Tipping in Rome

jshli

Yes - but the definition of "service" in this particular case (il coperto) is the charge for the place setting and (in some places) bread on the table. BTW, it is illegal to charge il coperto in Lazio (incl. Rome).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So if I see 10% on my bill and my fav restaurant near the pantheon or navona I should tell them to remove it ?

The reason it is missing in Rome is because it is illegal to charge il coperto in Lazio.

Servizio and coperto are two separate things. Either or both may be charged in various ways in Italy. As you correctly say, the pan e coperto (literally "bread and cover") charge is not legal in Lazio.

http://ciuitaly.com/blog/files/coperto-italian-restaurant-cover-charge.php

So if pan e coperto is on my Rome restaurant bill...which it definitely was in 2012...I should tell them to remove it?

Sure - you can do that - if it is, in fact, il coperto and not a mandatory gratuity (something increasingly done here in SF- to mixed reactions).

Sure - you can do that - if it is, in fact, il coperto and not a mandatory gratuity (something increasingly done here in SF- to mixed reactions).

Mandatory gratuity is for large parties correct

We are not a large party

That ties in with my original observations.

I'm not going to be tipping much on the upcoming trip

I've overtipped in the past this I know but did it for superior service from guides

I've left an additional tip in restaurants too

I'm not fretting that though

I'm thinking the only ones I'll tip 5/10e might be the private transfer drivers.

Mandatory gratuity is for large parties correct

We are not a large party

Many restaurants worldwide do that for "large" groups. However, there are a growing number of restaurants in certain cities (like SF), where a set gratuity (ranging from 15-18%) is added to the tab regardless of the size of the party.

Many restaurants worldwide do that for "large" groups. However, there are a growing number of restaurants in certain cities (like SF), where a set gratuity (ranging from 15-18%) is added to the tab regardless of the size of the party.

I'm asking about Rome though but thanks for the info about SF

Servizio and coperto are two separate things. Either or both may be charged in various ways in Italy. As you correctly say, the pan e coperto (literally "bread and cover") charge is not legal in Lazio.

http://ciuitaly.com/blog/files/coperto-italian-restaurant-cover-charge.php

As usual, you have correctly stated...

I'll happily pay the servizio. I have not seen pan e coperto the last 2 times I was in Rome. But, I don't take the english menu. No, I don't speak Italian, but I can figure out a menu and I can always look at Google Translate if I need a little help. I also research my restaurants ahead of time so I know what I want. Many of the good places have websites to browse, or I look to Katie Parla or Elizabeth Mincilli (either their websites or their apps) for guidance. I haven't had a bad surprise yet with anything I've ordered ;)

I was just in Rome a couple of weeks ago for a few days and spoke to several waiters and tour guides in Italian (which I am fluent in) about tipping. Every single person said that they regard the American way of tipping a way of thanking them for good service and that is why they go beyond in service for an American. This isn't one person. This was at least 10 different people including taxi cab drivers.

It's a nice anecdotal story and I'm sure it made you feel better about doing what you were going to do anyway, but what on earth would you expect them to say, in Italian or not? Someone who is a customer, asking me a question about whether or not I want a tip ... gosh, it's hard to come up with an appropriate response.

And given that the tip comes after the service, how does that compute with going beyond for an American? Does that mean that all Americans get better service because a few have tipped in the past? Doubtful ... and they would quickly be out of local/Italian customers once that behavior became obvious.

It's a nice anecdotal story and I'm sure it made you feel better about doing what you were going to do anyway, but what on earth would you expect them to say, in Italian or not? Someone who is a customer, asking me a question about whether or not I want a tip ... gosh, it's hard to come up with an appropriate response.

And given that the tip comes after the service, how does that compute with going beyond for an American? Does that mean that all Americans get better service because a few have tipped in the past? Doubtful ... and they would quickly be out of local/Italian customers once that behavior became obvious.

I think it is just being a nice person if you want to tip for great service.

I think it is just being a nice person if you want to tip for great service.

Or, if you are in a country where tipping is not the norm and you are an American (everyone here says that locals can spot an American tourist from a kilometer away), you are being pandered to in order to get a little extra from you because you are so nice...

Or, if you are in a country where tipping is not the norm and you are an American (everyone here says that locals can spot an American tourist from a kilometer away), you are being pandered to in order to get a little extra from you because you are so nice...

I am from England and yes part of customer service is making people feel special whether it is genuine or not but i always tip and give more if the service has been excellent.

I am from England and yes part of customer service is making people feel special whether it is genuine or not but i always tip and give more if the service has been excellent.

So, would you tip the helpful sales assistant in M and S and the efficient cashier in the bank because they gave you excellent service? They are all doing the job they are paid to do and of course a smile and pleasantries are appreciated, but they get paid to do their work.

So, would you tip the helpful sales assistant in M and S and the efficient cashier in the bank because they gave you excellent service? They are all doing the job they are paid to do and of course a smile and pleasantries are appreciated, but they get paid to do their work.

Thats a bit silly,we all know we are talking about waiters and waitresses.

Ok this is my 7th trip to Italy and basically up to this point I've given the fco/Rome/port drivers 10%

At restaurants regardless of service and cover perhaps the same which is now a mistake I see

Tour guides 5/10e for a day tour/excursion

Hotel housekeeping actually 0 but not sure why

That's for 6 of us in total

So yes or no

Do I leave anything?

Do I leave minimal?

Do I round up?

Fwiw when in Barcelona in 2012 visiting family and the outdoor cafe bill for the sangria came and I tried to leave 10% and my niece was adamant and wouldn't let me do that

She said just round up!!!!! To the nearest euro!!!! Not 15e to 20e but 14.50 e to 15 e.

Done!!!!

Guess I'll do that this trip to Italy too

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On reflection these are valid points.Hairdressers and taxi drivers too spring to mind where tips are given.

If i go to Starbucks or McDonald's and get the food and drink myself i would never leave a tip its only in restaurants where waiters bring the food and drink to us that i will leave a tip.

Thats a bit silly,we all know we are talking about waiters and waitresses.

I know ( obviously) we are talking about waiting staff, but in most European countries it is considered a serious profession and they are paid the appropriate salary.

Surely, you have seen older staff waiting at tBles in Spain, Italy, France etc its because those people have been in their profession all their lives. Not like in the UK where the jobs are filled by a student trying to supplement their studies or a foreigner wanting to improve their English.

I know ( obviously) we are talking about waiting staff, but in most European countries it is considered a serious profession and they are paid the appropriate salary.

Surely, you have seen older staff waiting at tBles in Spain, Italy, France etc its because those people have been in their profession all their lives. Not like in the UK where the jobs are filled by a student trying to supplement their studies or a foreigner wanting to improve their English.

Yes i have been traveling to Spain etc for 50 years since i was 11 and waiters and waitresses do tend to be more mature but these countries have relied on tourism all this time so they do tend to stick to these professionals.

• 2 weeks later...

Whether for port or airport transfers I pay by credit card. Unlike in NYC, there is no tip line on the receipt to be signed. Methinks they don't expect it. Same for restaurants; no tip line. When in Rome..... As for taxis, since most don't accept credit cards, round up to the nearest euro unless you have exact change.

As for bellmen, porters, hotel maids, concierges that's up to you..

You might be surprised to know that when you don't get the menu in English (or eat in a restaurant that doesn't have them), this service charge is often missing... ;p

cruisemom42 - this is true? ore you just being facetious? :-)