? about travel insurance

Sunny AZ Girl

I am a firm believer in travel insurance, but as I was looking at my insurance for my upcoming Golden cruise in October I saw that you only have 10 days to cancel it after purchase. (I have CSA insurance through my TA.) If you can cancel your cruise without penalty up to 75 days before sailing, should you wait to buy your insurance at that point or do you need to buy it when you book as I did? It seems to me that if an emergency happens and you have to cancel your cruise before the 75 day mark you will lose out on the insurance money when purchased so far ahead as you will get a full refund on the cruise anyway. Am I right on this?

Ginny

Yes, Sunny you're right -- the insurance doesn't end up being refunded in most cases but as Aquarian stated if there are any pre-existing conditions then most of the 3rd party insurance require that you purchase it within either 7 or 14 days of deposit on the cruise. We purchase at deposit INCASE something happens and ends up being determined to be 'pre-existing'. Also, we've cancelled cruises for other reasons and booked others and just transferred the insurance to the new cruise - this works in most cases also.

Archived