!st time cruiser review...Nieuw Amsterdam-Holland America--April 2017

NieuwtoCrusing

Being a first time cruiser what I post will probably get the veteran cruisers saying, been there, done that and got the T-Shirt, but to any who may read that have never been on a cruise, I would like to share with you our group's experience aboard the Holland America line's Nieuw Amsterdam pronounced New Amsterdam.

The embarkation process moved very well and was not as long as expected and getting on the ship was a breeze. Have your luggage tagged with the tags they specify and you'll have no problems. Once on board your luggage will NOT be in your room so, start exploring the ship to find the buffets and the main dining rooms, also the ship has gorgeous art work and pictures to see throughout on every deck.

If you are a smoker and want to get a puff in, go to deck 9, the Lido deck and by the Seaview bar is where the designated area is. We booked cabins on the aft of the ship and were very satisfied with them in size, balcony area and storage areas in the room.

There were 4 ports of call which left out of Fort Lauderdale, the first being their private cay, second was the Cayman Islands, third was Cozumel and fourth was Key West, Florida. There were enough days at sea to satisfy our laid back group who themed our cruise " Booze Crusin together 2017" and we received many comments on our shirts that we all wore. We even had fellow cruisers wanting to join and get a shirt.

The first stop, their private cay was very clean, well organized and gorgeous. Tenders brought us ashore with plenty of room and were satisfactory in accommodation. The only excursion we did on their cay was the horse back ride, which we strongly recommend, even for first timers. The crew handling the stables are well trained and look out for safety first. The excursion encompassed a trail ride to the highest point on the cay, then a return to the stables for a cold drink while the crew changed saddles for a second ride, and this one was in the surf. Don't...take your camera or phone on the second ride, Holland takes pictures of you in the surf that you can, if you desire, purchase later on disk.

Second stop the Caymans where the ship used it's life boats as tenders and that also went well, even though we had some rise in the seas, Holland had many crew members to ensure the transfer from ship to boat was safe, they did a great job. The Caymans are the Caymans and there are may excursions to do as we all are suited to different tastes, We decided to go it on our own, walking, shopping and sight seeing and of course had a little difficulty leaving Margaritaville, only because we... wanted to stay.

Third stop Cozumel, tourist orientated and many shops. You can bargain with the prices and here we also did not do excursions. We followed the Cayman routine. In shopping, don't be afraid to walk away from a bad price on any item you may be interested in as you will be asked on the way out how much you would pay, then you put your skill to work. Good shopping skills pay off and any reasonable price from the asking price is usually accepted.

Last stop, Key West and return to good old American soil. Key West is a very quaint place, dotted with cute houses, marinas, bar stops and many places to eat. We did the Hard Rock Cafe and were satisfied with the meal and service.

No excursions here either, since being a first time cruiser we want to see what all the stops had to offer and it's possible we missed some, but hey, there's always a next time. One suggestion, taking the walk to 0 latitude to see the end of American soil and the Cuba bouy was not worth the walk to us, maybe it will be for you ?

Cozumel and Key West had docks to walk directly off the ship.

In closing and summary, our group gives Holland America an "A" for service, food and the portion size with variety, along with a "A" for the service of the crew. While dining in the Manhattan restaurant our wait staff never quit and were hard working as we finished one course, the plates were removed promptly and the next course served immediately. Here the waiters deserve an A+++ rating from us and we appreciated their service very much. On tipping, I would like to say that an article I read on Cruise Critic about tipping helped me tremendously. The gentleman who wrote about the American $2 bill is spot on in his assessment and guidance, I thank you sir for the advice, never would have known, except for the boards at Cruise Critic. Looking forward to the next cruise and a big thanks to Cruise Critic for what you do, all the advice I read helped in guiding me along and to all who take the time to post and share, please....continue to do so.

Thanks to all !!!

Thanks for your question concerning Tamarind...while we did not visit it, comments we heard in conversation from others is that yes, it is Asian style, the lunch is free, however dinner is a paid experience. No negative comments were garnered from other cruisers in our conversations with them.

Also, thank you for the welcome to the boards to all...

Wow. I was on the same cruise that departed Port Everglades on Apr 02. I agree with the review of the N.A. But would also add that they have a great BB King band on board for those that like to dance and listen to blues and Motown. I also enjoyed the Adagio group as well. Also, there are not too many cruise lines that serve lobster for dinner on the Lido deck! Great cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Being a first timer I gladly take your word on the lobster, a few in our group, had more than 1 that evening.

We missed the blues band mostly because of being tired with all the walking we did, so we decided to chill out

and grab a few drinks at the seaview bar, and then headed in for the night.

Thanks for your comments and agreement on the rating.

Let me offer my welcome to CC as well and thank you for a very good review of your cruise. My two most recent cruises (in December/January) were on Nieuw Amsterdam. She is my favorite of the two Signature Class vessels. Cuisine, service, everything fully met the expectations of my traveling companion and me.

I am glad that your experience was so enjoyable for you!

Great cruise report...and timely.

We're sailing her in August, essentially our maiden voyage, because our only other cruise, 20 years ago, was a 3-day to Bahamas, on the NCL's Leeward, a converted ferry.

We've booked an Inside, on the 6th deck. The layout is a rectangle, parallel to the hallway, door in the middle. Anyone have experience with that configuration? Is it a larger room?

Edited by cruisePack842
additional question.

Great cruise report...and timely.

We're sailing her in August, essentially our maiden voyage, because our only other cruise, 20 years ago, was a 3-day to Bahamas, on the NCL's Leeward, a converted ferry.

We've booked an Inside, on the 6th deck. The layout is a rectangle, parallel to the hallway, door in the middle. Anyone have experience with that configuration? Is it a larger room?

Best to ask your cabin question on the HAL board at this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

• 2 weeks later...
Being a first time cruiser what I post will probably get the veteran cruisers saying, been there, done that and got the T-Shirt, but to any who may read that have never been on a cruise, I would like to share with you our group's experience aboard the Holland America line's Nieuw Amsterdam pronounced New Amsterdam.

The embarkation process moved very well and was not as long as expected and getting on the ship was a breeze. Have your luggage tagged with the tags they specify and you'll have no problems. Once on board your luggage will NOT be in your room so, start exploring the ship to find the buffets and the main dining rooms, also the ship has gorgeous art work and pictures to see throughout on every deck.

If you are a smoker and want to get a puff in, go to deck 9, the Lido deck and by the Seaview bar is where the designated area is. We booked cabins on the aft of the ship and were very satisfied with them in size, balcony area and storage areas in the room.

There were 4 ports of call which left out of Fort Lauderdale, the first being their private cay, second was the Cayman Islands, third was Cozumel and fourth was Key West, Florida. There were enough days at sea to satisfy our laid back group who themed our cruise " Booze Crusin together 2017" and we received many comments on our shirts that we all wore. We even had fellow cruisers wanting to join and get a shirt.

The first stop, their private cay was very clean, well organized and gorgeous. Tenders brought us ashore with plenty of room and were satisfactory in accommodation. The only excursion we did on their cay was the horse back ride, which we strongly recommend, even for first timers. The crew handling the stables are well trained and look out for safety first. The excursion encompassed a trail ride to the highest point on the cay, then a return to the stables for a cold drink while the crew changed saddles for a second ride, and this one was in the surf. Don't...take your camera or phone on the second ride, Holland takes pictures of you in the surf that you can, if you desire, purchase later on disk.

Second stop the Caymans where the ship used it's life boats as tenders and that also went well, even though we had some rise in the seas, Holland had many crew members to ensure the transfer from ship to boat was safe, they did a great job. The Caymans are the Caymans and there are may excursions to do as we all are suited to different tastes, We decided to go it on our own, walking, shopping and sight seeing and of course had a little difficulty leaving Margaritaville, only because we... wanted to stay.

Third stop Cozumel, tourist orientated and many shops. You can bargain with the prices and here we also did not do excursions. We followed the Cayman routine. In shopping, don't be afraid to walk away from a bad price on any item you may be interested in as you will be asked on the way out how much you would pay, then you put your skill to work. Good shopping skills pay off and any reasonable price from the asking price is usually accepted.

Last stop, Key West and return to good old American soil. Key West is a very quaint place, dotted with cute houses, marinas, bar stops and many places to eat. We did the Hard Rock Cafe and were satisfied with the meal and service.

No excursions here either, since being a first time cruiser we want to see what all the stops had to offer and it's possible we missed some, but hey, there's always a next time. One suggestion, taking the walk to 0 latitude to see the end of American soil and the Cuba bouy was not worth the walk to us, maybe it will be for you ?

Cozumel and Key West had docks to walk directly off the ship.

In closing and summary, our group gives Holland America an "A" for service, food and the portion size with variety, along with a "A" for the service of the crew. While dining in the Manhattan restaurant our wait staff never quit and were hard working as we finished one course, the plates were removed promptly and the next course served immediately. Here the waiters deserve an A+++ rating from us and we appreciated their service very much. On tipping, I would like to say that an article I read on Cruise Critic about tipping helped me tremendously. The gentleman who wrote about the American $2 bill is spot on in his assessment and guidance, I thank you sir for the advice, never would have known, except for the boards at Cruise Critic. Looking forward to the next cruise and a big thanks to Cruise Critic for what you do, all the advice I read helped in guiding me along and to all who take the time to post and share, please....continue to do so.

Thanks to all !!!

Thanks for excellent newbie review [emoji846] we are also newbies on Nieuw Amsterdam on Alaska cruise out of Vancouver on May 6th and have aft balcony stateroom on deck 5 so would be great to hear your thoughts on aft position. Have Dinners booked in Tamarind and Pinnacle so looking forward to that. Also smokers so leper venue now located [emoji56] These forums have been fantastic in helping us to decide on taking a cruise and on what to do, thank you all [emoji3]

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=GrumpyNormanG&date=5-6-2017&text=&ship=Nieuw Amsterdam

Thank you for your reply and no doubt you'll enjoy the Alaska tour. From my understanding Holland's ships have a shallow enough draft to actually get inside of the bays. As for the restaurants, we did not eat in either so I have no feedback in that regard other than from other guests we overheard that the lunch was good in Tamarind, and it may still be free, so check that out.

No, you're not a leper because you smoke. Others have their problems who do not smoke so the only thing I see is that the smoke is pungent to those who do not smoke. In respect of that, I understand, so head up to deck 9, the Lido deck and on the starboard side of the ship, an area is set aside for those who smoke. It has tables, chairs, ashtrays and some umbrellas. Most of the time we outnumbered those who did not smoke on the upper deck. There is also the Seaview bar in the middle of the back deck between smoking and non-smoking, so the watering hole isn't far away.

We also had aft balcony cabins, three together to be exact on deck 6. My wife wanted it because she loves sunsets, the ship's wake and the ability to look 180 degrees. They are not for everyone, however if you chose it, you must have already had one previously, so, it won't disappoint. We stored our two large suit cases under the bed, used the drawers on both sides of the bed and the storage space was adequate for us to hang clothes. The fold down shelves inside the closets also provide a good amount of space if you're not hanging clothes. The shower-tub also has a clothes line for drying anything you need dry and the body wash, conditioner and shampoo are great so use the dispensers on the wall, you'll probably not be sorry.

Hope this helps, enjoy your cruise, bring some $2 to tip when you get good service and it will serve you well.

In closing, I hope you did not miss in the post not to sell the buffet short. We were treated to lobster one night so check.

Also, we had table twelve in the Manhattan restaurant for dinner and our service was A+++. Cannot commend them enough and did tip them handsomely for they service, which they deserved.............................................................

NieuwtoCrusing

Thanks for the great review. I enjoy hearing feedback from newbies. Nieuw Amsterdam is a great ship. I did the same itinerary you did on the Eurodam. HAL's crew is the best.

Roz

Thank you both for your comments and replies. When first visiting these boards it was noted there were poor ratings, all the way up to great, 5 circles. For the 1st time readers please note what helped me.

In fairness to all, some things aggravate one, where another, just lets it fly. So, read the posts from all knowing that they took the time to post, in that it means whatever they posted, means something to them that you should be aware of, good or bad and then make your judgment of a line, ship or condition. Remember, nothing's perfect in our world.

Again, thanks to all who post regardless if it's a good review or a bad one in the eyes of the poster, the site and ratings helped our group pick our line and destination for our first cruise based on what was posted here, at cruise critic, by you........GOD Bless...