Diamond lounge tipping

bmac1

51 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

A lot of places don't believe the $2 bill is real and people might have issues spending them outside the US.  Heck, even IN the US a lot of cashiers are blown away by it. Try using $2 bills in your day to day life in the US and you may be surprised how much pushback you get.  

Nice gesture, certainly a way to be remembered, but might ultimately cause hassle for the recipient.  

Is it about thanking the recipient, or the giver feeling good and being remembered? 

Well said.  2.00 bills are a stupid idea.  Might make the giver feel unique and cool, but not helping the staff just give them two one's.

May as well give them a roll of nickels, so unique and fun, and they'll "remember you"...….

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

Unbelievable!!

So people that give out 2 dollar bills are being criticized for making the servers suffer with these notes...lol 

If you're giving out 2 bucks per drink....you are probably the biggest tipper in the room. Most don't tip at all and the rest maybe one dollar.

As I've stated before when I've given the choice between 2 ones and a single two, they always take the two. 

Thanks for your wisdom......not

I don't get it.  Why are people on here so critical.  I agree. The ones giving out $2 bills are most likely tipping more than others.  If it is an issue about cashing, it is so easy to hit up a bank and get it changed.    

• Like 1

I don’t have direct knowledge, but I’ve been told that non-US ports will not accept two dollar bills.  I don’t know if the crew would have a hard time using the money. I guess they could exchange it on board. 

If one is inclined to tip $2 it might be best to give Two $1 bills 

m

4 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I don’t have direct knowledge, but I’ve been told that non-US ports will not accept two dollar bills.  I don’t know if the crew would have a hard time using the money. I guess they could exchange it on board. 

If one is inclined to tip $2 it might be best to give Two $1 bills 

m

31 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Well said.  2.00 bills are a stupid idea.  Might make the giver feel unique and cool, but not helping the staff just give them two one's.

May as well give them a roll of nickels, so unique and fun, and they'll "remember you"...….

The Crew are choosing to take a 2 dollar bill over two ones.

You know it's called Freedom of Choice. That use to be a fantastic crede in America.

But I guess you know what is "Better" for them. So typical nowadays....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

The Crew are choosing to take a 2 dollar bill over two ones.

You know it's called Freedom of Choice. That use to be a fantastic crede in America.

But I guess you know what is "Better" for them. So typical nowadays....

They are choosing to be nice and not insult the guest.  

Freedom of choice doesn't enter into it.  

You're getting yourself riled up 

22 minutes ago, Colorado Babe said:

If it is an issue about cashing, it is so easy to hit up a bank and get it changed.    

Easy for you.  Easy for me.  What banks are these working foreign nationals using out in the ocean?  They aren't exactly popping into the Chase or TD bank down on the corner on their 6-9 month contracts without a day off.  

Just saying, instead of being cute, put yourself in their position and think about it a second.  

And people bragging about $2 tips...guys it's not 1972...you don't get to be on a high horse about two bucks

Okay...I commented over two years ago, I guess I have to say it again:

All of you people who go to the Diamond Lounge and carry a bunch of small bills and tip after every drink really miss the point.  And don't think those you see "not tipping at all" are necessarily stiffing the servers.

One of the great things about cruising is the notion of "cashless cruising".  You are not expected to carry your wallet or rolls of currency around with you on the ship--an aspect most of us really enjoy.

And, those servers in the Diamond Lounge ARE being compensated for the lack of the standard tips BY THE CRUISE LINE.  They are not doing service in the Diamond Lounge for free while, in other lounges, they get the 18% or 20% or whatever added gratuity charge per drink.  The cruise line accounts for this when assigning them there and pays them accordingly.  What any of us give them in cash is AN EXTRA tip.

Now, I find the service I get in these lounges is exceptional--above and beyond the standard in other bars aboard the ship...So, I DO tip my servers there extra--but I do it as is CUSTOMARY, with a single envelope each, containing a large extra tip--on the last night of the cruise.  I stand up, hand them the envelope and personally thank them for their outstanding service for the entire cruise.

Now, I have read, from you folks doling out the ones and the twos every night, that among the main reasons you do this is that you want them to "remember you" on following nights...that you believe it will elicit better service for you on those nights.  I say that is wrong.  First, I've never done that--I've always tipped my extra on the last night and the service has never been anything but stellar in spite of that.  And, second, it is the WRONG reason to tip...You tip in appreciation of the service you have received, NOT in pursuing some future service.

Again, I just DON'T carry cash around the ship with me all cruise long...

I do cruise a lot...and, believe it or not, my bar waiters do remember me--from cruise to cruise...

I always recall the story of how I was on the Celebrity Constellation in 2007...and a young woman from South Africa who was one of the Assistant Cruise Directors ran up to me when she first saw me onboard and said "Do you remember me?  I was your bar waitress on Millennium in 2003!"  She had been promoted all the way up from bar server to Assistant Cruise Director...and somehow remembered me from a cruise FOUR YEARS earlier!  And I had never tipped her by singles OR by $2 bills...

54 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Easy for you.  Easy for me.  What banks are these working foreign nationals using out in the ocean?  They aren't exactly popping into the Chase or TD bank down on the corner on their 6-9 month contracts without a day off.  

Just saying, instead of being cute, put yourself in their position and think about it a second.  

And people bragging about $2 tips...guys it's not 1972...you don't get to be on a high horse about two bucks

I think there's a way for them to work around that on the ship.  I'm betting they have some kind of arrangement onboard to wire money, etc.  I'm sure they can also exchange bills if they need to.  $2 bills are rarely seen anywhere and I've heard of places in the states that won't accept them.  We just tend to give $1 per drink in the lounges and I've seen many do the same.  I've heard that the $1 coin has caused the same issues since it's also rarely used anywhere.

2 hours ago, Beachammo said:

Hey Island Lady

John's on Allure for the TA

I'll be in 8596 on Rhapsody for the April 18th TA. Take care of the cabin. Hide a beer in the closet....lol

Hey back at 'cha Beachammo!  🙂 

Yeah, gotta love those corner aft cabins.  😉  Will try, but man oh man...that would be one warm stale beer!  LOL!!  🍺

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

Okay...I commented over two years ago, I guess I have to say it again:

All of you people who go to the Diamond Lounge and carry a bunch of small bills and tip after every drink really miss the point.  And don't think those you see "not tipping at all" are necessarily stiffing the servers.

One of the great things about cruising is the notion of "cashless cruising".  You are not expected to carry your wallet or rolls of currency around with you on the ship--an aspect most of us really enjoy.

And, those servers in the Diamond Lounge ARE being compensated for the lack of the standard tips BY THE CRUISE LINE.  They are not doing service in the Diamond Lounge for free while, in other lounges, they get the 18% or 20% or whatever added gratuity charge per drink.  The cruise line accounts for this when assigning them there and pays them accordingly.  What any of us give them in cash is AN EXTRA tip.

Now, I find the service I get in these lounges is exceptional--above and beyond the standard in other bars aboard the ship...So, I DO tip my servers there extra--but I do it as is CUSTOMARY, with a single envelope each, containing a large extra tip--on the last night of the cruise.  I stand up, hand them the envelope and personally thank them for their outstanding service for the entire cruise.

Now, I have read, from you folks doling out the ones and the twos every night, that among the main reasons you do this is that you want them to "remember you" on following nights...that you believe it will elicit better service for you on those nights.  I say that is wrong.  First, I've never done that--I've always tipped my extra on the last night and the service has never been anything but stellar in spite of that.  And, second, it is the WRONG reason to tip...You tip in appreciation of the service you have received, NOT in pursuing some future service.

Again, I just DON'T carry cash around the ship with me all cruise long...

I do cruise a lot...and, believe it or not, my bar waiters do remember me--from cruise to cruise...

I always recall the story of how I was on the Celebrity Constellation in 2007...and a young woman from South Africa who was one of the Assistant Cruise Directors ran up to me when she first saw me onboard and said "Do you remember me?  I was your bar waitress on Millennium in 2003!"  She had been promoted all the way up from bar server to Assistant Cruise Director...and somehow remembered me from a cruise FOUR YEARS earlier!  And I had never tipped her by singles OR by $2 bills...

You are misunderstanding the situation for (I think) most of us.  I don't tip "to be remembered".  I tip for the good service I receive.  And I tip "per drink" because there are many servers and they rotate, and I prefer to tip the person who brings me my drink at that moment.  I don't think that we can assume that ALL servers in the Lounge pool their tips.  We don't know.  So I tip the person who serves me.  Sometimes I am in the Concierge Lounge, sometimes I am in the Diamond Lounge, sometimes I am at a bar.  A single envelope at the end of the cruise won't work.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

You are misunderstanding the situation for (I think) most of us.  I don't tip "to be remembered".  I tip for the good service I receive.  And I tip "per drink" because there are many servers and they rotate, and I prefer to tip the person who brings me my drink at that moment.  I don't think that we can assume that ALL servers in the Lounge pool their tips.  We don't know.  So I tip the person who serves me.  Sometimes I am in the Concierge Lounge, sometimes I am in the Diamond Lounge, sometimes I am at a bar.  A single envelope at the end of the cruise won't work.

So true.  We also rotate sometimes.  If someone chooses to do this like we do, it's really no one else's business.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

My way of thinking too.

We show our appreciation with $2 cash tip for the free drinks for Pauline and I at the time we receive them and certainly not for the expectations of better service than anyone else.

• Like 2

• Clarea locked this topic