Is it safe to get off ship in Nassau

Nassau Bahamas is nasty. You can only walk on the first 2 streets parallel to where you port is what they all tell you when "leaving" the port area. We knew this in advance, so we took an excursion on a boat, then walked the area close to the port afterwards. If I never went there again I'd be happy. Id rather go to Jamaica or Cozumel any day. Another fun one, believe it or not is Progresso

You were told you were only permitted to walk two streets from the port area? That's crazy! We have been to Nassau several times and walk all over the city: to the Queen's Staircase, Adastra Gardens and Zoo, Junkanoo Beach etc. We found an online self-guided walking tour a couple of years ago and it was a great way to spend the day. We saw the sites already mentioned plus multiple historic buildings, the library (originally a jail), several government buildings, Greycliff and on and on.

I stayed at the resort for a week last year. The security is very tight but very friendly. They watch everything. I felt safe even when I left the resort. I stayed on the main roads and I asked security what I should avoid before I left the resort. They have lots of helpful tips. I found the people to be some of the nicest people I have encountered. They are facing extreme poverty and the people have a hard time finding jobs. The one resort that never opened really caused the unemployment to skyrocket. People thought they had jobs but did not. The waiters at the restaurants in the resort we were told take the leftover food home. That may not be true, but the restaurant potions are so huge it is embarrassing.

I stayed at the resort for a week last year. The security is very tight but very friendly. They watch everything. I felt safe even when I left the resort. I stayed on the main roads and I asked security what I should avoid before I left the resort. They have lots of helpful tips. I found the people to be some of the nicest people I have encountered. They are facing extreme poverty and the people have a hard time finding jobs. The one resort that never opened really caused the unemployment to skyrocket. People thought they had jobs but did not. The waiters at the restaurants in the resort we were told take the leftover food home. That may not be true, but the restaurant potions are so huge it is embarrassing.

We were told basically the same thing at a resort there. Seems now there is more poverty than in the past thus more crime.

Another time on a port stop we went to Senor Frogs in the evening. We left with a group of others going back to the ship. There were police all along the way.

Nassau seems to be making an effort to keep tourist safe.

Haven't been mugged or murdered yet. So far so good. ;p

We feel a lot safer in Nassau (been there many, many times) than lots of other towns/cities

in the world. We always get off the ship and find something interesting to do. :cool:

Let's see... There was a shooting in Paris this week. There were shootings in NYC this week - and it's not unheard of for people to be pushed on the subway tracks. Pretty sure there have been things in lots of high tourist areas. Are you going to avoid them all??

When it's your time, it's your time. Period. If you avoid the universe's Plan A for you, Plan B will get you.

You have two choices - live your life to the fullest or stay "safe" in your house. You'll end up dead either way because no one gets out of life alive.

There were 334 murders in Manhattan last year, almost a record low. My daughter is there right now, it's one of the safest cities. We feel safe there, and in Nassau. Just have your wits about you. Tourists are usually not the targets in either city.

There were 334 murders in Manhattan last year, almost a record low. My daughter is there right now, it's one of the safest cities. We feel safe there, and in Nassau. Just have your wits about you. Tourists are usually not the targets in either city.

But they are in Orlando, FL. :o

The one resort that never opened really caused the unemployment to skyrocket. People thought they had jobs but did not. The waiters at the restaurants in the resort we were told take the leftover food home. That may not be true, but the restaurant potions are so huge it is embarrassing.

Good news, the Baha Mar finally opened (some sections, anyway) on April 21. They had five days of events for the 1700 employees before opening; there is a video on their Facebook page, and it looked like the employees were really enjoying themselves.