Tipping in Rome

jshli

As an American family who travels a lot, we follow the norm/culture (or whatever word one chooses here) of our destination, whether that is out of USA or another state within USA. It irks me when we have people visit us and say back at home we do it this way or that way. Great that's back at home!

We are going to Europe to experience a culture different from home, and are excited to learn about it. So, I appreciate the comments from those who are from Europe (and I am ready for the daggers to be thrown at me for making this comment).

I have only been to Europe once before - back when I was a college exchange student with a small travel budget. We will be visiting Athens, Rome, London and France besides our Med Cruise (going to Naples, Barcelona, Marseilles). So if I read this thread correctly - no tipping in any of these places, right? I do not want to insult another culture or impose my culture of them.

lifeasme

Correct. We don't leave huge tips. If you feel you have had good service just round up to the next Euro or add some change. If the service has been very good, say in a restaurant leave 5% maximum.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

cruisemom42 - this is true? ore you just being facetious? :-)

Well "often" might be stretching the point a bit -- but I have definitely eaten in restaurants where I've noticed that the "English" menu has higher prices or a higher service charge.

Here are a few things that are really important to know in regard to restaurants in Italy (Rome particularly):

1. You should NEVER order something that's described to you by your waiter as a 'special' without clearly understanding the cost. Many tourists have been caught unaware and end up paying exorbitant amounts for items that are pushed on them this way. Fish and some meat (e.g., steak) are often sold by weight, so be sure you understand what you are ordering...

2. Adding a "servizio" (service charge) is legal as long as it is listed on the menu. (You usually have to look hard for it -- small type, bottom of page, etc.) Adding a "pane e coperto" (bread and cover) charge is NOT legal in Rome but is legal elsewhere in Italy.

I have only been to Europe once before - back when I was a college exchange student with a small travel budget. We will be visiting Athens, Rome, London and France besides our Med Cruise (going to Naples, Barcelona, Marseilles). So if I read this thread correctly - no tipping in any of these places, right? I do not want to insult another culture or impose my culture of them.

Here's a good summary of tipping and charges in Italy. Particularly read the last section about tipping: http://ciuitaly.com/blog/files/coperto-italian-restaurant-cover-charge.php

It's worth noting that every country is slightly different. In Spain tipping is even less expected than Italy; France probably also has its own rules. But in general, there is no widespread US-style tipping among these countries by locals.

lifeasme

Correct. We don't leave huge tips. If you feel you have had good service just round up to the next Euro or add some change. If the service has been very good, say in a restaurant leave 5% maximum.

The standard tip in restaurants in England is 10 per cent. However people do vary in how much they tip, as you can tell by LondonTowner's post!

• 1 month later...

Cab drivers in Rome love to Rip off American's we had one who picked us up at the cruise terminal gave us a price to the hotel and when we got there tried to charge us that price for each of us! I went into the hotel lobby and asked them to call the police, he quickly took his original price quote and fled!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cab drivers in Rome love to Rip off American's we had one who picked us up at the cruise terminal gave us a price to the hotel and when we got there tried to charge us that price for each of us! I went into the hotel lobby and asked them to call the police, he quickly took his original price quote and fled!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yiks! I would have called the police too 😳

I really don't understand the tipping obsession. Generally in Europe tipping is not the norm , so don't tip. At the end of the day it is very unlikely you are ever going to encounter that person again, so who cares.

I really don't understand the tipping obsession. Generally in Europe tipping is not the norm , so don't tip. At the end of the day it is very unlikely you are ever going to encounter that person again, so who cares.

A small token of appreciation can often be rewarded in unexpected ways. Numerous small tips can give a feel good factor for everyone.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

A small token of appreciation can often be rewarded in unexpected ways. Numerous small tips can give a feel good factor for everyone.

I'm not sure I understand this - the giver of a tip gets rewarded? How does that happen after the fact, unless you're talking about tipping someone you have an ongoing relationship with?

Regarding everyone ... try offering your doctor a small tip and see how good she/he feels about you. (I know this is an absurd example but the point is that not everyone sees things the same way you do and what you perceive as generosity can be an insult to someone else.)

Even more absurd, try offering your congressperson a financial tip. Where is the line when a tip becomes a bribe?

I guess my point is that in our own cultures we come to understand the lines, we get the nuances of what is appropriate (or legal) and what is not. Unless you're talking about a culture that has no tipping at all, it isn't easy to quickly come up to speed on all of these nuances of another culture and sweeping generalizations aren't helpful.

Edited by euro cruiser

I'm not sure I understand this - the giver of a tip gets rewarded? How does that happen after the fact, unless you're talking about tipping someone you have an ongoing relationship with?

Regarding everyone ... try offering your doctor a small tip and see how good she/he feels about you. (I know this is an absurd example but the point is that not everyone sees things the same way you do and what you perceive as generosity can be an insult to someone else.)

Even more absurd, try offering your congressperson a financial tip. Where is the line when a tip becomes a bribe?

I guess my point is that in our own cultures we come to understand the lines, we get the nuances of what is appropriate (or legal) and what is not. Unless you're talking about a culture that has no tipping at all, it isn't easy to quickly come up to speed on all of these nuances of another culture and sweeping generalizations aren't helpful.

I am from England.

You can be rewarded in different ways,you might get a better meal, stronger drink or just the feel good factor that you have made someone else happy who have done their best to give you excellent customer service.

I am from England.

You can be rewarded in different ways,you might get a better meal, stronger drink or just the feel good factor that you have made someone else happy who have done their best to give you excellent customer service.

I'm from England too - and I do tip, but after the service, so how do you get a better meal or a stronger drink unless you're 'tipping' before, in which case isn't it a bribe? ;p

I'm from England too - and I do tip, but after the service, so how do you get a better meal or a stronger drink unless you're 'tipping' before, in which case isn't it a bribe? ;p

If we get great service we often go back to that restaurant and often they remember us probably because we are pleasant back and tip well.

It is then that we get a better steak etc.

Many times in Spain when we have tipped they have brought a free liqueur afterwards.

In Spain they often bring a drink to all customers, it's just something they do. As Spaniards don't tip, then they don't give it a second thought if somebody tips or not and is the norm throughout Europe.

In Spain they often bring a drink to all customers, it's just something they do. As Spaniards don't tip, then they don't give it a second thought if somebody tips or not and is the norm throughout Europe.

Thats probably why they are so pleased when i leave a tip.

This year it will be 50 years since i first went to Spain and have been most years since to one of their islands and always left a few pesetas and euros.

Well, when I'm with my friends from Seville they may round up to the next Euro, but never leave more. It's just not the custom, although people do tend to leave a small tip in tourist areas.

Some people say it is not customary to leave tips in England but like most places no one will refuse a tip.

This thread is very interesting. But for some folks we would just remind them that the term "ugly American" is alive and well when it comes to Americans abroad. Many of my fellow Americans take a very ethnocentric approach to tipping and some other basis mores. Yes, in American we have a tipping culture (which some would say has gotten out of control) which is accepted by most. Fail to tip in a restaurant and you are liable to have an angry waiter/waitress chasing you down the block ).

But when one goes abroad, they should act like a guest and do their best to blend in with the local culture. So when you are in Turkey or Saudi Arabia it is fine (and a good thing) to burp after a good meal. But if you cross your legs and show the sole of your shoe to your host....that is considered a major insult!

In Europe the tipping culture is different then in the USA. Trying to project our tipping culture on Europe is just being an Ugly American....and can often be resented by the very person you are tipping (they see you as a boastful American throwing around your money). It is relatively easy to learn about local, regional and national tipping cultures by simply looking on the internet or reading most guide books. Those who try to push their own tipping views on other cultures are just projecting a degree of ignorance mixed with "my way is better then yours."

Hank

I'm not saying they will refuse them, it is just not expected, particularly in countries like Spain, France or Italy where being a waiter is considered a profession and good ones can be earning high salaries.

In Europe the tipping culture is different then in the USA. Trying to project our tipping culture on Europe is just being an Ugly American....and can often be resented by the very person you are tipping (they see you as a boastful American throwing around your money). It is relatively easy to learn about local, regional and national tipping cultures by simply looking on the internet or reading most guide books. Those who try to push their own tipping views on other cultures are just projecting a degree of ignorance mixed with "my way is better then yours."

Hank

Very very well said Hank. Thank you. I only wish more Americans had your attitude and understanding of the way things are in Europe - i.e. not the same as they are in America

Some people say it is not customary to leave tips in England but like most places no one will refuse a tip.

I'm not meaning to single you out, but I find this statement infuriating. What does someone refusing a tip or not have to do with the overall tipping culture of a society? If you give a child a piece of candy, he or she is probably not going to refuse it either. But you have to take into consideration his/her parents wishes, as well. Same is true in this situation, writ large.

Tipping doesn't only impact the person giving and the person receiving the tip. It changes the culture. Expected patterns change for the locals who actually have to live in these places because of those entitled tourists who waltz in for a few days and decide THEY feel like ignoring the local norms. Pretty soon locals, who never needed or expected to tip before, must do so as well.

Edited to add: I also wanted to point out that what most of us on this thread have objected to is not the sometimes deserved slight rounding up of a cab fare or a euro or two left on the table after a meal for good service. It's the 20% tip (or more) given automatically at restaurants or to tour guides who are already making a fair living and who would never dream of advertising an expected gratuity to a European clientele.

I'm not meaning to single you out, but I find this statement infuriating. What does someone refusing a tip or not have to do with the overall tipping culture of a society? If you give a child a piece of candy, he or she is probably not going to refuse it either. But you have to take into consideration his/her parents wishes, as well. Same is true in this situation, writ large.

Tipping doesn't only impact the person giving and the person receiving the tip. It changes the culture. Expected patterns change for the locals who actually have to live in these places because of those entitled tourists who waltz in for a few days and decide THEY feel like ignoring the local norms. Pretty soon locals, who never needed or expected to tip before, must do so as well.

Edited to add: I also wanted to point out that what most of us on this thread have objected to is not the sometimes deserved slight rounding up of a cab fare or a euro or two left on the table after a meal for good service. It's the 20% tip (or more) given automatically at restaurants or to tour guides who are already making a fair living and who would never dream of advertising an expected gratuity to a European clientele.

Problem is with free movement of people everywhere is becoming multicultural whether we like it or not so long held cultures have gone out the window unfortunately.