Fashion Show

judy&steve

My organization holds a fashion show and luncheon every November. Our show was on the 10th, two weeks ago. We usually expect between 350-400 attendees, this year we had close to 450. It was wonderful. Last year, I co-chaired the event and this year I acted as "advisor".

We use professional producers and they pull the clothing from the store who agrees to provide the clothing for the show. This year, we had an Israeli designer -- Rickie Freeman -- who was actually in attendance for the show. We featured her trunk, as well as many other items from our store. We have a jewelry store who provides all the sparkle and security!! and a lingerie store, who had the Gottex trunk for summer. Also a bridal salon. And a furrier who showed entirely Israeli furs. Oh, we have hats galore, purses, shoes, and kid's clothes.

I used to attend this event with my mom, who passed away six years ago. I became active in the organization after her death. She used to go with my grandmother. This event has been in existence since the 60s.

It's a big deal in our community. Everybody dresses as if they were in the fashion show. Out from storage come the furs! We attract women of all ages.

It's a lot of fun and hard work and I love it.

Because of my work with this show, another organization asked me to help with a smaller event in the spring. It will be a shoe (you know me and shoes;)) fashion show and auction.

--Judy

Hi Judy, thanks for posting, this sounds like a wonderful event. I would love to go to something like that.

Is it a fundraiser? May I ask, what is Israli furs?

I'm so glad it turned out so well, good luck with your spring event.!!!

Oh yes, where did you say you live?

Our event is held as a marketing device to thank women for investing in Israel Bonds. We have always had fashions that come from Israeli designers, including the fur coats and bathing suits! Funny combination, isn't it. The furs, I believe, were mostly shearlings. I live in Baltimore, Maryland.

My spring event will be totally different because it will be a fundraiser. Israel Bonds are not considered a charity, because they are investment instruments. Very nice interest rates, as well. We finance the entire luncheon and fashion show by Ad Book sales and a nominal couvert for the lunch.

Judy

Mrs Moose,

I had the same reaction, didn't know about any furry animals in Isreal, nor the need to wear fur in that climate. Understand now. :)

Judy,

Did you get to spend some time with Rickie? I've known her for many years and like her a lot. She's an incredible businesswoman as well as a very good designer though I'd consider her an american designer, because she runs her business out of NYC. Was anyone else from her company there with her... David or Magnolia?

For those of you who may not know her company, her label is Teri Jon and the label says "Rickie Freeman for Teri Jon". Her things are sold in every major dept. store. I recently bought a brown & black multi-fabric jacket from her that could look quite conservative paired with the matching skirt. However, it looks really cute and contemporary when I paired it with a black silk multi-tiered skirt.

Sounds like a really fun event. I went to the Gottex fashion show last month and it was incredible! Weren't the suits awesome?

Jane

Jane, I was invited to a reception to meet Rickie the night before, but was unable to attend. We are very busy the day before the show and I was exhausted and also preparing a birthday celebration for a very close friend that evening. Our sponsoring store managed to get a trunk show scheduled for the same time as our fashion show. Rickie Freeman was promoting her Jon line this time. I don't know if she came with any of her people. She was honored at our luncheon and given an award. She was shocked. Since she was born in Israel, we consider Rickie an Israeli designer!!

The Gottex suits were amazing. There was one that reminded me of Halle Berry's Oscar dress a few years ago -- with the flowers strategically placed.

I don't remember the name of the fur designer, but they were actually wearable coats for the most part. Our producers are great. Every year, they manage to pull off a very upbeat, energetic show.

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!!

--Judy

Judy,

Sounds like you've got a busy and fun season!

Yes, I remember the black Gottex suits with the strategically placed flowers. I'm sure many of them will never make it to a retail store, but they sure created a buzz at the show!

Happy Holiday's.

Jane

Archived