Tipping yacht club

Viva123

13 minutes ago, LauraBCruizer said:

I've seen that and have discussed w/several of the management staff multiple times & while that is what many cruise lines have on their sites, I've also been told that the Butlers on MSC YC specifically are not included in the DSC (among others) and therefore are not prohibited from accepting gratuities if they provide exceptional service ... 

Have not heard this before , wonder if you are thinking of NCL Haven. There they specifically state that concierge and butlers are not included in DCS.  

Have not heard that about MSC. 

We have always kept our DSC in place and tipped those in YC whose service we appreciated.

11 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Butlers in the YC certainly ARE included in the DSC!  I believe they may not be on other cruise lines.

Absolutely correct, and they do not swarm around you looking for additional tips....we order in-cabin breakfast (which incidentally is fabulous) for early start tour days and always tip $10 each time. For special service in other aspects we would do similar as we go along....we do not tip additional at beginning or end, preferring to tip special service at the service point. 

• Like 1

My wife and I will be cruising for 11 nights in the YC aboard the MSC Divina in February of 2020.  We have both been billed  for MSC's "Pre-Paid Gratuities in the amount of $12.50 each, Per Day. We follow that cruise with 14 days aboard the Seaside for which we have been billed the same daily amount.  The total is  $625.00 in gratuities pre-paid.  

I have always believed in tipping based on service, and still believe that way.  However, when gratuities are imposed on all guests, as part of the cruise fare to be paid in full on certain date prior to boarding.  This is a corporate decision, that makes the art of tipping no longer to be expected by crew members.  I would prefer to decide the issue of tipping myself and keep it personal between myself and members of the staff, but it seems that mandatory gratuities are now the rage for most Cruise Liines!😉

• Like 1

On 10/13/2019 at 4:41 AM, Beamafar said:

Butlers in the YC certainly ARE included in the DSC!  I believe they may not be on other cruise 

I can only go by what I've been told & I personally just got off a 17 night YC sailing & was told by the Concierge, guest services in the main area of the ship & management pre cruise that Butlers were specifically not included.  I asked for a breakdown of the DSC by the Concierge and was told it was essentially for those we "dont see" who are behind the scenes.   This was less than a week ago.  This has been repeated to me multiple times and on multiple ships in YC over the years since we always want to make sure we are doing the right thing (because we too saw what's listed on the website).... My husband ONLY tips for outstanding service and he is usually chasing the different Butlers & servers in YC down to thank them properly... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

MSC needs to find a way that butlers don´t earn 50 times more than room stewards do.

Why should there ever be a cap on how much an enterprising soul tries to earn to send home to feed his impoverished family?

P.S. Trying to keep a brother down !

Edited by rattanchair
P.S.

8 hours ago, LauraBCruizer said:

I can only go by what I've been told & I personally just got off a 17 night YC sailing & was told by the Concierge, guest services in the main area of the ship & management pre cruise that Butlers were specifically not included.  I asked for a breakdown of the DSC by the Concierge and was told it was essentially for those we "dont see" who are behind the scenes.   This was less than a week ago.  This has been repeated to me multiple times and on multiple ships in YC over the years since we always want to make sure we are doing the right thing (because we too saw what's listed on the website).... My husband ONLY tips for outstanding service and he is usually chasing the different Butlers & servers in YC down to thank them properly... 

So, according to this, the DSC would not cover your waiter, asst. waiter or housekeeper, since they are not "behind the scenes."

Doesn't make much sense when you look at it this way, does it?

Just sayin'!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tnt10 said:

So, according to this, the DSC would not cover your waiter, asst. waiter or housekeeper, since they are not "behind the scenes."

Doesn't make much sense when you look at it this way, does it?

Just sayin'!!

I think the Concierge was telling a fib...just to stimulate the tips.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Gordoncruickshank said:

I think everyone needs to be aware that anything that any crew member tells you about tips is going to be slanted towards maximising the potential rewards rather being a straight up, honest answer. 

Agreed!!

Bottom line for me:  Do what I feel is appropriate for my experience.

Some recent posts about dress for dinner in the YC at times does not reflect the kind of experience that I expect to receive--and for which I am paying a higher per diem--than I have ever paid for my Royal Viking Line cruises or my Grand World Voyage.

5 hours ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

I just got off the phone with MSC yacht club CSR 

Butler is included in DSC.

Thank you for this information.  If I choose to offer an additional gratuity to the Butler, I will do so based upon my previous additional gratuities for staff members on other cruise lines who serve me.  

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Thank you for this information.  If I choose to offer an additional gratuity to the Butler, I will do so based upon my previous additional gratuities for staff members on other cruise lines who serve me.  

I was surprised that the DSC would be $12.50/a day per person for  my YC cabin and for my regular balcony.  

I am always amazed by the questions on tipping.  It is a personal thing.  Don't tip if that is what you want to do.  Me and my wife, we pay the auto tip and will give more if we feel the service is up and beyond normal.  What is normal? We were in the Owners Suite on the Caribbean Princess two years ago.  We asked our room steward for MDR menues for each night so we could order diner in our suite.  He did not want to do it.  We did get them about an hour before diner on first night and usually by 3 pm the rest of the week.  The tips at the end of our cruise were half of what we normally would give.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 12:03 AM, Gordoncruickshank said:

I think everyone needs to be aware that anything that any crew member tells you about tips is going to be slanted towards maximising the potential rewards rather being a straight up, honest answer. 

Absolutely not true at least from the people I talked to about it the last two weeks. When I found out it was $12.50 p.p. per day versus $18 on Celebrity I asked several people, bartenders, room stewards, waiters and assistant waiters, if they knew what the competition paid their help, and if they did, why did they stay with MSC? Every single one of them told me they knew what the competition paid their help and they were very competitive and somewhat happy there. That tells me that MSC, which is privately held pays a higher base rate,  happy there. They don't have stockholders to make happy and probably not an upper management team that would sell their mother to make themselves an extra dime.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Absolutely not true at least from the people I talked to about it the last two weeks. When I found out it was $12.50 p.p. per day versus $18 on Celebrity I asked several people, bartenders, room stewards, waiters and assistant waiters, if they knew what the competition paid their help, and if they did, why did they stay with MSC? Every single one of them told me they knew what the competition paid their help and they were very competitive and somewhat happy there. That tells me that MSC, which is privately held pays a higher base rate,  happy there. They don't have stockholders to make happy and probably not an upper management team that would sell their mother to make themselves an extra dime.

I am always surprised that those questions get asked and the answers taken seriously. Even I just make stuff up and give random answers when other guests get too nosy or ask about stuff they clearly shouldn't have any interest in about me and my background or finances.

No one should expect the crew while employed by MSC, being on board of an MSC ship talking to a random stranger, where they can't be sure about their possible connections to the industry, tell them honestly about competition, working conditions, pay or any other contract details. Come on....

• Like 2

On 4/24/2017 at 6:41 PM, sandpiper35 said:

I just place myself I heir shoes. Should I be in the service industry at a level that is usual and customary to receive tips, I would never be insulted to receive a stipend. At any time. On the contrary, that would just be another dimension of measuring how much I pleased the customer.

Having spoken about the issue with many in the service industry, I find the only time they get insulted is by the absence or small amount of the rewards.

Cheers.

One of my friends did ask the butler about pre tipping and he said he found it insulting , like he was being bribed to do a good job. ( Europeans have a different mind set to some Americans, just a different culture )  The MSC butlers take pride in their service and of course an extra thank you in the form of a tip is welcome at the end, but not before they have even done anything for you. They would rather you mention their name on feedback forms as they get bonuses and promotions etc. Sometimes some people forget that people in the service industry are actually humans! I’ve seen some guests really shout at staff and treat them as personal slaves because they have more money than them. I always go over to those staff afterwards and tell them what a great job they are doing and how appreciated they are. 

• Like 2

On 10/21/2019 at 10:37 AM, onetimearoundtheworld said:

I am always surprised that those questions get asked and the answers taken seriously. Even I just make stuff up and give random answers when other guests get too nosy or ask about stuff they clearly shouldn't have any interest in about me and my background or finances.

No one should expect the crew while employed by MSC, being on board of an MSC ship talking to a random stranger, where they can't be sure about their possible connections to the industry, tell them honestly about competition, working conditions, pay or any other contract details. Come on....

Some of us aren't cynics and believe most of what people tell us until proven otherwise. We dealt with these people several times a day, for two weeks, I think we were way past the random stranger stage. There was no amounts discussed. Do you know what the competitors pay? There are three answers, yes, no, I'd rather not talk about it. If they were to lie, like some posters believe in, they would say they are grossly underpaid looking for more, bigger tips. All they said was, over all they were paid competitively and treated fairly. A couple of them worked for MSC for over 20 years, if they weren't compensated appropriately, they would have left a long time ago.