iphone on the Epic

AK Dreaming

I have sailed in Alaska and the Caribbean with Verizon as my service provider. I receive emails from other iphone users on board even when I have my roaming off. I also got messages and sent messages without any extra charge to Iphone users back home. Will the same work in Europe?

We have Sprint. Last year, we used our phone to call friends and family but we made sure we had Wireless. We used WIFI calling. Sprint would charge us if we are overseas but Wifi calling is free internationally and yes is on Iphone...we turned off data and service but kept the WIFI on.

I have sailed in Alaska and the Caribbean with Verizon as my service provider. I receive emails from other iphone users on board even when I have my roaming off. I also got messages and sent messages without any extra charge to Iphone users back home. Will the same work in Europe?

Whilst using an internet package or no?

While using internet, sure. iMessage, the blue bubbles on iPhones, are sent via internet.

If not using internet, from what I understand, there is or was a weird loophole where people with and iPhone and the iconcierge app but not internet would get their iMessages sent and received. I don't know if they have fixed this loophole, and I don't think you should count on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If not using internet, from what I understand, there is or was a weird loophole where people with and iPhone and the iconcierge app but not internet would get their iMessages sent and received. I don't know if they have fixed this loophole, and I don't think you should count on it.

There is a "bug" in their system that allows this. How long that continues, or if will continue to work with the tiered internet plan,,,, only time will tell. Don't expect it. Appreciate it, if it works.

Users back home will not get charges. As far as the "system" is concerned, they are calling/texting your home phone. You will (normally) get charged for answering the phone or receiving a text.

The only way you should be getting these is

a) You have a plan with Verizon - but cellular roaming has to be on

b) You are logged into ships wifi, or some wifi somewhere

You should not be getting these for free. Maybe a fault with Ships Wifi?

It's a known loophole, open secret running for past several years, on different NCL ships ... I'm surprised that they haven't closed or patched up the codes for the ports involved, enjoy & use while it last. For Android devices - we've managed to get the message "headers" thru to us while on the ships, not the full text or SMS, but enough as a preview - with cellular/roaming data OFF, WiFi enabled & connected to ship's free WiFi inTRAnet (but not the "paid" WiFi inTERnet using the included minutes/MB data). With the UNlimited data plan on the ship, everything would obviously & should work ... not just the partial message headers. I can confirm that this is valid on our Nexus 5X (by LG), BLU R1HD (dual sim) and Nexus 6, as well as iPhone 5S ... with home services on T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T and Project Fi.

Just a word of caution: WiFi calling under carrier's plan as an option, might, could - possibly - be billed & deducted as either home minutes or roaming minutes (as international or global) by NCL's satellite ISP (MTN listed for the Gem) if they ever catch up to it. Enjoy those free minutes and texting while it last - but, do keep your eyes on billing after coming home - it can take 1 or 2 extra cycle for billings to get posted to your postpaid account. Thus far, this has not been reported by anyone as happening ... knock on woods !! Once their I.T. come up with the fix and/or patches, it will be blocked and shut down without notice or warning.

For example, if this is working, your device on a given NCL ship, will have periodic updates on SMS pushed or delivered to your device, with cellular/roaming data OFF and only WiFi enabled or ON. SMS and TXT message headers including those for our Hangouts App also "slipped" thru. Posts & unread threads on Tapatalk will also show up on the "Home" screen if configured to received them.

iPhone & iPads seemed to get more "functional" use of these loopholes for the moment.