Edge Sky Suites - What's the Scoop?

vtcruising

54 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

I am confused to which class of cabins have bed facing the ocean. Are there S1, S2 and S3 with this layout ? 

I have been told the S1 and S2 midship (port and starboard) have the bed facing the ocean and S3 and S 1 aft are not.

i have seen both now and there are advantages for each, but I think I like the bed facing the ocean a bit better. 😀

image.jpg

S1. Aft

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So...to S1 aft or to S1 port or starboard...as that is my question.

S1 afts have largest balconies and the view of the wake, but bed faces the side and no opening to water view from bathroom.   Also, these cabins should be a little quieter, as they are more like the S1 afts on S class ships.

S1's have the beds facing the water, along with the wonderful water views from the bathroom.  Howeve, the decks are smaller and no wake view.

I wonder if there is a difference in the layouts of the bathrooms...I believe I have seen different photos showing the mirror in a small area by itself, and one that is along the end of the sink.  That information may help with the decision or not!

Woe is me...whther to S1 aft or just S1...that is the question!

Edited by Lastdance

12 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

So...to S1 aft or to S1 port or starboard...as that is my question.

S1 afts have largest balconies and the view of the wake, but bed faces the side and no opening to water view from bathroom.   Also, these cabins should be a little quieter, as they are more like the S1 afts on S class ships.

S1's have the beds facing the water, along with the wonderful water views from the bathroom.  Howeve, the decks are smaller and no wake view.

I wonder if there is a difference in the layouts of the bathrooms...I believe I have seen different photos showing the mirror in a small area by itself, and one that is along the end of the sink.  That information may help with the decision or not!

Woe is me...whther to S1 aft or just S1...that is the question!

There is a difference in the layouts. Marilyn has seen both versions of the S1 bathrooms. I believe she said this afternoon that the aft S1 bathroom had a better layout, but she preferred the S1 on the side with the window facing the sea. I would be interested in seeing photos of each. 

We had an aft-facing cabin on Crown Princess (slightly smaller than Edge) and it was a LONG walk to get anywhere.  [Aft-most cabins on Azamara are no problem, as the ships are so small!]  For that reason I would prefer a mid-ship S1.  And you can even save a little money by getting a nicely located S2 (esp. 10191-10205 and 10200-10214).

2 hours ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

So I think this is correct…  Note the bed position and bathroom layout in each.

S3.jpg.215224331ced1c2e5d054b13ed3046ac.jpg

Above: S3

S2_and_S1_midship.jpg.4f24b701a4478d8842d51b6e918a9e2d.jpg

Above: S2 and S1 midship

S1_aft.jpg.f6e87f121ec4b766a9e07f232e8bda54.jpg

Above: S1 aft

i am glad that Marilyn is going to weigh in on this once again.  More walking for us is necessary, and we like the quiet; however, the see through window is nice too.  I can see the difference in the bathrooms and the aft does look like it has an advantage, ever so slightly...

I love having everyone's input, so keep it coming!  Oh, and we have those pesky poles on some of the other S1's, so that could be an issue for some too...

Edited by Lastdance

Sure wish the balcony furniture in the renderings above were actually in the cabins. For what We paid for our SS, I am not very happy about the way VT had to eat breakfast this morning. ( photo on her live review). However clearly Celebrity wants to limit the amount of people dinning in their rooms. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mcampo said:

Sure wish the balcony furniture in the renderings above were actually in the cabins. For what We paid for our SS, I am not very happy about the way VT had to eat breakfast this morning. ( photo on her live review). However clearly Celebrity wants to limit the amount of people dinning in their rooms. 

I agree about the furniture in the artist renderings. Even the X mock-ups that the Press and TA's were shown at the Edge reveal had that specific verandah furniture. It seems that only the CS's and other higher suites ended up with them.

I know that things are subject to change, but LLP said during the 3D Reveal that everything was shown exactly as it would appear on the ship when completed.

Edited by C-Dragons

17 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

I agree about the furniture in the artist renderings. Even the X mock-ups that the Press and TA's were shown at the Edge reveal had that specific verandah furniture. It seems that only the CS's and other higher suites ended up with them.

I know that things are subject to change, but LLP said during the 3D Reveal that everything was shown exactly as it would appear on the ship when completed.

We will have to find her on 12/9, and asked what happened.....maybe they have tray tables for breakfast in bed? I am going to ask because there is no way my 6’2 DH will be bending over to eat breakfast at that little balcony table. His back may give out...and that won’t make for a fun cruise... 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, johnnyswitzerland said:

So I think this is correct…  Note the bed position and bathroom layout in each.

S3.jpg.215224331ced1c2e5d054b13ed3046ac.jpg

Above: S3

S2_and_S1_midship.jpg.4f24b701a4478d8842d51b6e918a9e2d.jpg

Above: S2 and S1 midship

S1_aft.jpg.f6e87f121ec4b766a9e07f232e8bda54.jpg

Above: S1 aft

It is correct for how they exist on ship. S1s were promoted as all having that third layout though. I think most of us had figured out awhile ago that the third layout was specific to aft cabins since those corner cabins always have a bigger balcony like on S class. For those who find having the bed facing out to the water more important some may be disappointed to find it going sideways. It would've been nice for Celebrity to have promoted them correctly, but I have come to be used to mistakes when it comes to deck plans on new ships regardless of the cruise line.

balcony.thumb.png.983f46109255ca421ffe52b3cd44e69d.png

One of the reasons we like sky suites is breakfast on the balcony, before getting ready for full breakfast in Luminae. Also the table is nice for those that cant make it to Luminae before closing time. Maybe Luminae will be open for breakfast later than 9:30am on the Edge?

Edited by bigbenboys
added info
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, WonderMan3 said:

If people insist on loungers on a deck that are not a standard part of the cabin then maybe book a Celebrity Suite or higher as at least one is included in those categories. If Celebrity intended for those larger balconies to have loungers seems like they would’ve added them from the start. I guess I’m just not one to spin butlers/room attendants to do extra work when they already have so much on their plate. But that’s just me. I am in a Sky Suite this upcoming Edge cruise. If I want a lounger I’ll go up to the pool deck or The Retreat. In January I’ll be in a larger suite with loungers and won’t have to. I get what I pay for.

I've looked at a couple pictures of the CS and from what I recollect there isn't a lounger on the CS deck either.   If I recall there is a dining table with two chairs and two easy chairs.    I'm hoping you are right about a lounger being on the deck also.

image.thumb.png.b19ad6a0e926b011ae06c3146d7cf048.png

On the Edge there are no loungers in the CS (there is a lounger on the S Class CS balcony). My Retreat buddy who was in a CS was not pleased. There are two nice chairs and a real table and chairs.

Edited by vtcruising

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

This might be a good solution for a Footstool and Cocktail table.  At least that's what I would use it for.

Jim, where were you last week? That's brilliant!! If they haven't corrected things by January 20, that is going out on the balcony. 🙂

19 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

image.thumb.png.b19ad6a0e926b011ae06c3146d7cf048.png

On the Edge there are no loungers in the CS (there is a lounger on the S Class CS balcony). My Retreat buddy who was in a CS was not pleased. There are two nice chairs and a real table and chairs.

That's the configuration of the CS I recall seeing.  Thanks for posting.    Will be curious to hear from someone who had a CS.   From some pictures Iain seems to think the Cocktail Table in the Living Room has a split in it and that it can be raised or lowered for dining -   Kinda like those desk where you can stand or sit while working.

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

That's the configuration of the CS I recall seeing.  Thanks for posting.    Will be curious to hear from someone who had a CS.   From some pictures Iain seems to think the Cocktail Table in the Living Room has a split in it and that it can be raised or lowered for dining -   Kinda like those desk where you can stand or sit while working.

Yes, part of the coffee table lifts to become a table. I'll see if I can get my buddy who was in a Cs to answer your questions.

We stayed in the CS in November. There was no lounger / recliner on the balcony. There are 2 large comfy chairs, a ceramic pedestal / table by comfy chairs, and 2 smaller chairs at a square dining table. The large balcony chairs were coushioned and VERY comfy. I used the other comfy chair and the pedestal table as footrests. I did not think to bring the rocker outside, but that is also an option as others have shown!!!

One side of the coffee table top lifts and swings toward the couch.

It would be nice to have a true lounger on the balcony, but given all the furniture in the cabin, one can improvise on the footrest.  We would consider booking the cabin again since it and the balcony is so spacious.  

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BridgeBabe said:

Just made final payment for the first (3/24) leg of our B2B..Aft S1...So I guess we are still going!..

Really starting to get excited..Keeping my hopes  up for footstools and a decent table!..Hopefully Celebrity is reading

all the chatter!

Me too....we have an aft S1 in September.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Yes, part of the coffee table lifts to become a table. I'll see if I can get my buddy who was in a Cs to answer your questions.

6 hours ago, Freestyle Cruiser said:

We stayed in the CS in November. There was no lounger / recliner on the balcony. There are 2 large comfy chairs, a ceramic pedestal / table by comfy chairs, and 2 smaller chairs at a square dining table. The large balcony chairs were coushioned and VERY comfy. I used the other comfy chair and the pedestal table as footrests. I did not think to bring the rocker outside, but that is also an option as others have shown!!!

One side of the coffee table top lifts and swings toward the couch.

It would be nice to have a true lounger on the balcony, but given all the furniture in the cabin, one can improvise on the footrest.  We would consider booking the cabin again since it and the balcony is so spacious.  

Thanks to both of you.   It's nice to know that it will be easier to eat breakfast than on an S-Class (where you eat off the cocktail table).  

We had a hump CS on Silhouette recently.   Because of the extra size we had a lounge chair.   Not that it was of any consequence.   Due to the heavy sea conditions on the northern crossing they had all the furniture turned upside down and tied in the corner for most of the cruise.   The temperatures were too cold for most of the remainder of the cruise to spend much time out on the deck.  

https://m.facebook.com/rebecca.n.franks/posts/pcb.2184655238441418/?photo_id=10156569735568001&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.2184655238441418%26photo%3D10156569735568001%26profileid%3D1435750539%26source%3D48%26refid%3D18%26ref%3Dm_notif%26notif_t%3Dgroup_activity%26__tn__%3DEH-R%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid%3D&mdf=1

Don't know if this link will work, but it's an interesting shot of an S3. Shows how much the MC railing blocks the view. The extra window will help, but it's certainly not ideal. And the chairs still look small with the size of the balcony.

Just checked the link. If you scroll down a bit, the balcony shot will be there.

Edited by Travelfor2
Correction

19 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've looked at a couple pictures of the CS and from what I recollect there isn't a lounger on the CS deck either.   If I recall there is a dining table with two chairs and two easy chairs.    I'm hoping you are right about a lounger being on the deck also.

Jim, we will be in a CS on our Jan 20th cruise.  When (or if?) the shore-side concierge contacts me I plan to request one lounger for my DW as she will be disappointed not to have one on the balcony.  Let's see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...