Self Serve Laundry aboard Viking Ocean Ships

60andhappy

We will be on the Sea in November in the Caribbean, so I was very happy to see this information about the washers and dryers. The picture of the control panel on the washer was puzzling to me. I can figure out the setting icons on the left bottom, but what do those 2 rows of icons mean at the top? I am thinking maybe #1 means very dirty loads; maybe #2 is whites? #3 might be permanent press? #4 delicates? But what about #5 and #6? And what about the 2 icons to the right of the time indicator? If anyone can shed some light on this, I would be so grateful!

I think this is how it works. Press buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 and you get the settings that Snookie has suggested. Each one has a different combination of Water Temp, Spin Speed and Dirt, which will be indicated on the lower left. BUT, you can personalize those quick settings using the three buttons on the lower left (water temp, spin and dirt). Or you can just set Temp, Spin and Dirt--and completely avoid buttons 1-4. (Don't most of already know what we like for washing?)

Button 5 looks like it is a rinse and spin cycle. Select this if you want a second rinse (good if you are sensitive to strange detergents). I don't know if you use it to add a second rinse to what you have already chosen or if you have to wait for the first cycle to finish and then set it and start it again.

Button 6 (the strudel) looks to be a spin only cycle. Jeans or towels may need an extra spin before going into to the dryer. Or if you want to extract more moisture before hanging to dry.

To the right of the time to finish light are what I think are two indicator lights. These two aren't as easy to decipher as the rest. The bottom one might be a fill indicator or a rinse cycle indicaor and no idea what the top one is trying to say (certainly not referring to an agitator).

And our course the lock means, "You can't open the door now, you fool, I'm full of water."

• Thanks 1

I have done laundry twice but have not mastered programming yet. However, clothes are clean and detergent seems to be almost fragrance free. You must push the bottom (as posted in picture) to dispense detergent, there is a sign on washing machine asking that you not use our own detergent but I am sure if there is a personal issue with the provided detergents you could easily put your own into the machine before shutting the door.

• 2 weeks later...

My previous post is in error. Sorry. I was just reading this thread and did not mean to post the previous post. I must have done something strange in Tapatalk on my iPad.

I do appreciate the information in this thread as we will be onboard the Sky in December. The instructions will be very helpful!

I have done laundry twice but have not mastered programming yet. However, clothes are clean and detergent seems to be almost fragrance free. You must push the bottom (as posted in picture) to dispense detergent, there is a sign on washing machine asking that you not use our own detergent but I am sure if there is a personal issue with the provided detergents you could easily put your own into the machine before shutting the door.

Wow, do I really disagree with that last bit of advice. The washer are front loaders that need the HE low sudsing detergent. You can't use just any detergent in them without causing problems and that's why Viking is asking you not to use your own detergents, even if you do have sensitivity issues. When Viking supplies the detergent, they can be assured that the washing machines and any other of the water handling systems on the ship will not be damaged or interrupted by the detergent.

• Thanks 1

My previous post is in error. Sorry. I was just reading this thread and did not mean to post the previous post. I must have done something strange in Tapatalk on my iPad.

I do appreciate the information in this thread as we will be onboard the Sky in December. The instructions will be very helpful!

Doesn't it just drive you nuts when that happens! But, don't worry, that post seems to have disappeared. Maybe the moderators saw it and deleted it.

Doesn't it just drive you nuts when that happens! But, don't worry, that post seems to have disappeared. Maybe the moderators saw it and deleted it.

Yes, the post was deleted. It was a quote of your instructions with no reply from me. I should know better than to watch a movie and do Cruise Critic at the same time with Tapatalk.

I will probably need to print off your instructions and picture of the panel to take on the ship! I am not very domestic, but do have an HE machine so I know about HE detergent. lol.

I will probably need to print off your instructions and picture of the panel to take on the ship! I am not very domestic, but do have an HE machine so I know about HE detergent. lol.

The detergent on the ship is HE, green and eco friendly, no perfumes, no dyes, etc. I recognize the brand from the year I was in foodservice and now can't remember it or find it online to share with everyone. DH has sensitive skin and did not have a problem with it. Rinse twice or three times if you are concerned.

Currently on the SKY....there is a British film crew on board for a reportedly popular show about cruising with Jane. Did a segment in the laundry room! Jane told the story is a lady on a previous trip who put out of order signs on a washer/drier so that they would be available for her!

• Haha 1

Currently on the SKY....there is a British film crew on board for a reportedly popular show about cruising with Jane. Did a segment in the laundry room! Jane told the story is a lady on a previous trip who put out of order signs on a washer/drier so that they would be available for her!

LOL. Of only it would work that way! In real life, the housekeeping staff is in and out of the laundry rooms and would have the repair crew in and the signs down before you could blink twice.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise. :cool:

A question about their laundry service: does anyone know if you can sort loads so that they are done differently, as you would at home? I wouldn't be surprised if they used only high temperature washing and high temperature drying, which could shrink some items so that they would no longer fit.

A question about their laundry service: does anyone know if you can sort loads so that they are done differently, as you would at home? I wouldn't be surprised if they used only high temperature washing and high temperature drying, which could shrink some items so that they would no longer fit.

I would be surprised if they​ do use hot water and high heat dry. They aren't washing sheets and towels and they don't want a lot of angry guests. We sent laudry out multiple times and everything came back just fine. I may have even requested cold water or hang dry for a couple of items. I'm sure they​ sort whites, lights and darks as well since my white shirts came just as white as they went in.

But, yes, you can sort your laundry. Just ask your steward for additional bags. There is a space on the slip for special instructions.

Great to know about the laundry service. We were on the Viking Star from Venice to Barcelona in April 2016 and I spent a lot of time going back and forth to the laundry room, waiting for a machine to become available. Sometimes, after finishing a wash, there was no dryer open, because someone had split their wash load into two dryers. I don't want to be dealing with that again. We're doing Into the Midnight Sun this June and I'll certainly use the laundry service.

Great to know about the laundry service. We were on the Viking Star from Venice to Barcelona in April 2016 and I spent a lot of time going back and forth to the laundry room, waiting for a machine to become available. Sometimes, after finishing a wash, there was no dryer open, because someone had split their wash load into two dryers. I don't want to be dealing with that again. We're doing Into the Midnight Sun this June and I'll certainly use the laundry service.

Your post just made me second guess myself. Maybe we will send out shirts and pants and only wash our unmentionables. I hate the laundry game.

The prices to send out laundry are very reasonable.

What Richard2 described is exactly why when I am on vacation I let everything but personal under items be washed for me.

Having a fairly priced laundry service, as well as free laundry self serve available to choose from completely satisfies all laundry choices!

I thought I wouldn't want to spend time doing laundry on vacation but I found I sorta liked it. Call me wierd . But I actually find folding laundry a relaxing thing to do. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You may end up doing a combination of self serve and sending out depending on how your days go.

Our upcoming trip has several sea days....if I happen to walk by an uncrowded laundry room on one, I may just pop a load in.....but I am guessing everyone will be thinking the same thing!:')

Flexibility.

Your post just made me second guess myself. Maybe we will send out shirts and pants and only wash our unmentionables. I hate the laundry game.

Absolutely. It sounds good, but only if you don't care about how you are spending your time. There is one laundry room with three washers and three dryers on each deck for more than 80 rooms. You walk down the hall with your laundry and all the machines are being used, and someone is sitting there already waiting for the next one. It's not like you can take a number or reserve a time slot. It is back and forth until you get lucky. Then you have to remember to go back at the right time to move the load from the washer to the dryer (if a dryer is available), because if you forget, your wet laundry will be put on the counter. Then it is a third trip to get it out of the dryer at the right time.

That's what we do, washing those unmentionables in the shower each morning rather than the sink. Works very well for us, especial since we bring only 5 shirts each and I'm not spending my whole vacation doing laundry.

• Thanks 1

Well Peregrina, another great tip from you! The shower vs the sink! :D

Yeah, and hubby does his own. That's real important. Otherwise might as well use the washing machine. We use shampoo, so we don't have to carry more stuff. The shampoo on the ship is lovely.

I am loving this thread. There is some great info on here. I feel validated that there are people who are just as OCD as me!!! ;) I truly mean this in the kindest sense of the meaning. Thanks for the wonderful suggestions!!