Bonaire Decisions

HangryGrl

We are looking to snorkel in Bonaire and our cruise is not until January 2018 but we are already having issues finding an excursion. Woodwind is completely booked for the day we are in Bonaire, SeaCow only offers trips through the cruise line ($44/person direct through them but $75 through Royal) :rolleyes: and Good Returns Water Taxi's site says they are "closed until further notice". I have emails into Compass and Windows to the Sea for their availabliity. I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? We are fine doing DIY things (like taking the water taxi). We are both expereinced snorkelers, good swimmers and have our own equipment. I would also welcome any details/opinions on Compass or Windows to the Sea. I have not been able to find any specifics how long you are able to actually snorkel on either excursion. TIA!! :)

I had the same issue when looking at snorkeling trips. We ended up renting golf carts and we have a map of snorkel sites. We will bring our snorkel gear and hope we can find some spots to go in on our own. From what I've gathered a lot of snorkel spots are right off the shore.

There's a ferryboat to Klein Bonaire located next door to the pier. If all you need is reef to snorkel on, it's a good way to go.

Thanks! I looked into Good Returns Water Taxi that has been mentioned on these boards but their website says they are "closed until further notice". Do you remember the name of the ferry/water taxi company you used? I'd like to check their time tables and rates before going.

Try Buddy Dive Resort, Bonaire. We dove with them off Carnival's Vista in March this year. Their dive shop is right on the shoreline and a short ride from the cruise ship docks. The reefs are right off the dive shop/shoreline also.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Bonaire is known as a mecca for shore diving because almost all the island's dive sites (other than those off Klein Bonaire) are accessible from the shore. Don't pay someone to take you on a tour. Rent a car for the same price as a tour for one person and your group can check out several snorkeling spots and do a little other sightseeing as well. It's not the high-voltage diving you get in places with deep walls, but it's pretty unbeatable for shallow reef diving and those sites are totally suitable for snorkelers.

Bonaire is known as a mecca for shore diving because almost all the island's dive sites (other than those off Klein Bonaire) are accessible from the shore. Don't pay someone to take you on a tour. Rent a car for the same price as a tour for one person and your group can check out several snorkeling spots and do a little other sightseeing as well. It's not the high-voltage diving you get in places with deep walls, but it's pretty unbeatable for shallow reef diving and those sites are totally suitable for snorkelers.

Seconding all of the above!

• 1 month later...
We are looking to snorkel in Bonaire and our cruise is not until January 2018 but we are already having issues finding an excursion. Woodwind is completely booked for the day we are in Bonaire, SeaCow only offers trips through the cruise line ($44/person direct through them but $75 through Royal) :rolleyes: and Good Returns Water Taxi's site says they are "closed until further notice". I have emails into Compass and Windows to the Sea for their availabliity. I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? We are fine doing DIY things (like taking the water taxi). We are both expereinced snorkelers, good swimmers and have our own equipment. I would also welcome any details/opinions on Compass or Windows to the Sea. I have not been able to find any specifics how long you are able to actually snorkel on either excursion. TIA!! :)

We used Compass March 2017. Highly recommend them

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When we did the Woodwind they sailed up the channel between the main island and Klein Bonaire (which is the little island/reef across from the port). They then sailed back and we got in the water just off Klein Bonaire and drift snorkeled with the current just off shore. It was very good snorkeling. They then had food and drink afterwards on board.

I second getting on the waiting list for the Woodwind, people cancel all the time. If you don't get on, rent a water taxi and go over or just walk down the shore and snorkle. There were a number of groups snorkeling off shore when we were there.

• 4 months later...