Review of Viking Sky’s ‘Barcelona to the Baltic and Beyond’ April 2017

Off Shore

We have just returned from the Viking Sky and havesome very positive, and some negative observations.

Embarkation was painless, and when we told thecustomer service desk that Air France ‘lost’ our luggage, they volunteered tohave an emergency laundry done of the clothing from our Paris stay, and we hadclean clothes before dinner! TheCustomer Service commitment consistently shown by these people was impressive. Theship’s décor is handsome; not pretty. Ienjoyed the ‘Viking’ theme of the ship, and the stairs were decorated with scenesfrom the Bayeaux tapestry; an odd choice as the Normans ceased being Vikingsseveral generations before… The theaterhad adequate seating as did the restaurant; we never had to wait for atable. Torshavn is nice, but it was jammed with furniture and the dance floor is much too small. The double-level Explorer Lounge (again atoo-small dance floor) was our favorite spot on the ship.

We had a PH3 cabin that was wonderful. Large and roomy there was adequate storagefor a three-week cruise and the luggage fit under the comfortable bed. The suite had two TVs, a couch, two chairs,and a desk. The bathroom, with itsheated floor was excellent. One problemwith the TV was that it did not have ESPN or HGTV which are popular withAmericans, who are the vast majority ofthe passengers or even a programmed music channel. Another problem was the ‘coffee’ machine,which had a complicated 10 step procedure to operate and produced undrinkablesludge.

Entertainment was excellent considering the size ofthe ship. The production shows had goodspecial effects and the ensemble cast was young, vigorous and talented. We enjoyed the dance band Synchrony inTorshavn. We felt that the sea dayscould have had more activities. Therewas no Zumba or aerobic dance class, but the Trivial Pursuit was a vigorouscompetition. The lectures werewell-attended, and featured the British accented experts that Americans find soimpressive.

The free ‘ship’s tours were not very good. The one in Stockholm was a awful as we nevergot off the bus and the driver kept on going up and down the same streets…Helsinki was almost as bad. The paidtrips were not very good either; the tour to Schwerin and to the ‘frontier’towns near Cadiz were poorly guided. Thebest ships’ tours were of Copenhagen and Amsterdam. We formed a group of 16 with others on CruiseCritic, and hired our own private guide in St Petersburg, Alla Tours, and thiswas the highlight of our trip.

The worst disappointment of the trip was the qualityof the food. With the exception ofMommsen’s for breakfast (excellent waffles and service), the food was bad inall venues. The problem starts with thepoor structure of the menus. There were onlyminiscule amounts of fresh fruit available, usually in the form of a diced-upfruit salad. At lunch, only one stationwas available to serve and prepare mixed green salads. Mixed green salads werealso a rarity at dinner. The food wasoften mislabeled at the buffet: what they called ‘salade nicoise’ lacked tuna,and the turkey breast was merely a compacted roll of mostly dark meat. In the main dining room they ruined theseafood. We ordered lobster on two differentnights, and they were mushy and inedible; we were told that the lobsters ’musthave been stressed’. What they claimedwas grouper had the rubbery consistency of an old handball, as knives and forksseemed to bounce off. Except for thehalf-broiled chicken on the standard menu, very little chicken was served; butit was quite good when it was available. The beef and veal were excellent. The wines while inexpensive were quitedrinkable. The ‘American style ribs’were excellent, as was on occasion the freshly prepared pasta dishes.

The worst problems were with the specialtyrestaurants. We had a suite and had madereservations for six seatings, but only atethree times in these venues. The Chef’s Table has a very limited menu thatcycles every three days, and has no choices. I liked the lamb, but the others in our party didn’t like the dish andthe four of us could never agree on a posted menu. We also objected that every dish seemed toeither be covered with or to float on a sea of foam. We had awful experiences in Manfredi’s . Our reservations were re-timed against ourwishes by the incredibly arrogant maitre’d who never seemed to be able to sitour party of four. We had no choice butto ask Customer Service to intervene to eat there a second time. After this we gave up on the poorly spicedfood that lacked any ‘kick’, and poorly prepared pasta dishes; and the tiramisuwas a joke; some indeterminate piece of cake covered in whip cream. There are innumerable Italian restaurants inalmost any town in America that serve better food; even my dishes are superior.

Disembarkation in the non-existent terminal inStockholm was handled very well; and the ship’s transfers to the airport workedout well.

In spite of the negatives, mainly with food, we had agreat time and booked another cruise while on board.

Edited by Off Shore
misprints

Well, I agree with your complaint about ESPN not being offered but SO disagree with you about the food, which only goes to show just how subjective the issue of food is. The lack of "kick" is exactly what I like about the food on Viking. I dislike food that burns my mouth and hides the flavor of the main ingredients so I was very happy with the food on-board and can't wait to return in December.

As for the tours, you have to read carefully what is being offered on a tour. Many of the included tours are either walking tours or panoramic bus tours, that may stop and let you off in just one place (they are usually short tours that cover a lot of ground). If you want a more in-depth visit, then look at the optional offerings. Since Viking is not stopping multiple times per week in the various ports as it does on the river cruises, Viking contracts with local tour providers in each port and therefore has less control over the product. For sure, some ports are better equipped than others and even if the company is good, not all of the guides may be of equal quality. It is the same for all cruise lines; they depend on local contractors.

I am looking forward to our first Viking Ocean Cruise. I would never pay this much money for a cruise and hate the food and the included and/or paid tours. Considering that the OP booked again, I wonder how bad it really was.

Certainly there are comparably priced cruise lines with excellent food even possibly good tours although not included.

Dear Off Shore,

Thank you for this comprehensive assessment of your trip. While we are delighted to hear that your overall experience was enjoyable, we truly regret to learn about your dissatisfaction regarding the quality of our food and shore excursions.

Because we are always trying to improve our product, we would appreciate the opportunity to have a conversation with you to discuss your feedback. If you'd like to do the same, would you mind sharing your detailed review with our folks at TellUs@vikingcruises.com along with your booking information? That way, we will be able to address the issues you're describing head-on.

Off Shore, we thank you for giving us the chance to restore your faith in Viking by booking another cruise with us. We hope to hear from you soon and are looking forward welcoming you aboard once again.

Best,

Viking Cruises

We have just returned from the Viking Sky and havesome very positive, and some negative observations.

Embarkation was painless, and when we told thecustomer service desk that Air France ‘lost’ our luggage, they volunteered tohave an emergency laundry done of the clothing from our Paris stay, and we hadclean clothes before dinner!

In spite of the negatives, mainly with food, we had agreat time and booked another cruise while on board.

This is the itinerary that I have booked for April 2018.

Given the poor assessment of the quality of the cuisine, particularly in the speciality restaurants, over the 22 day duration of the cruise, I am intrigued as to the nature of the response to any complaints made by the OP, and/or others in the group, whilst on board.

Going off on a tangent, aren't all lobsters 'stressed' having been plunged alive into boiling water?

My husband were on the Homelands cruise last Sept, and we thought the food was outstanding-the Chef's Table was one of our favorites. We are going on our next cruise with Viking in June, and I am dieting so that I can indulge again, esp the gelato bar!!!!! I guess that if I thought the food was terrible, I certainly would not have booked another cruise.:o

My husband were on the Homelands cruise last Sept, and we thought the food was outstanding-the Chef's Table was one of our favorites. We are going on our next cruise with Viking in June, and I am dieting so that I can indulge again, esp the gelato bar!!!!! I guess that if I thought the food was terrible, I certainly would not have booked another cruise.:o

I'm with you, I'll eat salad and grilled fish and chicken at lunch if I can have the gelato at desert. Lol

I truly look forward to our cruise on the Star in two weeks and will definitely keep an open mind. After reading your disappointments, I just don't think they will be our feelings. ESPN and HGTV are by far not our favorite stations. We vacation in Cozumel yearly and don't get very many stations and we understand. It isn't home. Food on the other hand is subjective. I have read so many reviews that enjoy the food. It goes to show you that we are all individuals with different tastes.

I know that the original poster does not care that my husband and I loved the food on our recent Viking Star cruise. It may be worth noting, that there is a difference between food being bad and not liking the food. My husband hates cauliflower, I wouldn't eat a raw oyster on a dare, and neither of us like rare steak. That doesn't mean those things are bad food, just that we don't like them. We loved the Chef's Table, but were less impressed by Manfredi's. However, I will admit that in general, I do not love the food in Italy as much as the Americanized version I have eaten all my life. I would never presume to try to convince an Italian that my opinion was correct, just that it is my preference.

We can't wait to book another Viking cruise. I do wonder, given that "the food was bad in all venues" and both the included tours and the optional excursions were "not very good", why in the world has the OP booked another cruise with Viking?

I certainly appreciate reading the opinions of someone that has taken the time to post a review even if they do cause me some concern as I get ready for my first Viking cruise in two weeks, the Homelands on the Sky.

I've read so many positive comments about the food on a Viking Cruise that I hope my experience is not the same as the OP. I'm very relieved the Viking 'House Wine" was acceptable!!

I'd like to hear more about the included tours that were taken by the OP but did not meet expectations.

Thanks again for posting your review.

Deborah

1- We did return the lobster the second time and get steaks; and the 'grouper' was replaced by the house chicken. We have every right to expect excellence in the dining room, and that food should have flavor and be of the highest quality.

2- The included tours did vary in quality; but are best used as an introduction to a location.

3- As I said in the above comments, the pluses did far outnumber the minuses.

This thread reminds me of our one and only very brief (one night dinner+breakfast) experience a few years ago on their river division. Seated at crowded table for eight, I ordered the chicken and rib. "no dark meat, please." Waiter replies, "we only serve white meat on special occasions." He delivers one paltry rib about 3" long and a chicken thigh. While I was disgusted, the three other couples were totally happy. Kind of a repeat at breakfast with a family of six. They're all happy and three hours later we're cruising down the river on a Select Cruise boat. $10,000+ pissed away and just plain happy to have made the decision to escape.

Sure, food is subjective. Not serving berries, limited lettuce, ESPN is not subjective. They know most people just go along with the program and eat whatever crap is served. Even then, there is a good chance the disgruntled will repeat. Al least we're all happy.

This thread reminds me of our one and only very brief (one night dinner+breakfast) experience a few years ago on their river division. Seated at crowded table for eight, I ordered the chicken and rib. "no dark meat, please." Waiter replies, "we only serve white meat on special occasions." He delivers one paltry rib about 3" long and a chicken thigh. While I was disgusted, the three other couples were totally happy. Kind of a repeat at breakfast with a family of six. They're all happy and three hours later we're cruising down the river on a Select Cruise boat. $10,000+ pissed away and just plain happy to have made the decision to escape.

Sure, food is subjective. Not serving berries, limited lettuce, ESPN is not subjective. They know most people just go along with the program and eat whatever crap is served. Even then, there is a good chance the disgruntled will repeat. Al least we're all happy.

I read this opinion and I read your opinions from other postings. You don't mention whether you have been on a Viking ocean cruise. When you are constantly negative about everything then you enjoy nothing. I've been on Viking river cruises and I'm happily expecting to take my first ocean cruise. From the river cruises, I never received crap food, had that happen I would not have accepted it happily as you state. Viking river cruises always provided excellent food, drink and tours. If I'm disgruntled , I would never go back to Viking. I'm sure other wouldn't either. Why are you still taking cruises when you have such little respect for your fellow cruisers and you hate the food, the tours and feel like you are wasting your money. Curious

Thank you Fpacifico .. you said what I am (and likely others are) thinking. Very curious.

Actually, the whole story sounds like fiction as in completely made up. The description of the meal doesn't sound like anything I have ever seen on a Viking ship--not even in China or Ukraine. And I can't imagine how they were able to transfer to another ship so quickly considering most river cruises are usually booked to capacity--and if it wasn't booked to capacity, could it have been that much better than Viking? And don't you just want to know what they had to say about that cruise? (Yeah, me neither, it will be all complaints again).

The guy brings to mind the story of the waiter in Palm Beach who is overheard asking the table of older ladies he had been serving, "Is anything okay?" That punchline is now family shorthand for the chronic complainers, folks for whom nothing is ever good enough.

In two thread recently I have read posters complaining about the portions served by Viking. I actually prefer the smaller portions of the multi-course meals. It makes it easier to not overeat, yet still be pleasantly full. I certainly never left a meal hungry, and not as much food is wasted. On the other hand, I know that the waiters will bring additional portions, for anyone who would like more, or would like to try something else.

I just don't get the TV mentality. ESPN means nothing to us and I am pretty sure we aren't the only ones from the US. I go into vacations knowing I probably won't get my Food Network and Lifetime movies. I'm ok with it. For us, TV is far from a deal breaker. It's about enjoying the company of others, the relaxation and experiencing different countries.

In two thread recently I have read posters complaining about the portions served by Viking. I actually prefer the smaller portions of the multi-course meals. It makes it easier to not overeat, yet still be pleasantly full. I certainly never left a meal hungry, and not as much food is wasted. On the other hand, I know that the waiters will bring additional portions, for anyone who would like more, or would like to try something else.

I did a lot of research before our River Cruise and I kept reading about small portions and quite honestly, I got a little worried. We were pleasantly surprised that the portions and quality was perfect. Heading into our first Ocean cruise, I know that is not a worry. We will be fine.

River cruise portions are just fine. If not enough in a particular instance, they happily bring another serving. I eat more than the average guy and sometimes skip dessert. Maybe I'm drinking too much wine at dinner. Or maybe I ate too much of the too many too good to pass up options at the Aquavit Terrace buffet lunch.

No ESPN is a plus for me. Hope they continue to go out of business.