Venice/Greece itnerary - Celebrity or Viking?

jabrown40

I currently have an Aqua class cabin on Celebrity Constellation booked for August 2018. We have sailed with them once before, and were very happy with our cruise. Just saw that Viking has a similar itinerary for the same, and with the half airfare promotion, I think costs will be about the same. This is the comparison:

Celebrity, 10 nights - Venice, Dubrovnik (overnight stay), Dubrovnik, At SEA, Crete, Mykonos, Athens, Santorini, Katakolon, At SEA, Venice

Viking, 8 nights- Venice (overnight) Venice, Split (Croatia) Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Olympia, Athens

I know we will be coming to Venice a couple of days early, either itinerary, and if we choose Viking, we will stay in Athens a couple of days.

I'm not worried about included excursions, drink packages, etc. that affect cost, thinking more about itinerary, and ship factors - which would provide the best experience? I also posted the same on the Vikings board.

Celebrity, 10 nights - Venice, Dubrovnik (overnight stay), Dubrovnik, At SEA, Crete, Mykonos, Athens, Santorini, Katakolon, At SEA, Venice

Viking, 8 nights- Venice (overnight) Venice, Split (Croatia) Dubrovnik, Kotor, Corfu, Olympia, Athens

Viking!

We've done 8 Celebrity, 1 Viking River and 1 Viking Ocean cruise.

The Viking experience was amazing. We are waiting for Viking to release Fall 2018 Med cruises very much like the 8 night described above.

I have read great reviews and am looking forward to our Caribbean cruise with them. But will I be sorry if I don't get to visit Santorini and Crete? This is not a trip we're likely to repeat - too many places we'd still like to see!

I have read great reviews and am looking forward to our Caribbean cruise with them. But will I be sorry if I don't get to visit Santorini and Crete? This is not a trip we're likely to repeat - too many places we'd still like to see!

I'd go Viking and spend a few days land touring Santorini. The Viking ends at Athens, right where you can take the high-speed ferry to Santorini (a neat trip in itself)

My two cents

Edited by A Sixth?

I'd go Viking and spend a few days land touring Santorini. The Viking ends at Athens, right where you can take the high-speed ferry to Santorini (a neat trip in itself)

My two cents

That's a brilliant idea ;).

Which port in Crete? There are at least three. I think Celebrity often stops at Chania -- and if that's the port, you won't miss anything.

Santorini would be tougher to miss. But on the Viking cruise you go to Split (which I really, really enjoyed). Plus you get the lovely sail in to Kotor.

Which port in Crete? There are at least three. I think Celebrity often stops at Chania -- and if that's the port, you won't miss anything.

Santorini would be tougher to miss. But on the Viking cruise you go to Split (which I really, really enjoyed). Plus you get the lovely sail in to Kotor.

Kotor is indeed special :).

Can't speak to Crete, but I think you would be sorry to miss Santorini, either as part of the cruise or an independent, ferry and land trip later. The place is really special, the views, the food and the people are all great.

First, I think you should do the itinerary you like best.

All things being equal, I would choose Viking.

This thread describes the Viking ship experience and why I adored it: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2457374

Even at the lowest cost cabin, VIking is amazing. Smaller ship, better service and food everywhere, free specialty restaurants, a beautiful spa and gym, included beverages and lunch and dinner and $20 per day beverage package if that is not enough.

I currently have an Aqua class cabin on Celebrity Constellation booked for August 2018. We have sailed with them once before, and were very happy with our cruise. Just saw that Viking has a similar itinerary for the same, and with the half airfare promotion, I think costs will be about the same. This is the comparison:

I know we will be coming to Venice a couple of days early, either itinerary, and if we choose Viking, we will stay in Athens a couple of days.

I'm not worried about included excursions, drink packages, etc. that affect cost, thinking more about itinerary, and ship factors - which would provide the best experience? I also posted the same on the Vikings board.

Have you looked into Oceania? We had a wonderful itinerary with an overnight in Venice this past November. I love Celebrity but the Constillation is an older ship.

I have, but worried about lack of entertainment, and no half price for air, so it is more expensive as well.

You definitely do not go on Oceania for the entertainment, but the itineraries and the food are amazing, keep in mind you are tired after touring all day but it is a greater expense for sure..

We are real Celebrity lovers and have never cruised on Viking so my comments are based totally on the itinerary...

The negative on the 8 day cruise will leave you tired out. It is impossible not to do justice to those ports and they will involve a lot of walking. Biggest 'pro' to me on this cruise is you can experience two city breaks Venice and Athens. Athens seems to get a lot of 'negatives' mainly because cruise guests do a rush coach tour. It really is an amazing city and it is so easy to tour from. As others have said you could ferry to Santorini but you could also visit Delphi (totally magical and amazing), Corinth, Cape Sounion to say nothing for dining out at night in Plaka...

The Celebrity tour is great. I think it gives you a flavour of both the Greek islands and the Adriatic. It is well balanced but you would only get to spend land time in Venice...

If you can sort your itinerary to spend a few days in Venice first and towards a week to the end of the Viking cruise in Greece then I think I would go for that one...it really could turn a cruise into a holiday of a lifetime....

We are so lucky in the UK to be able to see the Greek islands and mainlands as week/two week holiday stops in their own right...port stops frequently don't do them justice....

Ok, so I'm on the Celebrity thread, and two people have told me Viking. Can I get a bit more detail on why you'd choose the Viking trip? What about the lack of sea days?

I know... never saw that coming eh? :o

I haven't cruised Viking yet but have a lot of cruises under my belt and prefer Celebrity.... BUT that said:

The Viking Spirit is a much newer ship than the Constellation and overall Viking is higher rated than Celebrity with more things included. I'd love to try Viking if the price was right, problem is that usually they're much more expensive.

If you can, do get to Santorini and spend more than a day or two if you can. It's one of the few places in the world that I've been that I didn't get bored of just looking at it for the scenery after four days.

161mc83.jpg

1znbltj.jpg

No one mentioned pricing in deciding which to pick. Every time that I look at a specific Viking cruise its prices are way higher than what Celebrity, NCL, Princess or RCI offers.

OP said both were about the same for her cruises.

I agree on Viking being higher too.. :D

If you can, do get to Santorini and spend more than a day or two if you can. It's one of the few places in the world that I've been that I didn't get bored of just looking at it for the scenery after four days.

Greece is beautiful but that 2nd pic could have been my ex-girlfriend! :halo:

The Viking cruise is actually about 400.00 to 500.00 more a person, but they are offering 50% off air. It pretty much makes them even. Just not sure about getting to Santorini after getting off in Athens. It's a five hour ferry ride or getting to the Athens airport and flying over. Which now adds to the cost. I know I can deviate with Viking air, but doubt I will be able to fly back to Chicago from santorini, probably have to leave from Athens. Thought about taking the ferry as soon as I got off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My two cents

This is exactly what we're doing on this itinerary in the Fall. We're going in early enough to Venice that when we board Viking Star we will treat the Venice overnight as our "sea day" and rest. I've hired a tour guide to take us around Athens the day we disembark and drop us off at the airport in the evening for a flight to Santorini.

We're Elite with Celebrity and have done one Viking Ocean cruise. We feel like Viking Ocean is a much better product if the price and itinerary line up, at least for the things we're looking for.