Review of Viking Sky’s ‘Barcelona to the Baltic and Beyond’ April 2017

Off Shore

We were on a cruise (not Viking) a few years back that when we left home, it didn't look like the SF Giants were going to do it......well they did. We were in a suite and asked the concierge if they would be playing the World Series (which would air middle of the night) on any of the channels or in a bar......she responded with 'what are the World Series?:eek:

Anyway, after much searching, DH thought he had it figured out, set his alarm, had his chair and TV positioned - - nope. No World Series on TV!!

He has tried to watch football and baseball while on various cruise lines - and the success rate I believe stands at ZERO. :o

He has tried to watch football and baseball while on various cruise lines - and the success rate I believe stands at ZERO. :o

Not being a great fan of football ( soccer), I had the opposite experience during the 2014 World Cup.

I was on the German ship Europa 2 where main matches were screened in the theatre, and secondary matches in the Jazz Club, followed by analysis by a panel of experts.

Not being a great fan of football ( soccer), I had the opposite experience during the 2014 World Cup.

I was on the German ship Europa 2 where main matches were screened in the theatre, and secondary matches in the Jazz Club, followed by analysis by a panel of experts.

It stuff like THIS that precipitated 1776 & 1812!!!!

We took a 4 days cruise to nowhere out of Los Angeles a number of years ago departing January 2--a booze cruise popular with many locals (my mistake). The BIG January 1 Los Angeles football game was rained out that year and scheduled to be played during the cruise. So, the ship arranged for the game to be broadcast in the main theater where they set up buffet dinner for those watching the game. The theater was jam-packed with crazed football fans.

There is no place on the internet to watch live sports? ESPN should have it. Some times if your not in the states you cant have access to some online content with your cable company so you cant watch everything on demand. The Viking Sea showed the superbowl live at the pool (really late at night) when we were on it. Almost every couple has an ipad or similar (so they can check in to CC) so something has to be available if we search google enough.

There is no place on the internet to watch live sports? ESPN should have it. Some times if your not in the states you cant have access to some online content with your cable company so you cant watch everything on demand. The Viking Sea showed the superbowl live at the pool (really late at night) when we were on it. Almost every couple has an ipad or similar (so they can check in to CC) so something has to be available if we search google enough.

Great thought but the ship's wifi would grind to a halt. The bandwidth is not large enough for so many people to be streaming at the same time. That is why Superbowl was shown at the pool.

Well, I agree with your complaint about ESPN not being offered but SO disagree with you about the food, which only goes to show just how subjective the issue of food is. The lack of "kick" is exactly what I like about the food on Viking. I dislike food that burns my mouth and hides the flavor of the main ingredients so I was very happy with the food on-board and can't wait to return in December.

As for the tours, you have to read carefully what is being offered on a tour. Many of the included tours are either walking tours or panoramic bus tours, that may stop and let you off in just one place (they are usually short tours that cover a lot of ground). If you want a more in-depth visit, then look at the optional offerings. Since Viking is not stopping multiple times per week in the various ports as it does on the river cruises, Viking contracts with local tour providers in each port and therefore has less control over the product. For sure, some ports are better equipped than others and even if the company is good, not all of the guides may be of equal quality. It is the same for all cruise lines; they depend on local contractors.

Peregrina, I agree with your assessment ... we have taken several Viking cruises and have learned to read the descriptions of the excursions carefully. "Panoramic tour" almost always means you will spend most of your time on a bus ... fine for those with mobility issues but we will almost always opt for a walking tour over a bus.

Food really IS subjective so I don't take others assessments too much to heart when reading reviews. We LOVED the Chef's Table ... the dishes weren't always a home run but they were interesting. I'm not a big fan of foams but really didn't mind the little that some of the dishes had. We were a little disappointed with Manfredis ... especially the steak that some gentleman described as being "worth the cost of the trip". That's a pretty high bar! It just didn't live up to the hype as far as I am concerned. We are anxious to try some more of Manfredi's offerings on our December trip ... I'm sure there are plenty of great options!

I read this opinion and I read your opinions from other postings. You don't mention whether you have been on a Viking ocean cruise. When you are constantly negative about everything then you enjoy nothing. I've been on Viking river cruises and I'm happily expecting to take my first ocean cruise. From the river cruises, I never received crap food, had that happen I would not have accepted it happily as you state. Viking river cruises always provided excellent food, drink and tours. If I'm disgruntled , I would never go back to Viking. I'm sure other wouldn't either. Why are you still taking cruises when you have such little respect for your fellow cruisers and you hate the food, the tours and feel like you are wasting your money. Curious

Did you miss the part where I said everyone around the dinner (and breakfast) table were very happy? We were the oddballs. We were in Amsterdam. Went for a walk after breakfast and spotted MS Royal Crown that looked interesting. They let us on board to tour and said they were leaving in two hours. Booked it and returned to pick up the luggage and check out. At the time, Royal Crown was chartered to Scenic. I was very surprised and happy about how quickly everything happened.

I'm curious about Viking Oceans, but 10 minutes on this site cured that interest. Loved the last sentence of your post.

Did you miss the part where I said everyone around the dinner (and breakfast) table were very happy? We were the oddballs. We were in Amsterdam. Went for a walk after breakfast and spotted MS Royal Crown that looked interesting. They let us on board to tour and said they were leaving in two hours. Booked it and returned to pick up the luggage and check out. At the time, Royal Crown was chartered to Scenic. I was very surprised and happy about how quickly everything happened.

I'm curious about Viking Oceans, but 10 minutes on this site cured that interest. Loved the last sentence of your post.

Based on your Ocean cruising history I'm surprised you even tried Viking Rivers. Did you do any research about river cruise lines before booking? You sail the most upscale ocean lines, but chose to skip the upscale river choices [of which Scenic is one]. Viking Oceans OTOH aims to be more upscale, aiming to disrupt the upper-premium category of ocean cruises -- but your reaction to this thread is probably prescient, and in any case this thread has apparently poisoned you against Viking Ocean so that you would not enjoy a cruise.

I'm thrilled there is no ESPN on the cruise:-) My husband gets out and about much more, without it. Having said that, this past two years, on the river (with Avalon and Uniworld) we got hooked on Snooker.......this year, we even knew the "top" players!

Robin

Glad you found what makes you happy in cruising, happy travels

We have just returned from the truly wonderful "around the outside" journey too. The ports were unique enough that they did not become "hum-drum" and there were enough sea days that we were able to enjoy the truly wonderful ship that the Viking fleet has developed. Was it perfect? of course not........we all have different tastes. If you want perfect you need to charter your own boat!

We were in the lowest cabin category!!!! The only complaint about that ....we purchased the "Premium Silver Package" and were not entitled to any mini-bar alcohol or soda. Calling room service for a glass of wine and a scotch while we showered and dressed for dinner was a hassle and frankly a stupid waste of the time for the room service bar staff! Our bathroom floor had been turned off by the previous guests but once we requested that it be turned on .........they were there!!! Warning ...if your cruise does not include the cooler itineraries you may NOT want it on, the floor really provides additional heat to the bathrooms.

We are not foodies....but we ( 2 couples) always felt that the main dining room offered plenty of choices. One of our group has a shellfish allergy and I was AMAZED at the care and consideration that the staff provided for his safety. Unlike the OP we enjoyed Manfredi's and will try to book there frequently on our next cruise! Originally we had booked each night of the Chef's Table but found the set menu not to everyone's liking and all the wine pairings were sometimes too much. We ate there 3 times and had great evenings ( the Asian menu was a little too spicey)

Provided Shore excursions for the most part were satisfactory. The glaring exceptions were for the first port Barcelona ( it did not include even a drive by of the Sacrada Famillia !) Fortunately we had spent 2 nights pre-cruise. The tour in Stockholm was also dreadful........we never got off the bus!!!!! Again fortunately we had a post cruise stay! Why did the tour guide not tell us " If any of you are staying be sure NOT to miss the changing of guard...it is remarkable with a band who plays on horseback!" Nope all she said was the guard changes at 12:15!!! as we drove by the palace and saw one lonely guard...not knowing that we were seeing the side of the building. thank goodness for trip advisor and cruise critic we did not miss it!!!!

We took an optional excursion to "Monet's Garden" the garden was in bloom and nothing can take away from that "AH..HAA...WOW" moment...it was spendid! We had a very nice include lunch next.......and a tour of Rouen. But the guide was DREADFUL, hard to understand and gave VERY poor commentary (not always accurate). The bus was dirty, windows streaked so we could not photograph through them, terrible leg room for my 6foor 2 inch husband and the microphone did NOT work so we eventually tried to use our voice boxes ( some people did not have enough charge). We had a wheelchair bound individual and guide did very little to help accommodate them. Viking did give us a "goodwill" 15% refund........too little too late! And by the way for leHarve port there should have been an included tour for those who chose NOT to travel to Paris!!!

Dear Viking.....PLEASE PLEASE make groups for those with mobility issues .... these individuals on our buses slowed the rest of us down and our tours were compromised. Why can't you offer groups like on the River Cruises for SLOW walkers? I get it that they paid for a cruise with included tours BUT so did I....let the wheelchairs, canes, walkers, enjoy the tours .....but please don"t make me feel like I should be lending a hand up and down stairs or down long steep streets or worse yet helping someone who has fallen!!!!

The STAFF on this ship from our experience was exceptional. They were friendly, courteous and professional. The officers were visible and approachable many times. Thanks Viking for the wonderful MEET and MINGLE ( how about name tags?) One morning The captain shared a family picture with me at breakfast of a surprising snowfall in his home town that produced havoc for his kids getting to school! The security officer shared some of his FABULOUS photographs!!! The room stewards were so friendly, ever present but almost invisible as they readied our rooms twice each day. Always remembering that I wanted 4 towels and assuring that we had ice at 4pm!!! The dining venue staff was great ....the chef came out from the kitchen table and chatted...........and what can I say about the bar tenders other than they are the BEST on the ocean!!!

The historians on the ship were very good...I saw some of the presentations on the TV later but heard rave reviews. NIce addition Viking!!! I was always too busy or tired to see them Live!!!

We thoroughly enjoyed this ship (the SKY), other passengers, staff, and ITINERARY!!!!

Maybe I really can do 4 months in January 2018; if this 3 weeks has been any indication of what is to come!!

The survey questions at the end of the cruise were a bit perplexing .....it asked about meeting expectations..............My expectations WERE very very high: thanks to cruise critics' forums rave reviews and all of Viking's glossy advertisements. Yes those expectations were met and sometimes even exceeded.

deec, wonderful review. Thank you. So glad that you enjoyed your cruise.

About not driving by Sagrada Familia. The area around SF can be pretty congested and it maybe that drive-bys for tour buses. are discouraged.

About special/separate buses for the mobility impaired. I'm with you! The guides have a schedule that they need to keep to and they have a whole group of people that they are responsible for.

Dee, I brought name tags from home for our meet and greet. One of Viking's staff said "oh, what a good idea" but I guess they never got any for future meets.

I also suggested that a slow walkers group be formed so the whole group would not be held back by a few. It's not fair to either group.

Glad you had a nice cruise.

Dee, I brought name tags from home for our meet and greet. One of Viking's staff said "oh, what a good idea" but I guess they never got any for future meets.

I also suggested that a slow walkers group be formed so the whole group would not be held back by a few. It's not fair to either group.

Glad you had a nice cruise.

Where did you get the name tags, thanks

Peregrina,

You were my role model.........if something did not go as I had envisioned, I remembered how you coped and managed to seemingly really enjoy your cancelled cruise. Lemons make fantastic lemonade with the the right recipe!!!! When I heard grumbling I excused myself from the conversation....I even smiled ever so sweetly one evening while waiting for a show and asked a very loud out-spoken woman if she might tell me ONE great thing that had happened to her since she boarded the ship. We enjoyed the show and she was silent!!

Peregrina,

You were my role model.........if something did not go as I had envisioned, I remembered how you coped and managed to seemingly really enjoy your cancelled cruise. Lemons make fantastic lemonade with the the right recipe!!!! When I heard grumbling I excused myself from the conversation....I even smiled ever so sweetly one evening while waiting for a show and asked a very loud out-spoken woman if she might tell me ONE great thing that had happened to her since she boarded the ship. We enjoyed the show and she was silent!!

Thank you deec, and in future tellings you can just completely delete those words in bold. We did most thoroughly enjoy our "cruise" with no softeners needed (arghh I hate when I lose vocabulary). Part of it was anticipation of our post cruise plans and part of it was the up-beat attitude of most people around us and part of it was that we just refused to indulge in negativity. DH, with a huge smile on his face, loves to tell everyone about our best "worst cruise ever."

Great way to handle the grumbler --that and seats as far away from her as possible. I don't think I could have ever confronted her the way you did--just not in my comfort zone.