Favorite Breakfast on your cruise?

trinaM

My favorite breakfast is Kaiseki, on some of the Japanese cruise Lines.

14 exquisite courses:

• Saizuke – a small savory appetizer served before the meal.
  • Hassun – a seasonal themed sushi
  • Mukozuke – a seasonal sashimi
  • Takiawase – a medley of vegetables and fish or meat or tofu, all simmered separately
  • Futamono – “lidded dish” often very hearty and usually, but not always, a soup or stew
  • Yakimono – a broiled seafood dish, or eggplant, tofu, or bamboo shoots served grilled
  • Su-zakana – a palate refresher of mixed vegetables, served with a mild vinegar dressing
  • Hiyahi-bachi – summer only chilled-dish, fish or vegetables
  • Naka-choko – another palate refresher sometimes a chilled soup
  • Shiizakana – a hot pot dish, simmered or dressed
  • Gohan – rice course,  cooked with seasonal ingredients, topped with fresh seafood
  • Ko no mono – seasonal pickled vegetables
  • Tome-wan – soup served with rice and pickled vegetables. A miso based soup.
  • Mizumono – a seasonal dessert
Edited by Donald
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Thank you.  I'm not very familiar with Japanese culture but it read more like a dinner than a breakfast based on my American palate 😉 

Cultural differences are one of life's finest pleasures.

My Asian palate looks at an American Breakfast and says  "Heart Attack Special".

I think of that more with a full English breakfast.  I've seen some heavy American breakfasts but typically think of it as something light and quick - not what looks like a 2-3 hour meal.  Sushi and soup don't quite scream "breakfast" to me, but I'm glad the option is there for you to enjoy 🙂 

On 2/28/2020 at 4:23 PM, pacruise804 said:

full English breakfast.

This breakfast is, in my mind, a heart attack on a plate.  If, one ate all that was included.  I am glad that cruise ships are offering, particularly in their buffet restaurants, all of the selections that are included in the English Breakfast.  I would never have considered mushrooms or tomatoes to be part of my breakfast.  They are a worthy addition to my breakfast!  English Bacon?  I have tried it a couple of times.  Not to my taste.  (Maybe another reason for the success of the American Revolution?😉)

I wonder:  what does her Majesty the Queen have for Breakfast?  

8 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

But I think this year I would also like to try ship board Corned Beef Hash.....

Not sure which line you're sailing next, but we've really enjoyed the corned beef hash on all the ships we've sailed on. It's one of those little indulgences we allow ourselves, since we normally don't have it at home.

Hope you enjoy it! 

🙂

57 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Not sure which line you're sailing next, but we've really enjoyed the corned beef hash on all the ships we've sailed on. It's one of those little indulgences we allow ourselves, since we normally don't have it at home.

Hope you enjoy it! 

KroozNut,

The Cunard Line (Queen Mary 2)

And we always have Corned Beef Hash in the Freezer but no big deal making it fresh  since we have Corned Beef available to us all the time being in NYC. Always accessible at a deli.

Just wanted to taste another version made by someone else...

• Like 1

I don't have a favorite, "favorite".  It pretty much depends on the restaurant we are eating at, and their menu.  Some places its might be biscuits and gravy (if the gravy actually has sausage in it, and the meat isn't just waved over the pot and a little might fall in).  Others places maybe fried eggs or omelets, blueberry pancakes or pecan waffles.  All with sugar free syrup.  Of course sausage either link or patty preferred by me over bacon.  I eat a lot of bacon on burgers, but for breakfast I enjoy sausage.  Don

15 hours ago, airdale said:

its might be biscuits and gravy (

I am sure this is good.  I had a good friend who would frequently order this for breakfast.  I'd look at it and think:  a heart attack on a plate.  I just never have been able to convince myself to order it.  

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I am sure this is good.  I had a good friend who would frequently order this for breakfast.  I'd look at it and think:  a heart attack on a plate.  I just never have been able to convince myself to order it.  

One thing I've never had was Fried Chicken Steak with Country Gravy and Homemade Corn Bread.

I know TV Lawyer Matlock ate it as child while listening to the Lone Ranger for breakfast on a Saturdays....

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Fried Chicken Steak with Country Gravy

Country Fried Steak with a white gravy is good.  I always thought it was beef and not chicken.  Maybe, if it is chicken, it's a tiny bit heart healthy.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/31/2020 at 7:19 PM, sswansen said:

I love a good eggs benedict - the pork product that Viking uses tastes like country ham and it's delicious.  Also had some amazing berries and mascarpone in the Restaurant.

IMG_20191219_091938.jpg

Hi sswansen,

Hello from the East Coast.

That's my favorite first breakfast on the QM2. And also the day before or disembarkation morning breakfast.

Though your's sounds interesting, I like the traditional Canadian Ham or a NYS Hudson Valley Farm Smoked Ham so tasty..