picture of our balconies (E731 side)! It shows just how big they really are!! Check out the rest of the album for more pics of E731.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/290527980/291057453GUzZbH

I'm SO glad I read your note...your balcony pictures were very timely. We're booked in BB750 Baja deck aft and we had no idea how our view would be "partially obstructed". Still not sure as I can't identify the decks in your photo. Do you have any insight into which deck in the aft photo is which? #750 is second from the left and therefore not in your photo. The balconies look great and somewhat larger than on other ships. Princess told me the measurement of our balcony is 11' x 8'.

I'm also waitlisted but will probably opt for anytime dining...did so on a Norwegian cruise (where it all started) and worked well for us!

Thanks again for your note and photos and any help you can provide on the aft balconies.

Their spokespeople insist that "anyime dining" is wildly popular and successful, but on a regular basis we see posts on this board from people, like yourself, who have been unable to get their personal choice - traditional. Go figure.:rolleyes:

Excellent comment. I've never seen a post from someone who was waitlisted for Anytime dining.

When we were on the Island, we had booked a table for two, in traditional dining, eight months ahead. We received our request, and after the slow service the first night, in traditional.................which seemed to only be a problem with tables for two, as they were surrounded by so many large tables, which kept the waiters busy.............we flew down to the dining room the next morning and switched to Personal Choice, thereby leaving a table for two available, in early traditional. Do check the second morning, as there seemed to be a group of people wanting to change one direction or another. My husband and I had not done Personal Choice before, but it was truly the best thing ever. We could join large tables if we wished, or have a table for two, and some nights we could just have room service, or go to the Horizon Court late. We did an extra payment restaurant for our anniversary, and never missed traditional. It was so free-ing!! We never had to tell anyone what we were doing, nor have anyone waiting for us. We still dressed for dinner, to whatever the dress code was that evening, and had a ball! So don't be too upset if you cannot change, you may find Personal Choice to your liking. We talked to other people aboard ship that were also enjoying Personal Choice, even though they had not expected to. :)

So don't be too upset if you cannot change, you may find Personal Choice to your liking. We talked to other people aboard ship that were also enjoying Personal Choice, even though they had not expected to. :)

No one is saying that some cruisers don't like "anytime dining" and perhaps some who are forced to take it will end up preferring it to traditional. The question is why they should be "forced" to take something other than what they originally ordered. If it was a small number of people, it would be understandable, but when it is hundreds it seems unfair and could be easily remedied by reversing the allocation of traditional and anytime dining rooms.

The reason that people aren't placed on a waitlist for "anytime dining" is that Princess has reserved more dining rooms for that style than for traditional, even when those requesting traditional outnumber those wanting anytime.:(

Jazzie - In this picture, http://community.webshots.com/photo/278139623/278139623RlkTED the Baja deck is the top deck showing in the picture. Unfortunately, it looks like there is a "post" in the middle of your balcony as you can see.

This picture, http://community.webshots.com/photo/176455212/176473205GEERmu is a closeup of the other side of the back of the ship. The cabin with the "palm tree" on the balcony is B749. The cabin to the left of it would be presumably the same as yours (I'm assuming the ship is symmetrical!).

Serene56 - In your picture, the deck just above the CP name is the Promenade Deck, and then going up through the balcony decks you have Emerald, Dolphin, Caribe, Baja and Aloha.

No one is saying that some cruisers don't like "anytime dining" and perhaps some who are forced to take it will end up preferring it to traditional. The question is why they should be "forced" to take something other than what they originally ordered. If it was a small number of people, it would be understandable, but when it is hundreds it seems unfair and could be easily remedied by reversing the allocation of traditional and anytime dining rooms.

The reason that people aren't placed on a waitlist for "anytime dining" is that Princess has reserved more dining rooms for that style than for traditional, even when those requesting traditional outnumber those wanting anytime.:(

I’m in agreement. It would be very easy for Princess to address exactly the number of cruisers who want Traditional Dining by using part of the Anytime Dining room for the overflow. It’s difficult to understand how Princess can offer “Personal Choice” in this regard when one is waitlisted for their preference. While there are probably a number of passengers who become converts to the Anytime Dining option, there are others who don’t want it and being forced into it is off-putting.

We were waitlisted for 10 months on the Golden Princess a couple years back. We never made it to the top of the list. We HATED anytime dining (long lines sometimes, etc.). We won't book with Princess unless we are guaranteed trad. dining. We tried getting a guaranteed time on board, but were not successful.

I’m in agreement. It would be very easy for Princess to address exactly the number of cruisers who want Traditional Dining by using part of the Anytime Dining room for the overflow. It’s difficult to understand how Princess can offer “Personal Choice” in this regard when one is waitlisted for their preference. While there are probably a number of passengers who become converts to the Anytime Dining option, there are others who don’t want it and being forced into it is off-putting.
And – thinking this through a bit more – what better way to advertise Anytime Dining than to have traditional diners sitting in the same room watching it happen?

Then again, thinking it through, maybe there are some galley constraints that make blending the two rooms an issue.

Then again, you can get a standing reservation in Anytime Dining – which in effect is traditional dining at a different time.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

We tried to book a B2B on Princess (10 months out) and could only be confirmed for TD 2nd Seating for the second ten days. We had PC/Anytime once and just did not like it ... not awful, but not what we liked.:rolleyes:

No Problem! We just booked a diffenent cruise line where we could get what we wanted! Since we like to try different ships, it's actually just fine. Certainly, we'll try to book Princess again.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

swd269: When you get on board find out when the Maitre'd is meeting people to change their seating. I recommend to get in line 1/2 to 3/4 hours early so you can get it done. On our recent Sun Cruise we started at a waitlist at over 100 I think and when we cruised we were down to 61 for early dinner. I got in the Maitre'd line at time in the Patters and it was about 10 minutes til I saw a person to get my number to see the Maitre'd, and then it was just over an hour to see the Maitre'd and we did get our perfered seating. Oh our number was 23. Some folks go see the Maitre'd and tell their life stories! so it takes some time, but good luck and think of it as a new adventure to your cruise!

Enjoy

Jazzie - In this picture, http://community.webshots.com/photo/278139623/278139623RlkTED the Baja deck is the top deck showing in the picture. Unfortunately, it looks like there is a "post" in the middle of your balcony as you can see.

This picture, http://community.webshots.com/photo/176455212/176473205GEERmu is a closeup of the other side of the back of the ship. The cabin with the "palm tree" on the balcony is B749. The cabin to the left of it would be presumably the same as yours (I'm assuming the ship is symmetrical!).

Serene56 - In your picture, the deck just above the CP name is the Promenade Deck, and then going up through the balcony decks you have Emerald, Dolphin, Caribe, Baja and Aloha.

Thanks very much for your response and ACTUAL pictures! Prompted a pointed email to my TA to try to change our cabin as that obstruction is totally unacceptable. Princess would NOT talk to me, and my TA is largely ineffectual when it comes to the PR skills necessary to attain successful deviations. I've had problems from the get-go with this cruise and it appears to all come down to 'lack of communication' and actual fact avoidance by Princess. They now say the ship is fully booked but if we had only been told at the first inquiry (6 weeks ago), we would have changed then when cabins were available.

We tried to book a B2B on Princess (10 months out) and could only be confirmed for TD 2nd Seating for the second ten days. We had PC/Anytime once and just did not like it ... not awful, but not what we liked.:rolleyes:

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I think that it should be obvious by now, that PC dining doesn't refer to "Personal Choice" but rather "Princess' Choice" and "anytime dining" means "anytime you want to dine, but probably not between 7:30 and 8:30":)

I am interested in the fact that many of you have posted that Princess has kept "many more dining rooms" for Personal Choice than for Traditional Dining. I have not been on the newest ships, but have been on the old Crown, Regal, Sun, Star and Island, and those ships, if I remember correctly, have only TWO dining rooms. Since the inception of Personal Choice, one dining room has been for PC, and one for Traditional. Do many of the newer ships have MORE than two dining rooms? How many for each form of dining? Interesting..............

We were just on the Sapphire and the only full time traditional dining room was the International. There was one the Vivaldi that was traditional for either the first or second seating and then changed after that and then there were 3 other PC dining rooms.

Susan :)

I have not been on the newest ships, but have been on the old Crown, Regal, Sun, Star and Island, and those ships, if I remember correctly, have only TWO dining rooms.
Crown 1 and Regal had (have) only one dining room. Sun and Island have two. Star 2 has three (Star 1 had one) and two are dedicated to Anytime Dining.

We were waitlisted last year in the 60 number range. We never did get to traditional. We were on board early and the first stop was to try and change it, but no luck. We did not try the second day as some have suggested.

Turns out that PC wasn't so bad. We had horrible tablemates the first night, and were glad that we didn't have to sit with them for a week. Later in the week we were able to have dinner with people we met on excursions and on-board, something not possible in traditional dining.

I agree that the balance of space in traditional vs PC seems to be off, as there is always a wait list for traditional. But as with other things in cruising, you make the most of the situation and enjoy yourself anyway. The dining situation is not a deal breaker for me.

Archived