Walking around the ships with plates of food

On my first 3 cruises there were no buffets, all meals were in the DR, breakfast, lunch & dinner, no pool attire allowed. If you wanted to stay at the pool they would set up a small buffet - hamburgers, hot dogs some salads, you take your plate back to lounge chair and eat there.

The first Windjammer I saw was on the Majesty of the Seas in 1992. The plates were more like trays, then they went to plates and trays and now the trays are gone.

taking food that is not covered is real bad but what is worse is people young and old with dirty hand picking nose and rubbing face and nose picking up food in wj with dirty hands fingering everything picking up a plate and fingering it looking at the food then putting it back in the stack plates they fingered up nasty

We've never carried a plate of food around a ship, but I guess I get it if you want to eat in the room.

The ones that baffle me are the people who take it to the pool and sit there in the sun balancing it on their knees...........just doesn't look fun, comfortable or pleasant.

how else can you keep your chair saved if not to sit on it ;)

amen about the sun. on the private island last time i had 2 kids with me so we all carried back to our clamshell but that was hot and it was no fun balancing on knee!

That's what I do. Sometimes they let me into the Windjammer when there are no tables available, .

this statement infers WJ is capacity controlled with monitors at the doors? ive never heard of this before now

When I get pizza slices from Sorrento's to carry back to the room late night I always cover the on the plate with napkins. I have carried my main entrée and dessert from the MDR back to the room after I have eaten the salad soup and appetizer. Ask your waiter for the lids that they use when they bring it from the kitchen to cover it an they will happily give them to you along with silverware. :cool:

is this method of takeout universal in MDR on all RCI? if so thats fantastic. other lines wont let you carry stuff out.

is this method of takeout universal in MDR on all RCI? if so thats fantastic. other lines wont let you carry stuff out.

I have done it twice. I couldn't tell you if they do it across the fleet though.

Now what you really need to be fascinated about is people eating while they are still in line in the WJ. Can't they wait a couple more minutes until they are seated?

i think this should be cause for immediate walking of the plank. i know they are using the same hands as they do when they sit down and its all the same 'germs' so to speak but it indeed is fascinating why people cannot wait to sit down to eat. just disturbs me to see people in line eating already. maybe they are bored in line perhaps? maybe they figure eat their 1st plate in line and sit down for 2nd?

and seeing 2 plates stacked on top of each other..well that needs a new thread.

OK, so I read this thread til this end, then kinda beat myself up for doing that. WHY DOES ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND CARE WHAT ANYONE ELSE IS DOING WHEN IT COMES TO FOOD ON CRUISE SHIPS?????

Yeah, because everyone who posts here knows no one on this forum EVER discusses what others on the ship do, don't do, wear (or don't wear), how they behave, etc. said no one ever.

I usually just run down to get something from cafe promenade or Sorrento's in the middle of the night . They are after all 24 hours (or at least when I'm awake at odd hours of the morning). I take it to my room to eat, cause it's weird eating at that time down there when there's nobody there. I haven't tried taking food from the MDR back to my room, but that sounds like a new idea to try on my next cruise! Thanks! :D

I have done it a couple times when I feel to relax on my balcony. I dont worry about germs etc getting on it. A couple germs are good for me, Keeps my immune functions healthy.

And to the OP, No I am not worried about running out of dining options or the ship running out of food its just my balcony is a nice dining option at times.

I wonder if anyone tried to take the drawers from the room vanity or wardrobe to the WJ in order to take back more food ;p

In this pic it is junk food, but that could be pizza or Honey stung chicken:D

candydrawer.jpg

dp

I often go up when the buffet opens and make up a little appetizer plate with crackers, olives and cheese and take it back to the cabin. Sometimes I make up a little salad. My husband gets a few glasses of wine and we sit on the balcony and enjoy a quiet "happy hour" by ourselves.

Then a few hours later we go to the noisy dining room and enjoy our dinner.

Like others, we take food back to the room frequently. Usually it's just a couple of cookies after lunch but if there's nowhere to sit in the buffet or especially in an area like the Princess International Cafe, we'll take a plate back to the room. I wouldn't carry an overflowing plate, but see nothing wrong with normal amounts of food. With cruise lines taking more seating space away from the buffets to add 'For fee" dining areas (as Princess just did with the Caribbean Princess), there is even less seating available at peak lunch & breakfast times.

I would say normal practice is wandering around with plates of food?

Especially if your cabin is far away from the buffet or you have kids in the cabin/people who are mroe infirm.

We love getting food and headng back to our cabin after shows and having a 'pizza party' before bed.

It's a phenomenon that really fascinates me for some reason. Last cruise on the Allure about a month ago, I can't tell you how many times I was in a packed elevator with someone carrying plates full of food. Don't these people worry about germs lol? I am not a germaphobe, but the thought of people in close quarters breathing/sneezing/coughing all over a plate of food is disgusting. I can see if you are bringing it down for someone who isn't feeling well or has mobility issues....but the walking plates seemed like they were EVERYWHERE lol. Are people worried they may run out of dining options or that the ship might run out of food?

I'm writing this more just as an observation...I don't expect many of you to actually admit to doing this. I am alone in this observation?

I will often go to the buffet in the morning in order to bring DW breakfast in bed.

Train of thought....

This thread got me thinking about different things people do on cruise ships that raise question in the minds of others.

While carrying food around isn't something I do much, I have on occasion - so I'm sort of in the middle. But I must say I do not like to get started down the road of wondering about things people do on cruse ships which DO give me pause.

There are a lot of people doing a lot of things on cruise ships which I simply prefer not to think about --- focusing too much on them will simply put me off cruising entirely.

There are a lot of people doing a lot of things on cruise ships which I simply prefer not to think about --- focusing too much on them will simply put me off cruising entirely.

like how some people drink and drink and never get out of the hot tub or pool.

I take food down from the Windjammer every so often, no problem. This is a weird thing to be "fascinated" by.

Exactly. There are far too many folks who concern themselves with the actions of others.

Exactly. There are far too many folks who concern themselves with the actions of others.
Indeed and moreover presume that the actions they take are the "right" ones and that the actions other take are the "wrong" ones, without apply a reasonable basis for determining that - just their own self-ratification.

I read a post earlier today about Belize, and it got me thinking about how one could regard their fellow passengers visiting Belize: They could say that if you just go to the beach by the port, then you're not seeing the history of Belize or the people of Belize (except for souvenir hawkers), and so you're effectively missing the port. ("Why bother sitting on a beach in Belize rather than the Bahamas?") It wouldn't be a defensible point: We go cruising for different reasons, and someone else sitting on the beach in Belize doesn't prevent you from going out and visiting the ruins, so it isn't a "right" and "wrong" situation.

Define "concerning themselves".

This happens to be a discussion forum. We have read endless threads about dress code, jeans or shorts at dinner, capri pants on women, chair hogs, smokers, behavior of kids...all things people here "concern themselves" with on cruise ships. Some of which are bothersome to some, and not to others.

But one thing that has come out of this thread that I won't soon forget....do not ever, ever, ever question the eating habits of cruise ship passengers! Them there are fightin words!