Tipping in Rome

jshli

Whatever the culture may be, there is nothing wrong with recognizing exceptional service by rounding up a bill amount and/or leaving change on the table.
Completely wrong, and a completely American attitude. In some cultures it would be as insulting as it would be in the States if you tossed a few bills on the examination table as you left your doctor's office, but I know there is no chance of convincing some people of this.

I'm not saying that this is the case in Italy specifically, I doubt if many servers in a restaurant would be insulted, it's more like bemused. Other professionals in Italy would be insulted, however, so if you care about making others feel rewarded, consider that before you act.

RIL is an American company operating in a foreign market...up until a year or so ago, RIL did have information on their website suggesting that a tip should be offered and even suggesting a percentage.

By the way, this only ever comes up in conversations about tipping because it's the only place it's relevant. It originally was mentioned a couple of years ago because posters used RIL's web site suggesting a tip as "proof" that tipping was expected in Italy. That's why it was pointed out that they are an American company working with American expectations and mores, and not representative of the Italian culture.

Completely wrong, and a completely American attitude. In some cultures it would be as insulting as it would be in the States if you tossed a few bills on the examination table as you left your doctor's office, but I know there is no chance of convincing some people of this.

I'm not saying that this is the case in Italy specifically, I doubt if many servers in a restaurant would be insulted, it's more like bemused. Other professionals in Italy would be insulted, however, so if you care about making others feel rewarded, consider that before you act.

No one here is talking about tipping your doctor or any other "professional."

In any case: To each his own. If a table server feels "offended," they could easily respond: "This is appreciated but unnecessary. Thank you anyway."

BTW, what exactly do you mean by "American attitude?" I assume you realize that the US is among the most culturally diverse of developed countries across the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never realised that RIL is an American company, mainly because during the many times I've been to Rome I've stayed with friends. However, I would do as previously stated and find a small local tour operator should I ever need one.

With regard to tipping somebody because they have done a good job I wouldn't expect them to do anything but. Incidentally, guides and drivers earn good money even before receiving any tips.

So, as I have already said, we don't want or need adequately paid employees to receive out of proportion US style tips.

In any case: To each his own. If a table server feels "offended," they could easily respond: "This is appreciated but unnecessary. Thank you anyway."

BTW, what exactly do you mean by "American attitude?" I assume you realize that the US is among the most culturally diverse of developed countries across the world.

Just because someone is not "offended" by a tip doesn't make it right, if tipping is not part of the cultural norm.

If someone from Italy came to the US and did not leave a tip for a restaurant server (because they do not in their own country), and the server did not complain, would you also think they did the right thing because the server did not protest? Funny how it is when the shoe is on the other foot....

There have been any number of discussions on why tipping is harmful when it is not part of the local culture, not least of which is that it CHANGES the norms for those who actually have to live there year-round.

In my book, a good traveler is one who follows local custom and social convention wherever possible. Of course there will always be those who stomp cluelessly through life always believing their way is the best way and no one could possibly be offended by it.

Perhaps you need to look inward...when talking about an "American Attitude." Just your posts here on tipping reflect just was I was trying to explain in my earlier post. Besides, haven't you ever heard the saying, "In Rome, do as the Roman's do!"

Hank

Just because someone is not "offended" by a tip doesn't make it right, if tipping is not part of the cultural norm.

If someone from Italy came to the US and did not leave a tip for a restaurant server (because they do not in their own country), and the server did not complain, would you also think they did the right thing because the server did not protest? Funny how it is when the shoe is on the other foot....

There have been any number of discussions on why tipping is harmful when it is not part of the local culture, not least of which is that it CHANGES the norms for those who actually have to live there year-round.

In my book, a good traveler is one who follows local custom and social convention wherever possible. Of course there will always be those who stomp cluelessly through life always believing their way is the best way and no one could possibly be offended by it.

Although "change" may come at an understandably slow pace, cultures are not static. Some of "today's" customs may have very different twenty years ago and will be even more different twenty years in the future. And, perhaps most importantly, the diversity in what might be considered "cultural norms" is growing at an exponential rate.

Again, tipping in any cosmopolitan city worldwide is no longer "our way or the highway." At it's best, it will continue to morph until it finds a comfortable spot of being understood as one form of a recognition for excellent service AND no better or worse than a hearty handshake or pat on the back for a job well done.

In essence, the ideal would be for folks in the SERVICE industry to adjust to the varied styles and practices of the paying customer rather than the other way around. That's just common sense.

Perhaps you need to look inward...when talking about an "American Attitude." Just your posts here on tipping reflect just was I was trying to explain in my earlier post. Besides, haven't you ever heard the saying, "In Rome, do as the Roman's do!"

Hank

My point exactly: Rome is a very diverse, cosmopolitan city: "Do as the Romans do?" Which Romans? Overgeneralizing that all Romans and Roman businesses look or act alike is thinking that may have made more sense when it was the Roman Empire.

Likewise, which "American attitude?" East LA and Boise Idaho are vastly different in oh-so-many ways. In fact, the same goes for East LA and West LA.

Likewise, which "American attitude?" East LA and Boise Idaho are vastly different in oh-so-many ways. In fact, the same goes for East LA and West LA.
They are not so different when it comes to tipping which, again, is the point of this discussion. The percentage may vary slightly higher on the coasts, but the tipping norm is the same.

The hope is that this discussion at least opens the thinking of other more receptive minds. In the end, each of us is going to do what we feel is "right" in any given situation but understanding the environment allows us to make a more informed choice.

They are not so different when it comes to tipping which, again, is the point of this discussion. The percentage may vary slightly higher on the coasts, but the tipping norm is the same.

The hope is that this discussion at least opens the thinking of other more receptive minds. In the end, each of us is going to do what we feel is "right" in any given situation but understanding the environment allows us to make a more informed choice.

You are correct that we should do what we feel is right and that the environment is a consideration. But, equally important is the need to understand that the environment is no longer "one size fits all."

And finally, with the understanding that there are unacceptable obnoxious fringe behaviors wherever one may travel, the general rule of good business practice in the service industry is that "the customer is always right" regardless of their country of origin.

the general rule of good business practice in the service industry is that "the customer is always right" regardless of their country of origin.

Believe it or not, there are places in this world where that is not the general rule. However, Italy is not one of them and this is the Italy forum so, point taken.

Although, if you walk into an Italian clothing store and start handling the goods you'll find out very quickly that they don't think the customer is always right. You don't touch their stuff and they'll let you know in no uncertain terms.

And finally, with the understanding that there are unacceptable obnoxious fringe behaviors wherever one may travel, the general rule of good business practice in the service industry is that "the customer is always right" regardless of their country of origin.

Actually that old saw has been rejected by quite a few influential thinkers, even in the US, even in the service industry. If you Google something like "why the customer isn't always right" you'll get some interesting results....

You could try all the accents in the world. But the sneakers and shorts will give you away.

I NEVER travel in sneakers and shorts. I do have my black dress and black lace head covering to disguise myself as an Italian nanna ;-) (ever see "My Blue Heaven"???)

Read their website! What's wrong with you people? Tips not required.....

Read their website! What's wrong with you people? It says tips are always welcome...

That will appear to some naive Americans, accustomed to tipping for every little thing, that they should tip. If you fall into that trap, feel free. Just like the tour bus driver who has the cute little box at the front, seeded with a little money, and tells people before they leave, it's not required, but always appreciated...

People who book these private tours are, in my opinion, looking for the "sanitized" visit, as cruisemom said. Since they are out and among the people and probably haven't done much research because they expect their driver to tell them, they still behave like an American in the USA rather than a tourist in a foreign country. So, they do not understand that their tipping, loud talk, is not appropriate in another setting.

Edited by slidergirl

I was just in Rome a couple of weeks ago for a few days and spoke to several waiters and tour guides in Italian (which I am fluent in) about tipping. Every single person said that they regard the American way of tipping a way of thanking them for good service and that is why they go beyond in service for an American. This isn't one person. This was at least 10 different people including taxi cab drivers. I find it insulting some of the comments on this thread about Americans and tipping. Also, I noticed a lot more visitors in Rome from other countries, not just Americans that have more offensive habits than tipping such as chain smoking everywhere. My feeling is leave a tip if you like the service and if they don't want it, they can leave it for the next customer or throw it in the trash. Every person I tipped, thanked me and was very happy. Some of the waiters said that they had read that you shouldn't tip in Rome and they were surprised at that rumor. If you are from a culture that doesn't tip, then don't.

Why is it on this forum that any opportunity to attack Rome In Limo is grabbed.....they offer a great service, they do a great job, they are on time everytime....

It seems that because they are popular they are such an easy target.

The website does NOT state tips are required, they ARE appreciated....of course they are.

And why should I care if they are an American company........

I don't get the repeated attacks this company receives from a few posters here....it's almost as though they have a personal vendetta against the company. I've used them AND others in Italy....they've been better and I wouldn't even consider a different company the next time I come to Rome.

As far as tipping is concerned which is WHAT this thread is supposed to be about, NOT about a specific company...to each his own...we do when it is appropriate....if you don't want to then don't ....according to some here that would be just fine too....so do what YOU want to do.....

Amen....they are a fantastic, well run company.

Just for the record, I have spent several weeks in Italy every year for approximately the last 10 years, in various parts of the country from north to south. I hardly think my statements are outdated or limited. I speak and understand enough Italian that I actually book tours in Italian in various cities and trust me, you do NOT see Italian tour participants tipping the guide afterwards.

It's clear that some will only hear what they want to hear. It's a bit amusing to read that tour guides and those in the industry are in favor of tips. Well, sure. No one has said that Italy is a country where tipping is regarded as insulting. I'm sure if you asked an American worker whether they'd like an increase in their wages, they wouldn't say no either.

But that's not at all the point. What most people seem not to understand is that:

1) workers in Italy including waiters, drivers, guides, etc. are paid full wages; they do not depend on tips.

2) tipping, when it does occur, is not in the range of the 10% - 15% - 20% commonly thought of by Americans.

Think about the following statement by jean87510: "Every single person said that they regard the American way of tipping a way of thanking them for good service and that is why they go beyond in service for an American." If you follow that to the obvious conclusion, you've got the Ugly American throwing his/her money around to get special treatment.

If you want to travel that way, feel free. If you want to be the kind of traveler who observes local custom and tips the way locals tip, then heed the sensible advice and tip sparingly and only to show genuine appreciation, NOT to 'get better treatment'.

When eating in Italy and many European countries there is often a 10% service charge added and if you read the menu's it often says this in small print.

Il coperto is a charge for the table setting -not the service.

Thanks, usually i get an English language menu when in Europe and it often says a 10% service charge is added if you look close enough.

Thanks, usually i get an English language menu when in Europe and it often says a 10% service charge is added if you look close enough.

You might be surprised to know that when you don't get the menu in English (or eat in a restaurant that doesn't have them), this service charge is often missing... ;p

You might be surprised to know that when you don't get the menu in English (or eat in a restaurant that doesn't have them), this service charge is often missing... ;p

My Italian experience was in Venice and Rome only.

Yes - but the definition of "service" in this particular case (il coperto) is the charge for the place setting and (in some places) bread on the table. BTW, it is illegal to charge il coperto in Lazio (incl. Rome).

The reason it is missing in Rome is because it is illegal to charge il coperto in Lazio.

Yes - but the definition of "service" in this particular case (il coperto) is the charge for the place setting and (in some places) bread on the table. BTW, it is illegal to charge il coperto in Lazio (incl. Rome).

Often the charge is added if you sit down at a table as opposed to eating tapas standing at the bar but i heard about the bread charge too.