Voyages to Antiquity

LandC

We are going on the AO in May and was just wondering about laundry. Is there a service (if so how much is it), or are there self serve machines, .... or just the bathroom sink to rinse out some things.

Also, do the men wear jackets at dinner?

Thanks

Laundry is available but has always been more expensive than what I have experienced on Holland America for example and they do not have a self service area. I was last on her in June.

Jackets are not required but most men do wear one. The dining room area is much dressier but the Lido Terrace, my favourite, is very casual.

** I always add this too - the AC runs full blast so take a wrap or a sweater.

Shar

Hi MarySB, we will also be on AO April 30 thru May 8 “Aegean Experience 1 Greece and the Islands. Any chance that’s your trip also?

Bozo5404 aka Diane

Hi Diane, looks like we are getting on when you are departing. We are on the May 8-18 th Ancient Greece and the Dalmatian coast.

Mary

Hi Mary, we had to book guarantee fare. Have you heard anything

negative about the cabins. So far we are inside and quite forward.

I am prone to motion sickness but travel well prepared. My only

real concern is noise as I am a very light sleeper. Any feedback is

appreciated. Have fun your itinerary sounds great.

Diane

Hi Mary, we had to book guarantee fare. Have you heard anything

negative about the cabins. So far we are inside and quite forward.

I am prone to motion sickness but travel well prepared. My only

real concern is noise as I am a very light sleeper. Any feedback is

appreciated. Have fun your itinerary sounds great.

Diane

Sorry Diane, haven’t heard about pros and cons of the rooms except what I have read in the reviews. I’m just going to go with whatever it is and call it an adventure. We’re in a forward outside on Belvedere Deck.

The Belvedere is a busy deck with the office, hair salon and the computer room. The good news is you should be able to pick up the wifi in your cabin. If not, there is a small lounge area by the desk that is very wifi accessible. I'll be back in a cave cabin (512 ) and I think the only problem might be noise from the Ambassador Lounge directly above as well as the ceiling air con unit.

Shar

Hi MarySB, we will also be on AO April 30 thru May 8 “Aegean Experience 1 Greece and the Islands. Any chance that’s your trip also?

Bozo5404 aka Diane

Hello Diane. We have booked Aegean Experience 1 departing October 1st. I have started a Roll Call but so far no replies, although there were only 3 cabins available when we booked, so it is obviously a very popular itinerary! I hope you have a great time on the cruise, and would be interested to hear about it on your return. Linda.

Hi Linda, hope this message is not duplicated. Was having trouble

this a.m. with website. We are getting excited as it is about 2 weeks

until the trip begins. I will give comments when we return. I hope you

enjoy your trip also. What’s not to like, beautiful country, beautiful weather

and interesting people to meet.

Diane

The dining room area is much dressier but the Lido Terrace, my favourite, is very casual.

** I always add this too - the AC runs full blast so take a wrap or a sweater.

Shar

Hi Shar, how dressy is the dining room - should I pack a dress? Or is a nice top and some costume jewellery with pants, the normal attire? I know on my river cruises I think I was the only one that packed a skirt :D

The Captain's cocktail party is usually the only time very fancy stuff comes out - sparkles & bling. After all of my cruises on her though I've found that you really can't see anyone's outfit because there is such a crush in the Ambassador lounge. So, lightweight dress and a nice necklace will do. I also travel with lightweight black slacks and a couple of tops that I can jazz up with fancy but cheap earrings.

BTW - the night of the cocktail party, the dining room is packed so forego the 2nd glass of wine and head downstairs early - by 7:00 very few tables left.

Shar

I think that the only dress code they enforce is no shorts for men in the main dining room. I once tried to get in wearing shorts and was politely asked to go back to my cabin and change to long pants.

Was just reading about the Odyssey Club on the VTA website. Sounds like the captains reception is just for retuning cruisers. Since we are newbies, I assume we will not get an invitation to that reception.

Not sure how they have an exclusive event like that on such a small ship. So, I am assuming I don't need to pack the dress and high heels or is there another Captains welcome dinner or some such thing? I do tend to over pack/dress, so I am really trying to cut back on this cruise.

There is a Captain's thing for everyone then assorted parties/ receptions etc for other groups. I generally avoid them but I do go to the first one since all of the officers are introduced.

As I said, unless they hold it outside around the pool ( and that's a small area too ), you'll be packed in there so a fancy top or bling should do it.

All in all my best advice to you is take comfortable shoes - some of the tours - walking on cobbles, steps or sometimes dirt - are more in keeping with a Gap tour. I'm biased though - older, very heavy and bad knee.

Shar

Hi Linda, hope this message is not duplicated. Was having trouble

this a.m. with website. We are getting excited as it is about 2 weeks

until the trip begins. I will give comments when we return. I hope you

enjoy your trip also. What’s not to like, beautiful country, beautiful weather

and interesting people to meet.

Diane

Thanks Diane, much appreciated. Have a wonderful holiday! Linda.

Wi fi on the AO: how fast is it? How much is it- read somewhere that is less expensive than mainstream Cruise lines?

Just trying to decide if I need to buy a data package for my phone or just muddle through with freebies on land and ship wifi.

Thanks again,

Mary

As always it's weather related for speed and availability but overall it's not too bad. I can always manage to get in touch with folks to let them know things are okay at least once in a 12 hour period. On good days I've seen pax playing games on the desktops in the computer room.

As for price, I don't know this year's charges but I've found them to be the cheapest of any line I've travelled with and no initialization cost. I'd be interested in seeing if they've changed that one.

Hot spots - lounge area near desk, top deck lounge and the smoking area ( that really not too many people use so it should be clear.) and lots of central cabins.

Full disclosure - I do get free WiFi now after over 100 days on board.

Shar

Thanks for the quick reply Shar. Just what I needed to know.

....just 2 weeks to go,- I am so looking forward to getting away from the endless winter here! Low 20's in Greece, Dubrovnik and Italy -woo hoo!

You're welcome and I hope you have a lovely trip. I've done the same area in bits and pieces with VTA and I enjoyed everyone of the ports. If you're lucky your Dubrovnik port guide might take you the back way. It's far less crowded and it's fun to see the back streets with little shops and cafe's and the locals just living their life.

Shar

For Mary,

From CC's review:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=582&pgtype=activities

"The ship's internet room consists of six terminals. Prices are: $3.50 for 30 minutes, $6 for 60 minutes, $18 for four hours and $28 for 12 hours."

That was the price I paid a few years ago. I do not know whether it is still current. The speed was slow. It felt like I was back in the 9600 bits per second telephone modem days. I used it for email, and turned off all images and it was o.k. 12 hours lasted us over 4 weeks.