The best snorkeling location out of Nassau, St. Thomas or St Maarten?

bostongal123

We are going on Oasis next month and the ports are Nassau, Charlotte Amalie (St. Thomas) and Phillipsburg (St Maarten).

Hubby and teenage son want to book a snorkeling excursion. Which location has the best snorkeling spots? Would love to hear from experienced cruisers.

Thanks!

Can't help with Nassau but I would pick St. Thomas. St Martin is not known for great reefs. We did a private snorkel charter on our Freedom cruise to St Thomas and it was awesome. I am a fairly experienced diver/snorkeler and I felt that what we saw on that trip was top notch.

Can't help with Nassau but I would pick St. Thomas. St Martin is not known for great reefs. We did a private snorkel charter on our Freedom cruise to St Thomas and it was awesome. I am a fairly experienced diver/snorkeler and I felt that what we saw on that trip was top notch.

We did a similar ship excursion in St. Thomas. It was a small sailboat, max of 6 guests, with 3 guided snorkel stops.

As for St. Thomas there is very good shore snorkeling right from Coki and Sapphire Beach. Both beaches offer food, drink, chairs and restrooms. Nassau we booked a snorkel trip just off the pier and the snorkel boat took us to a reef near Rose Island. St. Maarten we took a cab to Mullet Beach, no reef but just snorkel over by the rocks. Just ask at the food truck for the location to snorkel. After we snorkeled we walked over to Maho Beach to watch the planes land.

I snorkel a lot, but have never snorkeled Nassau because there is never enough time on our cruises. St Martin has clear water, but no reefs. Pretty boring. We do however enjoy doing snorkeling days sails on St. Thomas. They typically take you to two, sometimes three really good areas with a lot of fish (usually turtles) and lunch is included.

Burt

We snorkel at almost every stop...yes, St. Maarten not too good but our excursion captain(Sailstmaarten.com) managed to find some good stuff at Long Bay , we saw eels, lobsters, sea snakes and some fish, but I agree of the 3 Coki Beach is easiest to access and you WILL have critters. Best snorkeling ever in Roatan and Belize, maybe you should consider switching itins if you're going for snorkeling.

Edited by BecciBoo

We booked a private sailboat in St. Thomas (jolly mon) and had a great time. They took us to a place where there were a lot of sea turtles. They even got in the water with us to show us where to go, point out things and explain what we were seeing. We had snorkeled many many times before this and this trip was by far the best!

If you're talking Trunk Bay in St John, we were extremely disappointed in it.

It has a wonderful snorkel trail but so many people go there and have damaged the coral so badly, now there are hardly any fish around. Just the occasional Sargent Major and a few minows and pencil or trumpet fish.

Its a beautiful beach, but not much snorkeling. Will not return. I like Sapphire Beach and Lindquist Bay Beach in St. Thomas along with Coki. But none of those compare with Roatan or Belize....JMHO.

We have been to St Maarten and St Thomas numerous time. We typically do our snorkel excursion in St Thomas. We used to do the Sea Blaster but I have not seen it offered recently. In St Maarten we always go to Mullet Bay beach. Its a beautiful crescent moon beach that very rarely is crowded when we go in May. It has a rock reef wall on th left side of the beach that extends all the way out to the ocean. I have seen at least as many fish at that beach as I do in the 2 stops in St Thomas. You dont see any sea turtles though. We mainly go for the beach but the sea life is a nice bonus.

Here's some good information about snorkeling in St. Maarten. If you go by boat, there are some great off-shore places to snorkel:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/snorkeling-st-maarten-57682.html

Coki Beach is good for snorkeling from shore. Bring large size Milk Bone Dog Biscuits to feed the Sargent Majors that swarm the area. They will come right up and eat out of your hand.